Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

LED Aesthetics: What do you really think of your color?

Machupicchu

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good consensus. Thumbs up.

Also, placing in clusters mixes color better.

Why would clustering mix any better if your parallell strings were spaced tightly together? Wouldnt there be more spotlighting with clusters since theres more gaps?

As far as color mixing goes, spacing different colors closer together will reduce the amount of color overlap in shadows. But yes you have to be more careful of spotlighting as they will be spaced closer together.

As far as color mixing goes, spacing different colors closer together will reduce the amount of color overlap in shadows. But yes you have to be more careful of spotlighting as they will be spaced closer together.

Right..Just seems you could space parallell strings equally as close together as you would with a cluster, which would take care of the color blend and the spotlighting since there would be no cluster gaps.

Here is a little update on my stuff.

I have been testing a new red that is 660-675nm. This is right on par with the graphs like below.

c034f2c.gif

One of my buddies who is a marine biologist has confirmed that this red is crucial to the formation of chlorophyll. Other red is a waste and really does not do anything. Hence why everyone hated from the start. I have not been running it more than 200mA-300mA.

I'll have photos shortly!

-Dave

If you have any experence with planted tanks you know that red spectrum is a must, you should maybe make a light just for planted tanks? I would very interested in purchasing a led for some of my planted tanks. Let me know if you have had any experence growing plants with your nanobox's. BTW you do make very nice looking lights :D

I have been testing a new red that is 660-675nm. This is right on par with the graphs like below.

c034f2c.gif

One of my buddies who is a marine biologist has confirmed that this red is crucial to the formation of chlorophyll. Other red is a waste and really does not do anything. Hence why everyone hated from the start. I have not been running it more than 200mA-300mA.

-Dave

from that graph looks like the 420nm range is pretty important as well.

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com
from that graph looks like the 420nm range is pretty important as well.

That is true, that is why we are stocking them for our next group buy!

c034f2c.gif

-Dave

Interesting... :huh: are these LedEngin's deep red LEDs?

That is true, that is why we are stocking them for our next group buy!

Will these be under the "true violet" section you just listed? :happy:

This is without the Deep Red :) Just wait until you see with DR.

Configuration above...

10 - Royal Blue Rebel ES

2 - Rebel Blue

6 - Cool White Rebel ES

6 - Neutral White Rebel ES.

-Dave

This is without the Deep Red :) Just wait until you see with DR.

Configuration above...

10 - Royal Blue Rebel ES

2 - Rebel Blue

6 - Cool White Rebel ES

6 - Neutral White Rebel ES.

-Dave

Wow! I'm excited to see what the deep red looks like... :lol: Have you been able to test out any UV yet?

No UV yet. I am still undecided about those. I personally do not think it is needed but who knows! Finding a efficient UV LED is NOT cheap. It seems like the new LED trend is " full spectrum" but personally do not believe it is needed.

-Dave

No UV yet. I am still undecided about those. I personally do not think it is needed but who knows! Finding a efficient UV LED is NOT cheap. It seems like the new LED trend is " full spectrum" but personally do not believe it is needed.

-Dave

I am not sure about UV either but I am a firm believer in the 420nm ballpark

• 2 weeks later...
It seems like the new LED trend is " full spectrum" but personally do not believe it is needed.

It's mostly a marketing thing because there is not such thing as a full spectrum LEDs and 'full spectrum' comes from interiour lighting jargon - not plant growth :D

High CRI LEDs simply have more amber (yellow) than lower CRI LEDs, and yellow does not matter for coral growth.

If goofy colors like 625-660nm and 420nm are required for marine coral growth explain why there are so many thousands of heavy growth SPS tanks running 20k halide bulbs with virtually *ZERO* spectra in these bands. We're trying to grow primitive algae here, not tomato plants. There is no 'internodal hormone trigger' in corals because there are no stems or flowers. If anything, I've seen white papers showing that far red may actually shut off SPS growth because it tells the coral it's growing above water. I like experimentation, but be carefull with 660nm red.

Neutral white LEDs have plenty of red (620-630) on their own, and certainly a higher orange-red composite than any 10k halide that is promoted for maximum PAR.

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com
It's mostly a marketing thing because there is not such thing as a full spectrum LEDs and 'full spectrum' comes from interiour lighting jargon - not plant growth :D

High CRI LEDs simply have more amber (yellow) than lower CRI LEDs, and yellow does not matter for coral growth.

If goofy colors like 625-660nm and 420nm are required for marine coral growth explain why there are so many thousands of heavy growth SPS tanks running 20k halide bulbs with virtually *ZERO* spectra in these bands. We're trying to grow primitive algae here, not tomato plants. There is no 'internodal hormone trigger' in corals because there are no stems or flowers. If anything, I've seen white papers showing that far red may actually shut off SPS growth because it tells the coral it's growing above water. I like experimentation, but be carefull with 660nm red.

Neutral white LEDs have plenty of red (620-630) on their own, and certainly a higher orange-red composite than any 10k halide that is promoted for maximum PAR.

660nm im still unsure of but some of the most sought after MH bulbs peek at 415-420nm. So maybe "goofy" isnt the right word to use. May I suggest "beneficial"

Take a peek at this:

Spectrum%20graph.png

So maybe "goofy" isnt the right word to use. May I suggest "beneficial"

'May I suggest' you prove it before pushing LEDs that most likely have no beneficial factor other than making wiring more complex than it is. I'm seeing reef lights with more LED colors than an frikken ferris wheel lately, and it's entirely a waste of time. *Maybe* having both 450nm and 465nm in a two to one ratio, but getting those exact colors bins is hard.

There has been no evidence that UV-A or violet (~420) provides any beneficial PAR for zooxanthellae in either halide, fluorescent or solid state formats. If it did T5 and VHO fan-boys would be going nuts given 420nm is so bloody easy and cheap to produce from tubes. Certainly more practical than LED.

I don't know of any T5 reefer promoting 420nm actinic for anything other than color popping, so if you want to create a solution in search of a problem please call it what it is. I've been working with 440-450nm for awhile now and have to agree with the biologists that pretty much any blue spectrum in massive amounts accomplishes the same thing for photosyhthesis, but it simply more of a matter of which what wavelength your lamp produces the most efficiently. The LED people should be buying from your site is XT-Es.

If you look at Sanjay's site and all the graphs he has 400-420nm production in halides is either trivial, or non existent. Again, if there was a need for 420nm production SPS keepers would be running 420nm tubes over their tank, and I don't know of any that are. Not to mention Dave's tank is showing stellar SPS growth WITHOUT 420nm.

Next month somebody will be pushing IR LED's or something, so the distractions are expected. We've already shown that LED's grow corals with incredible efficiency, and other than aethestic issues maybe we should focus some attention on water quality.

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com
'May I suggest' you prove it before pushing LEDs that most likely have no beneficial factor other than making wiring more complex than it is. I'm seeing reef lights with more LED colors than an frikken ferris wheel lately, and it's entirely a waste of time. *Maybe* having both 450nm and 465nm in a two to one ratio, but getting those exact colors bins is hard.

There has been no evidence that UV-A or violet (~420) provides any beneficial PAR for zooxanthellae in either halide, fluorescent or solid state formats. If it did T5 and VHO fan-boys would be going nuts given 420nm is so bloody easy and cheap to produce from tubes. Certainly more practical than LED.

I don't know of any T5 reefer promoting 420nm actinic for anything other than color popping, so if you want to create a solution in search of a problem please call it what it is. I've been working with 440-450nm for awhile now and have to agree with the biologists that pretty much any blue spectrum in massive amounts accomplishes the same thing for photosyhthesis, but it simply more of a matter of which what wavelength your lamp produces the most efficiently. The LED people should be buying from your site is XT-Es.

If you look at Sanjay's site and all the graphs he has 400-420nm production in halides is either trivial, or non existent. Again, if there was a need for 420nm production SPS keepers would be running 420nm tubes over their tank, and I don't know of any that are. Not to mention Dave's tank is showing stellar SPS growth WITHOUT 420nm.

Next month somebody will be pushing IR LED's or something, so the distractions are expected. We've already shown that LED's grow corals with incredible efficiency, and other than aethestic issues maybe we should focus some attention on water quality.

Woah take it easy. you said there was virtually no 420nm in your last post on MH, I was showing there is.

I just want to add that only reason 420 nm haven’t been in the mix is that no one carried them for over 1 year and they are a PITA to get. Back when nanotuners had them they sold like mad.

Yes, people grow corals with a lot less.

Chasing a full spectrum LED build is not new..... look back at the beginning of this thread and the large one over on RC and you will see that this was the goal of both threads over 1 year ago. Now that Ecotech is using the words "Full Spectrum" everyone now thinks it is something new. IMO I am very disappointed to not see at least one 420 nm LED in their setup.

Look at any Chlorophyll Spectrum chart and you will see that 420 nm is a major player. But yes you can get away with using just blue as that is also highly used….but why not use both?

People really need to get their panties out of a bunch. People can use whatever they want over their tanks. The whole purpose of these discussions is to advance how we use LEDs to light our tanks.

I promise you that these threads are watched by numerous light manufactures…… you can even go back and watch ideas come up in these threads then 3-4 months later show up in retail tank lighting

Not sure how all of the drama regarding 420nm and its effectiveness in coral growth is even relevant here.This is an Aesthetics discussion.The points( rantings?) made by those about this topic are even irrelevant if this thread was called LED Performance: What do you really think of your growth? The use of 420 nm in our builds are strictly being used for Aesthetics.Nobodys running all TV,or TV/RB, or TV/CB..The accepted standard is RB and NW or CW for growth,and supplementing with a wide range of secondary LEDs to pop a few more colors.. Say 420nm really does offer no benefit in growth. Who cares?? I've got plenty of RB and NW to take care of growth.The use of these LEDs at a small ratio can only give a more unique look,and pop more colors. Say they do produce growth: Sweet. An added bonus. Either way its irrelevant. Every discussion or build I've seen with these is strictly geared towards supplementing for aesthetics.

Archived