Coral Vue Hydros

Yoshii's 3 Gallon Pico Reef

yoshii

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't mean to sound rude or anything, but I think the tank would look a lot better if you scraped the coralline off the front glass.

I noticed some brown cyano-diatom-like algae growing all around the walls of the tank. I have the same stuff growing on my sand. The light reflects off of it (as it does with any algae really) and it makes the water look brown, when it's actually clear water.

So I would basically scrape the coralline off the glass and keep the brown diatom stuff scrubbed off. I had the same problem in my 14g, but when I got a turbo it cleaned all of the alga off the tank and the water looked much more blue.

Other than that, the tank looks great. I love the green acro you have towards the back-middle. Wish I had that for my BioCube. :lol:

what did you do with the damsel?

What do you think you would do with a fish you didn't want? I always chop the heads off of my healthy, unwanted fish and flush them down the toilet. <_<

i dunno some people are just cruel (not that i think you are yoshii)

like maybe she gave it to a friend

euphy you are a poo

yoshii can't clean the tank because the tank is acrylic

and won't get a picotope to transfer things into

Well then I can understand the coralline.

Yoshii, they sell soft sponges on fish net handles at PetSmart. I used one to clean diatoms and other soft algaes off the glass when I used an acrylic. You should get a good CUC to clean algae as well.

You can boil some water and baste it on the coralline every few days. The first time, it should turn bright red and then die. It will stop growing in those spots so that the whole front doesn't get covered in coralline. :)

euphy you are a poo

Meeh. :P

Don't mean to sound rude or anything, but I think the tank would look a lot better if you scraped the coralline off the front glass.

I noticed some brown cyano-diatom-like algae growing all around the walls of the tank. I have the same stuff growing on my sand. The light reflects off of it (as it does with any algae really) and it makes the water look brown, when it's actually clear water.

So I would basically scrape the coralline off the glass and keep the brown diatom stuff scrubbed off. I had the same problem in my 14g, but when I got a turbo it cleaned all of the alga off the tank and the water looked much more blue.

Other than that, the tank looks great. I love the green acro you have towards the back-middle. Wish I had that for my BioCube. :lol:

Lol no, I agree with you! I've just been lazy scraping it lately :P

Yeah that brown algae poped up recently, but it's not easy to scrap off, annoying but I'm hoping it will go away soon

I have a small limpet in this tank, I've been meaning to get a herd of dwarf ceriths, but LFSs around here haven't gotten them in recently

What do you think you would do with a fish you didn't want? I always chop the heads off of my healthy, unwanted fish and flush them down the toilet. <_<

Obviously!

Well then I can understand the coralline.

Yoshii, they sell soft sponges on fish net handles at PetSmart. I used one to clean diatoms and other soft algaes off the glass when I used an acrylic. You should get a good CUC to clean algae as well.

You can boil some water and baste it on the coralline every few days. The first time, it should turn bright red and then die. It will stop growing in those spots so that the whole front doesn't get covered in coralline. :)

Meeh. :P

I have some acrylic scrubber pad stuff, it works ok, it's just hard to get to scrub the back (where you can notice it the most) I'll give the tank a good cleaning this week :)

But then the dead coralline will still be there?

Quick top down shot, not much new stuff was open

DSC06714.jpg

You can see the difference between the two orange monti digis, my old frag is so much lighter! Too much light?

This is the colony the new "mini-colony" came from

IMG_5540.jpg

oh I accidentally broke two pieces off on two branches on my piece, oops

But then the dead coralline will still be there?

Like Squared said, it will stop growing. The skeleton may break down over time.

:wub:

But all I see is an awkward family photo style :amgry: :P

I know, I know, today I'll get individual shots when everything is open

Like Squared said, it will stop growing. The skeleton may break down over time.

I might try that, I need to buy some pipettes!

yoshi that kind of growth on the walls of the tank is common in year+ aged picos of this size. its amazing youve kept it off the rocks and corals, isolated it strictly to the glass usually it goes where it wants. the aquascape looks really clean and free of any bad growth Ive been watching for that as the tank matures, nice job. since all that stuff is on the glass anytime you get a spare 10 mins it could be scraped easily. Id scrape it first with the pumps off, 100% of it, then siphon out all the pieces with a 2x full water change. Thats a refreshing start to this coming year.

yoshi that kind of growth on the walls of the tank is common in year+ aged picos of this size. its amazing youve kept it off the rocks and corals, isolated it strictly to the glass usually it goes where it wants. the aquascape looks really clean and free of any bad growth Ive been watching for that as the tank matures, nice job. since all that stuff is on the glass anytime you get a spare 10 mins it could be scraped easily. Id scrape it first with the pumps off, 100% of it, then siphon out all the pieces with a 2x full water change. Thats a refreshing start to this coming year.

I suspected that, I think I remembered you saying something about algae growth once picos get older

So scraping it off + large water changes will get rid of it?

yoshii how did the GHA go away?

I'm guessing you meant to post this in my 10g thread? Manual removal, mostly, and I added some more flow

Your getting stuff all the time!

Oh usually I don't get new stuff this often. A friend was going to a LFS I hadn't been to in a while so I came along :)

I'm guessing you meant to post this in my 10g thread? Manual removal, mostly, and I added some more flow

yes...ok.

Cleaned the tank, did a 1g water change, I'll do a much larger one tomorrow (I need to get more water)

New pieces from today:

DSC06715.jpg

Lavender Blasto, obviously not open yet, but it shows the nice solid color

DSC06717.jpg

Birdnest, I like the hint of green at the base :)

DSC06718.jpg

Stuff from yesterday:

DSC06721.jpg

Digi

DSC06722.jpg

oops-pieces I broke off (that's why it looks "empty" in the middle)

DSC06726.jpg

DSC06732.jpg

Orange Cap & GSP, this cap seems to be extra bright!

DSC06730.jpg

I took out this acans and put them in my 10g, I didn't like the look of them under LEDs

DSC06750.jpg

Still slightly cloudy FTS

Archived