ReefCleaners.org

Yoshii's 3 Gallon Pico Reef

yoshii

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haha I guess it would have been :P

Water tests today (haven't done these in a long time)

Sg-1.026

pH-7.8 (could the water sitting in a sealed water bottle all day effect this?)

Alk-11 dKH

Ca-375-400

NO3-2 or 5(couldn't tell the difference on the Salifert test kit)

PO4-0

And I couldn't find the Magnesium test kit

Soo birdnest why aren't you growing? <_<

pH-7.8 (could the water sitting in a sealed water bottle all day effect this?)

Yes, absolutely. pH needs to be tested instantaneously. Oxidation of organic material in the water by bacteria will change the pH (lower it) in a very short amount of time.

Yes, absolutely. pH needs to be tested instantaneously. Oxidation of organic material in the water by bacteria will change the pH (lower it) in a very short amount of time.

Mmm ok, thanks :) I didn't think about that until after I tested my pH

The water sample sitting around wouldn't effect other params too, would it?

Looks like I need to go find my pH test kit...it's got to be around here somewhere

It could affect alkalinity as well (lower it).

Why not just test the water right away? :D

Tank's looking cool!

I lost all my test kits or they expired lol, I don't really test my water anymore :blush:

If my LFS has them in stock, I'll try to pick up some Salifert test kits tomorrow

Thank you! :)

I wouldn't worry too much about testing if everything looks good in the tank. Trying to chase numbers can do more harm than good, especially in such a small volume. Honestly I would only test salinity and temperature.

A gallon a week change of IO will bring your Mg/Ca/Alk into balanced ratios, and adding equal portions of 2 part (or just kalk) will keep the Ca/Alk where they need to be.

I wouldn't worry too much about testing if everything looks good in the tank. Trying to chase numbers can do more harm than good, especially in such a small volume. Honestly I would only test salinity and temperature.

A gallon a week change of IO will bring your Mg/Ca/Alk into balanced ratios, and adding equal portions of 2 part (or just kalk) will keep the Ca/Alk where they need to be.

Salinity and temp I do check regularly

Right now I probably average changing 2 gallons a week. I've been using filtered NSW for a while now, before that I used IO, I had different corals back then but I don't see much of a difference. I'll try to remember to test the NSW levels tomorrow and see how they differ

I lost all my test kits or they expired lol, I don't really test my water anymore :blush:

If my LFS has them in stock, I'll try to pick up some Salifert test kits tomorrow

Thank you! :)

Haha, you are like me and planted tanks. I'm actually a bit rusty with the tests. Haven't done them since I started to do planted tanks. That was over 5 years ago. Marine is a whole other animal.

llj

Salinity and temp I do check regularly

Right now I probably average changing 2 gallons a week. I've been using filtered NSW for a while now, before that I used IO, I had different corals back then but I don't see much of a difference. I'll try to remember to test the NSW levels tomorrow and see how they differ

Where is the NSW coming from?

Haha, you are like me and planted tanks. I'm actually a bit rusty with the tests. Haven't done them since I started to do planted tanks. That was over 5 years ago. Marine is a whole other animal.

llj

Lol wow! Haha well I can tell you're getting addicted to marine! :D

I actually used to hate doing water tests, but since I started working at my LFS I do them all the time so I don't mind anymore (Titration tests are kinda fun :P )

Where is the NSW coming from?

Half Moon Bay

Half Moon Bay

I would never trust Miami ocean water. I'm sure people do it all the time, but I live farther inland, and it's tooooo far for lazy me... :P Ma RO makes me ma water and I go the pool...

I would never trust Miami ocean water. I'm sure people do it all the time, but I live farther inland, and it's tooooo far for lazy me... :P Ma RO makes me ma water and I go the pool...

I use NSW just because it's easier than mixing my own :)

f10787d5447d__1313469900000.jpg

Grabbed these two test kits today, I'll test in the morning

idk, im guessing based on your NSW. maybe it'll be higher, who knows. but 8dKH seems normal to me.

low to me is stuff below 7dKH.

Generally NSW around here is lower in alkalinity, not necessarily out in the ocean but once you pull it ashore and let it sit, you get die off of plankton and what not that will lower it.

I tested pH last night (a few hours after lights out) seemed good at 8.0, but I just tested (about 1 hr after lights on) and the pH is 7.8 :huh: I always though pH was lower after lights out?

Alk is 7.0, I guess being in that water bottle really messed up the readings

So I either need to switch to mixed sw or dose..I'm thinking B-Ionic or C Balance, something like those

Generally NSW around here is lower in alkalinity, not necessarily out in the ocean but once you pull it ashore and let it sit, you get die off of plankton and what not that will lower it.

Also it sits in a giant container at the LFS, and then in jugs when I bring it home :/

Looks like I need to dose

I tested pH last night (a few hours after lights out) seemed good at 8.0, but I just tested (about 1 hr after lights on) and the pH is 7.8 :huh: I always though pH was lower after lights out?

That makes sense. pH will generally be lowest just before the lights come on (dawn) and highest when the lights go out (dusk).

Alk is 7.0, I guess being in that water bottle really messed up the readings

So I either need to switch to mixed sw or dose..I'm thinking B-Ionic or C Balance, something like those

Also it sits in a giant container at the LFS, and then in jugs when I bring it home :/

Looks like I need to dose

Arm & Hammer Baking soda will fix you up, just use a reef chemistry calculator to see how much to add to your makeup water to bring up the alkalinity.

That makes sense. pH will generally be lowest just before the lights come on (dawn) and highest when the lights go out (dusk).

Arm & Hammer Baking soda will fix you up, just use a reef chemistry calculator to see how much to add to your makeup water to bring up the alkalinity.

I knew it would be lowest just after the lights come on, but I guess I expected it to be even lower in the middle of the night :lol:

Ah I forgot about using baking soda, thanks :)

I should slowly dose later in the day/light cycle, right? Since baking soda can bring the pH down

Thanks for helping me out, I'm not used to dosing in my own tanks lol

I knew it would be lowest just after the lights come on, but I guess I expected it to be even lower in the middle of the night :lol:

Ah I forgot about using baking soda, thanks :)

I should slowly dose later in the day/light cycle, right? Since baking soda can bring the pH down

Thanks for helping me out, I'm not used to dosing in my own tanks lol

IME it does not matter what time of day you dose alkalinity, but middle of the day would be fine. The pH dip is minor. What is important is raising the dKH very slowly, like no more than 1dkH per day. Keep a close eye on your SPS.

IME it does not matter what time of day you dose alkalinity, but middle of the day would be fine. The pH dip is minor. What is important is raising the dKH very slowly, like no more than 1dkH per day. Keep a close eye on your SPS.

Will do :)

I'm off to raid the kitchen for a scale that can measure in grams!

8/16: Starting alk-7, dosed, alk-7.5

8/17: Dosed again, alk-7.9

8/18: Dosed again, alk-9.0

(dKH btw)

I'm hoping to get it up to 10 or 11 over the next few days :)

Archived