Coral Vue Hydros

Yoshii's 3 Gallon Pico Reef

yoshii

No, it can happen with a single freezing. Ice crystals can create sharp points that can penetrate and cut cell membranes, so that when you thaw it out it's a bit like feeding a popped water balloon. If they are flash freezing them the right way it can be avoided, but I have no idea whether they do or not. Only way to know is throw it under a scope.

The reason rotifers are such a good feed is that they are like little balloons filled with what they just ate, generally phytoplankton. An empty or ruptured rotifer will be just about worthless.

Ah, I see. Hmm maybe when the school year starts, I'll get some frozen & refrigerated rotifers and bring them afterschool and see if the lab's microscopes are good enough to see anything. :)

Good point. So roti-feast is probably the better option.

Hey yosh, if you can't finish the whole bottle, I'll help you with it :lol:

Lol sure, I can never use them up before they expire! You want some Oyster Feast too? I have like half the bottle left and I think it expires in a month or two

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
altolamprologus
Lol sure, I can never use them up before they expire! You want some Oyster Feast too? I have like half the bottle left and I think it expires in a month or two

Oh sure that would be cool. Mine is almost gone. Oh and I need to give you the 10 gal tank back. My mom tried to throw it away...

Oh sure that would be cool. Mine is almost gone. Oh and I need to give you the 10 gal tank back. My mom tried to throw it away...

I also have a TON of frozen BBS if you want some of that too, there's so many just in one nano cube

Lol I forgot about that! You still have it? :lol:

altolamprologus
I also have a TON of frozen BBS if you want some of that too, there's so many just in one nano cube

Lol I forgot about that! You still have it? :lol:

Yeah I do. OMG IDEA...set it up for the black angler at your house!!! :D

Yeah I do. OMG IDEA...set it up for the black angler at your house!!! :D

Just so you can come over and stare at it for hours? :lol:

I don't think my mom will let me set up another tank at her house. Plus, I'm going to be re-setting up my 55 soon

Anyways, back to my 3g, I tested alk today, it's back at 7.0dKH! I didn't dose the last 2 or 3 days but I didn't except it to drop that fast. -_-

Ah, I see. Hmm maybe when the school year starts, I'll get some frozen & refrigerated rotifers and bring them afterschool and see if the lab's microscopes are good enough to see anything. :)

That sounds like a good idea and something a good biology teacher should be overjoyed that you want to pursue on your own. :D

Even 10-20x will be sufficient to see them well enough. Take photos if you can!

whats the calcium reading at the same time yoshi and your salinity Im wondering

That's one more test kit I need to pick up

Sg-1.024

That sounds like a good idea and something a good biology teacher should be overjoyed that you want to pursue on your own. :D

Even 10-20x will be sufficient to see them well enough. Take photos if you can!

My old marine bio teacher loved it when me and Alto brought in stuff, I'm hoping my science teacher this year will feel the same!

Even to see if they're punctured or not? I was excepting to have to use a higher magnification

I think the best I'll get is a drawing :lol: They're not the ones that hook up to a computer

Goofy night, I mean 100x-400x will be plenty. A rotifer should pretty much fill up the screen at that magnification.

Ok cool :)

I will try to draw as accurately as I can!

Ok cool :)

I will try to draw as accurately as I can!

You have an iPhone, or a friend at school with one?

Put the camera lens about an inch behind where your eye would go on the scope eyepiece until you get it in focus. Basically the camera lens needs to be in the exact same spot that the back of your eyeball would be and you can take a photo of what's under the scope.

It's not great, but it works.

You have an iPhone, or a friend at school with one?

Put the camera lens about an inch behind where your eye would go on the scope eyepiece until you get it in focus. Basically the camera lens needs to be in the exact same spot that the back of your eyeball would be and you can take a photo of what's under the scope.

It's not great, but it works.

I don't, but I'll try to borrow someones :)

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_1982.jpg

Eviota introducing a new rainbow monti frag :)

I think I'll be able to compare rotifers either on tues or thurs, my teacher has some meetings during the week so if not this week, then I'll try next week :D

IMG_1982.jpg

Eviota introducing a new rainbow monti frag :)

I think I'll be able to compare rotifers either on tues or thurs, my teacher has some meetings during the week so if not this week, then I'll try next week :D

that is a nice frag, Yoshii. Sorry school started and I haven't been lurking here much. I do actually have to work. LOLOL

I want...

Thanks guys, I need to decide where it's going so I can take it off the plug and let it encrust :)

Lol that's ok, I just started school last week, the first weekend teachers piled us with tons of hw

Oh, and I got a cube of frozen rotifers today (Thanks Alto) so I'm hoping I'll remember tomorrow to bring it to school and see how they look under the microscope! :D

None of my friends with iphones wanted to stay late to look at "boring" marine micro organisms, so these pics with my phone are the best I got, hopefully you guys can help me make sense of them! :)

1a34cefc9f32__1315350220000.jpg

Roti-Feast (Refrigerated)

Idk if those blobs are rotifers or colonies of bacteria or what

b5d6e0c256fd__1315350888000.jpg

I thought this one was really cool cause you can clearly see the lines of the roti to the left of the blob in the middle

1c20ec199bde__1315350936000.jpg

Um the best description I can come up with is jagged blobs

619a38aa07cc__1315350861000.jpg

Frozen Rotifers

Now for the frozen, you can see the bunch of "shells" in the middle and scattered around, the circular blobs, idk?

I had other pics of the frozen rotifers, but my phone gives me an error message when I try to send them to my computer

altolamprologus
None of my friends with iphones wanted to stay late to look at "boring" marine micro organisms, so these pics with my phone are the best I got, hopefully you guys can help me make sense of them! :)

1a34cefc9f32__1315350220000.jpg

Idk if those blobs are rotifers or colonies of bacteria or what

b5d6e0c256fd__1315350888000.jpg

I thought this one was really cool cause you can clearly see the lines of the roti to the left of the blob in the middle

1c20ec199bde__1315350936000.jpg

Um the best description I can come up with is jagged blobs

619a38aa07cc__1315350861000.jpg

Frozen Rotifers

Now for the frozen, you can see the bunch of "shells" in the middle and scattered around, the circular blobs, idk?

I had other pics of the frozen rotifers, but my phone gives me an error message when I try to send them to my computer

Well it definitely looks like a lot of the frozen rotifers have burst and are useless. Not sure what the other stuff is though...

That last pic was a large cluster a "popped" rotifers, not all of it was like that though, but I'm pretty sure there were more burst rotis in the frozen than the refrigerated. Now I want to figure out what those circular blobs are!

Oh, new coral for this tank btw :) Possibly the worst picture ever, but it's soooo pretty! :wub: It has pink, white, and green "skin" with bright red polyps :D

aa6702d31672__1315358750000.jpg

I glued it on a rock, seems to being doing good so far

altolamprologus
Oh, new coral for this tank btw :) Possibly the worst picture ever, but it's soooo pretty! :wub: It has pink, white, and green "skin" with bright red polyps :D

aa6702d31672__1315358750000.jpg

I glued it on a rock, seems to being doing good so far

Agreed, worst pic ever. Get a better pic and maybe I'll say something constructive.

Agreed, worst pic ever. Get a better pic and maybe I'll say something constructive.

I would say something about you having the camera, but I doubt that camera would do much better :lol: I'll try to find out the street name so I can google a picture for you :P

I love that rainbow monti. Really nice coral.

Are you a junior or senior btw?

Me too :happy: I love almost all montis, but rainbows are one of my favs

SENIOR!! WOOO GO CLASS OF 2012!!! omgomgomg

Hi Yoshii, please say it's college... Otherwise I'll just feel really old.

Nice new coral blob in blue water. :lol:

Just kidding. I'm sure you'll get a better picture up soon.

Archived