ReefCleaners.org

Yoshii's 3 Gallon Pico Reef

yoshii

dont go too fast with alk. dose every other day, around 3 times a week.

I wasn't planning on raising the alk up that much today, but I accidentally put in a little too much :/

So far everything looks fine

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
dont go too fast with alk. dose every other day, around 3 times a week.

Ditto that. Make a small bump and observe for a few days. There's no reason to rush it...remember good things do not happen fast in a reef tank but bad things certainly can!

Sorry! This weekend has been crazy, I've barely sat down since Wed <_<

NewFrags.jpg

New stuffs, color isn't very accurate with my camera phone, but from left to right:

Hyacinth Birdsnest, Unk Acro, Ponape Birdsnest, BOP? & Neon Green Birdsnest, Tri-Color Acro, Tri-Color Pocillopora

I like birdsnests, if you didn't notice :)

Random other stuff:

-One of the mini minis finally split, so now I have 3 yay

-Alk is back down to like 8.5dKH cause I did a water change. I should probably just dose my NSW so my alk won't drop when I do a water change

-My tiny little goby is really fat and I think has grown :) I'm also still not sure what it's eating, probably mostly pods

Haha I'm a girl but I think I like the Ponape (green with pink tips) the best

I do have a small pink one that is almost tied with the Ponape, very pretty :)

yoshi what salt mix gives you the 8.5 I like to know this stuff

I use NSW

Eep I want all those Birdsnests, they are my favorite SPS.

Birdsnests are very cool :)

Too bad you're not local D:

AWESOME CORALS!! You better get that goby eating something! There aren't many pods in a 3 gallon

The birdnest on the far left and the small one in front of the BOP will be yours :)

Well it's eating pods too, but it also eats little random pieces of "something" from my food mix, which includes:

-Live Phyto Feast

-(Dead) Phyto Feast

-Oyster Feast

-Frozen PE Mysis

-Frozen Cyclop-eeze

-Frozen BBS

-Reed Mariculture's Otohime

and maybe some other thing I can't remember right now

altolamprologus
The birdnest on the far left and the small one in front of the BOP will be yours :)

Well it's eating pods too, but it also eats little random pieces of "something" from my food mix, which includes:

-Live Phyto Feast

-(Dead) Phyto Feast

-Oyster Feast

-Frozen PE Mysis

-Frozen Cyclop-eeze

-Frozen BBS

-Reed Mariculture's Otohime

and maybe some other thing I can't remember right now

It's probably eating the cyclop-eeze or bbs. Thanks again for the birsdnest :D

It's probably eating the cyclop-eeze or bbs. Thanks again for the birsdnest :D

I watched really closely, it's not eating cyclop-eeze (too big) and I'm pretty sure it's not eating the BBS (too small) maybe it's eating bits of mysis or something?

No prob :) Thanks for the shrimp, leather and macro :D

I would not be surprised if a goby that size could subsist entirely on naturally reproducing fauna inside your 3g tank. There are plenty of copepods and amphipods that will grow in a well kept tank.

I had a Trimma benjamini in my 4 gallon cube that I would feed with rotifers perhaps once every 2 weeks. That little guy was fat and sassy all the time.

I would not be surprised if a goby that size could subsist entirely on naturally reproducing fauna inside your 3g tank. There are plenty of copepods and amphipods that will grow in a well kept tank.

I had a Trimma benjamini in my 4 gallon cube that I would feed with rotifers perhaps once every 2 weeks. That little guy was fat and sassy all the time.

Really? I'd think he would run out eventually, but I guess it might take a while with his small size

Aww those guys are cute, I almost got one but ended up with this Eviota instead

That reminds me though, I want to add rotifers into my "food mix", between frozen rotifers or Roti-feast, do you guys think one is more nutritious than the other?

altolamprologus
Really? I'd think he would run out eventually, but I guess it might take a while with his small size

Aww those guys are cute, I almost got one but ended up with this Eviota instead

That reminds me though, I want to add rotifers into my "food mix", between frozen rotifers or Roti-feast, do you guys think one is more nutritious than the other?

They're probably about the same. But take into consideration frozen would last longer than than refrigerated.

Yoshii, could you describe your feeding in more detail? Quantities of each feed, how often, etc. Do you mix everything together into one big mash?

Nice tank, I've learned alot from following it.

I know that Roti-Feast is whole rotifers, and Reef Nutrition is a good company to support.

I would think that freezing rotifers would inevitably lead to lysing the cells, but hard to know without sticking them under a scope.

They're probably about the same. But take into consideration frozen would last longer than than refrigerated.

Oh yeah mm. I'll probably go with frozen then, unless it's not available

Yoshii, could you describe your feeding in more detail? Quantities of each feed, how often, etc. Do you mix everything together into one big mash?

Nice tank, I've learned alot from following it.

I'll try :)

I have my "food mix" which can vary, right now it's mostly very concentrated live phyto mixed with a cube or two each: Frozen Cyclop-eeze, PE Mysis, BBS. There's also Oyster Feast in the mix, but nearly as much as the phyto. I really like the oyster feast and plan on adding more of it to the mix soon.

The dry foods and sometimes BBS I will feed separately, usually just before or just after I feed the frozen/refrigerated.

I don't measure out the amount of different foods to be in the mix, it's just kinda random. Like there's a ton of live phtyo in my mix right now because I want to try to use it up before it becomes dead phyto :P

For this tank, I probably feed 3-4ml of this mix (this doesn't include dry foods) each feeding, which are about 3-4x a week. (Remember this doesn't include dry foods, which I feed a pinch or two almost everyday)

Thank you :happy: I hope that wasn't too confusing!

I know that Roti-Feast is whole rotifers, and Reef Nutrition is a good company to support.

I would think that freezing rotifers would inevitably lead to lysing the cells, but hard to know without sticking them under a scope.

Wow really? Wouldn't it take a long time for that to happen?

I guess I'll just let availability decide

No, it can happen with a single freezing. Ice crystals can create sharp points that can penetrate and cut cell membranes, so that when you thaw it out it's a bit like feeding a popped water balloon. If they are flash freezing them the right way it can be avoided, but I have no idea whether they do or not. Only way to know is throw it under a scope.

The reason rotifers are such a good feed is that they are like little balloons filled with what they just ate, generally phytoplankton. An empty or ruptured rotifer will be just about worthless.

altolamprologus
No, it can happen with a single freezing. Ice crystals can create sharp points that can penetrate and cut cell membranes, so that when you thaw it out it's a bit like feeding a popped water balloon. If they are flash freezing them the right way it can be avoided, but I have no idea whether they do or not. Only way to know is throw it under a scope.

The reason rotifers are such a good feed is that they are like little balloons filled with what they just ate, generally phytoplankton. An empty or ruptured rotifer will be just about worthless.

Good point. So roti-feast is probably the better option.

Hey yosh, if you can't finish the whole bottle, I'll help you with it :lol:

Archived