Pod Your Reef

Yoshii's 3 Gallon Pico Reef

yoshii

Hi Yoshii, please say it's college... Otherwise I'll just feel really old.

Nice new coral blob in blue water. :lol:

Just kidding. I'm sure you'll get a better picture up soon.

Sorry, but I'll be in college next year if that helps? lol

Silly me I put it in a spot with good flow but it's really hard to get a decent picture. I'm trying to find one on the internet, no luck so far

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry, but I'll be in college next year if that helps? lol

Silly me I put it in a spot with good flow but it's really hard to get a decent picture. I'm trying to find one on the internet, no luck so far

It helps a wee bit. :)

I gots me some corals. :D

I saw! :D Pretty!

I got myself a Kryptonite Candy Cane today, it is soooo bright! Even when not under LEDs

35d0cbbce135__1315792675000.jpg

This is how bright it is, even in indirect sunlight

altolamprologus
I saw! :D Pretty!

I got myself a Kryptonite Candy Cane today, it is soooo bright! Even when not under LEDs

35d0cbbce135__1315792675000.jpg

This is how bright it is, even in indirect sunlight

Don't look directly at it when it's under the LEDs or you'll go blind!!

check your inbox yosh :)

Don't look directly at it when it's under the LEDs or you'll go blind!!

check your inbox yosh :)

It is so crazy green under LED! My phone camera makes it look like a glowing blur

Oh those are nice Yoshii! So green. :)

:) I think it's greener than my GSP

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Criley :)

I really do need to get an updated FTS though!

It's weird that this tank is already past a year old, seems like I just set it up a couple months ago! :P

yoshi in your look back 12 mos how did algae cycles work for you

did you wind up removing algae as you saw it, or did it run without algae etc? did you ever have blooms that you used animals to clean up?

the tank looks really well aged, its technically more aged than a comparable tank using synthetic water. seawater supports live rock much much stronger than synthetic water depending on how its treated between collection and sale

it will hold denser colonies of benthic life on the live rock compared to a synthetic water tank, this is more bioloading and more number of animals per square inch than a typical synthetic tank...

for the times you had a little bit of reddish algae on the sides there wasn't a spot on the rock structure, it looked like you took care of it. Getting a small pico out to a year on seawater and partial water changes is pretty rare nice job!

try to find other threads of it being done on here at this gallonage, I think you got the only one correctly documented. seawater is both good and bad, you saw some of the alk levels but the microscopic life you get is better than anything we could buy in a bottle ever

One challenge of seawater use is that the water comes along with inherent nitrogen and phosphorous, bound up in the dna and cellular materials of any planktonic/bacterial/microscopic hitchhikers

it has an element of bioload built into it depending on collection and storage and freshness

certain methods of straining, filtration and temp fluctuation during storage and collection (the use or non use of uv light etc) determine its long term effects in a pico reef, I would guess.

getting the water to be consistent is another challenge, different seasons have different water makeup and you never know what you are getting, so established communities in the tank used to one feeding level may not have that year round.

seawater is packed full of variables. It can make your live rock so sweet you could charge 40 a pound for it, thats a big plus side, and coral support.

• 4 weeks later...
yoshi in your look back 12 mos how did algae cycles work for you

did you wind up removing algae as you saw it, or did it run without algae etc? did you ever have blooms that you used animals to clean up?

the tank looks really well aged, its technically more aged than a comparable tank using synthetic water. seawater supports live rock much much stronger than synthetic water depending on how its treated between collection and sale

it will hold denser colonies of benthic life on the live rock compared to a synthetic water tank, this is more bioloading and more number of animals per square inch than a typical synthetic tank...

for the times you had a little bit of reddish algae on the sides there wasn't a spot on the rock structure, it looked like you took care of it. Getting a small pico out to a year on seawater and partial water changes is pretty rare nice job!

try to find other threads of it being done on here at this gallonage, I think you got the only one correctly documented. seawater is both good and bad, you saw some of the alk levels but the microscopic life you get is better than anything we could buy in a bottle ever

One challenge of seawater use is that the water comes along with inherent nitrogen and phosphorous, bound up in the dna and cellular materials of any planktonic/bacterial/microscopic hitchhikers

it has an element of bioload built into it depending on collection and storage and freshness

certain methods of straining, filtration and temp fluctuation during storage and collection (the use or non use of uv light etc) determine its long term effects in a pico reef, I would guess.

getting the water to be consistent is another challenge, different seasons have different water makeup and you never know what you are getting, so established communities in the tank used to one feeding level may not have that year round.

seawater is packed full of variables. It can make your live rock so sweet you could charge 40 a pound for it, thats a big plus side, and coral support.

Oh, sorry I didn't see this post!

I don't think I had any algae issues, just coralline, I couldn't get any macro algae to grow

I had a time or two when I didn't do a water change for a month or two (I know, I'm terrible) and got a few small patches of cyano, but then I just siphoned it out the next water change.

Really? I wouldn't think it would still have plankton in it...

--

Anyways, a just a little update :)

Alto gave me some B-Ionic 2 part so I'm going to dose that now instead of baking soda (my mom found out I was using "food stuff" for my aquarium..not happy :lol:)

I got a new Kryptonite Candy Cane (picture below), IT IS SO BRIGHT!! It took me quite a few tries before I could adjust my camera so it wouldn't look like a glowing green blob

I also got a Nano Mag (TLF) Algae Cleaner from Mike (Micro-Reefs) and I love it!!

I looked at some magnet algae cleaners like the Nano Mag and the Nimble Nano (mixed reviews) but I didn't think the Nano Mag had a strong enough magnet to clean anything. Mike recommended it to me (as he sells them for his pico tanks) and wow it gets rid of stuff in a few swipes that I couldn't get off with hard manual scrubbing! Thank you Mike! :D I also use it on my 10g and would definitely recommend it to any other pico owners :)

Now for a few quick pics

DSC06847.jpg

GSP, Flaming Mushroom, Gold/Yellow Zoas

DSC06839.jpg

You can't see it from this view, but the duncans decided to make like 7 babies this week :)

DSC06820.jpg

The super crazy candy cane! (This is NOT under actinics!)

nice color control and corals!

Also nano mags rule :lol:

The Candy Cane is the brightest thing in the tank!

I didn't know they were so awesome! Why are people still using giant, bulky magnets on picos/nanos??

Yoshii,

So how is the nanomag working for you?

p.s

Do you remember this guy?

2po3720.jpg

I love it! It's working better than I expected! :D Thank you!

yes I do :P I just posted a pic of her in my 10g thread

:o

Do a big water change, maybe you can keep some alive.

That's the first thing I did, but the corals (especially some of birdsnests and montis) were already pretty much skeletons

Even the GSP and mushrooms look like they're going to die

I moved all the corals to my 10g, the dendro looks like it might make it

I had to throw out a couple corals and probably by the end of the day I'm going to have to toss all my SPS and zoas

I also put in some CHE and purigen to try to save the corals still attached to the rocks

this is what the tank looks like now (sorry bad cell phone pic)

e4228258510c__1318802872000.jpg

Archived