Cultivated Reef

Markushka's 20 Long Rimless Tank

Markushka

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm just ambivalent at this point really. The tank is getting a lights out treatment to deal with bryopsis and such. I took out most of the coral for the moment, there are a few infected frags that are still in there for treatment.

I'm not gonna be buying anything anymore. I'm sort of sick of all this. tho Shyla did suggest I get a pair of clowns. And i'll keep my eyes open for cuttles. guess all I can say is stay tuned, dunno what i'm gonna do in the end.

DSCN0853.JPG

-_-

it's not hiding its bryopsis:

DSCN0854.JPG

a quick peek below the covers to show you all its still there.

moved all the corals to the sump. I'll actually be putting this contest 20 long where the temp sump is and it'll be the last in series before the actual sump. I'll also be drilling the tank. so this is going to be a fun weekend.

Have you considered raising your Mg in conjunction with the lights out to get rid of the bryopsis? Worked well for me.

Good luck with the drilling. I'm going to try a couple of things with the weeds for you over the weekend....

I dont want to raise the mag for two reasons:

1. I dont have a mag test kit.

2. I dont want to affect my other tanks.

so if i'm misled as to that second issue. then i'll go get a test kit and raise my mag. But I think it'll have an adverse effect on my other macros.

Not sure about the affect on other macros... I treated by moving the offending frags and LR into QT, and treating there.

Definately need a test kit if you are going to try it.

gulfsurfer101

Sucks to hear about your probems man. I think a natural way to get rid of that stuff in a really bad situation is a lettuce nudibranch. I kinda rented one from a lfs here when I had neglected my tank and let this stuff grout out from a frag I brought in. It got out of hand and I didn't want to try the lights out and mag thing. It was over in less than a week for me.

Have you tried it with other macros in the tank? I've heard that mollies like bryopis so i'm going to give those a whirl. I really want the mag to be my last resort. I can set up a qt for my macros, but not yet.

yeah it came in on a frag and I didn't recognize it at first. It's only in a few places, but I want to take it out before it takes over.

hmmmm. well, then I'll look into getting a mag test.

how high should I get it up? 1400ppm right? how fast, and how long?

Deleted User 6

1500+ and I raised it 100ppm a day. You'll probably need to just suck it up and get a half gallon of Kent tech m and a salifert mg test. But first, are you 100% sure it's bryo?

I pushed it close to 1700 for about a week and a half...

Remove as much as you can before treatment.... It turns translucent white as it dies off.

Seachem test kit fwiw

Good luck.

I'm pretty sure, but i'll take some pics monday or so when my parents get back with the d90. I think I have some mag supplements, but its only kent tech m that works right?

I am currently battling bryopsis. I use seachem mg and it seems to be working. I have to dose a crap ton of this stuff though, two spoonfuls or more a day to keep it down.

Good luck with your lights out.

Glad to see you're moving along. :)

Thanks.

10/16/2010

DSC_0008.JPG

DSC_0009.JPG

anyone have an ID for this sps?

DSC_0010.JPG

ORA Bird of Paradise I believe.

DSC_0016.JPG

my friends Fungia. Its looking much better than before. It'll be going back monday or tuesday.

DSC_0017.JPG

Left side.

DSC_0019.JPG

Another UnID SPS.

Cool thanks. I did think the first was a monti or a digita. Its colouring up more but its not evident in the pictures yet. You think the second is an elkhorn? I have other pieces of elkhorn but the aren't encrusting and are more branching. also this one seems to be colouring up green.

Archived