inTank Media Baskets

ParanoidObseshun's 5.5 Gal AIO Reef

ParanoidObseshun

ParanoidObseshun

Well I thought that after redoing the tank I wouldnt really have to worry about anything stupid anymore. Well I was wrong. I have been dealing with bryopsis for a while, came in on a frag I got and before I knew it it had gone to my rock. It was over some of the rock on the top of the tank, and the rock mass on the right. I was getting tired of seeing it in the tank, and after trying to pull the bryopsis off and scrubbing it didnt work I decided to take other steps.

I removed the coral from the affected rock and took the rock out of the tank. I soaked it in freshwater with a little bleach for more than a day and rinsed it, and then let it sit out an dry, and soak again in freshwater. I am hoping that this gets rid of the damn bryopsis problem finally. I am still waiting on the rock before I put it back into my tank, rinsed it some more and then going to add it to the sump of my bigger tank for a few days.

I added some more LPS to the this tank from my other tank, and have picked up a new zoa frag.

Will get updated pictures and all after I get things settled back in.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

youre going to need to out-compete it somehow. true bryopsis is extremely resilient. I will say that an emerald crab will keep it out of your display.

also a magnesium treatment might work but make sure to remove all snails from the tank before you do that.

paratiddies

I had really good luck with an emerald eating bryopsis recently, he ate everything that he could reach within a few days. The best part was that I didn't have to worry about the stuff I scraped off reattaching if I missed it with the siphon (and it will amazingly well) because as long as he could reach it, it was getting eaten. I heard to get one with the roundest claws possible, don't know if it really matters but it worked for me

ParanoidObseshun

Has anyone else had luck with keeping an emerald crab in a pico? I thought I read that they might go after corals? Just want to check before I think about getting one to help with the bryopsis.

Has anyone else had luck with keeping an emerald crab in a pico? I thought I read that they might go after corals? Just want to check before I think about getting one to help with the bryopsis.

Yes, my emerald has been in my pico for a bit over half a year now, and has kept its display area completely free of all nuisance algae. It is mainly the reason why my pico looks so clean from algae.

Paratiddies is right, they should eat everything that they can reach. The only place i see any algae growing is on my HOB waterfall, where my emerald doesnt really go (he does make a round trip every few months and i can tell he has because that area would look completely clean)

But mostly I keep him fed with dried seaweed sheets.

As straydog has mentioned apparently the sallylightfoot crabs are great at algae control too!

My advice is to pick the smallest emerald you can and the healthiest ( maybe even the one with the most rounded claws lol) and watch it for a few days. upon initial intro to your tank there will be inevitable nipping of some random coral that may get in his way, but i think he will settle down to only algae provided he finds it. If he doesn't stop his shinanigans with your coral, you should probably remove him. but give him a chance and dont pull the plug on his service too soon. he might be the best cleaner you ever had. same goes for sally lightfoot.

ParanoidObseshun

Hmm that sounds good enough for me guys! thanks.

I will definitely get one that fits the size of the tank, dont want a giant one knocking all my corals over.

If he does nip at corals I can always put him in the sump/fuge of my bigger tank, give him a nice home to crawl over rock and algae.

Kazooie- Don't worry with the "was" word. My tank will be back to looking cool in no time haha.

ParanoidObseshun

Well I went out today to some different LFS's to see if there were any emeralds or sally light foots. The only emeralds I found were awfully big and would easily make a mess of my tank. There was a sally light foot that they got in which was pretty small but didnt pop on it. I might wait a little till I get one.

But I did pick up a new coral from the tank, a frag of wall hammer. Not entirely sure on the color yet, hard to tell in the store tank, little more blueish lighting, and when I got home it was too late and all the lights are off.

Will hopefully have updated pictures of the tank tomorrow, since I did put the rock back in yesterday.

ParanoidObseshun

Well Things are looking pretty good in my tank. After moving the rock back into the tank some of the lps retracted for a day or two. Now they have perked back up. I just scraped the glass so I hope to take some updated pictures later on tonight.

Here is a picture of my Magicians. I had 4 polyps to start with, and after atleast 6 months I still have the same amount. No idea why they havent thrown out any new growth yet.

IMG_0283.jpg

ParanoidObseshun

Here is a FTS, and some down angle shots to see the corals better. Also some pics of a few corals that I really like.

IMG_0289.jpg

IMG_0297.jpg

IMG_0298.jpg

IMG_0299.jpg

Goni doing great

IMG_0279-1.jpg

2 frogspawns I grew out from the size of a pencil lead. Now the size of a dime, and pencil eraser.

IMG_0284.jpg

IMG_0282.jpg

Plate with a hitchhiker clam behind it (zoas growing on the back) pulling himself back to his corner.

IMG_0281.jpg

New Wall Hammer Frag

IMG_0276.jpg

New Zoa Frag

IMG_0286-1.jpg

My Favorite Blastos!

IMG_0301.jpg

Would like to get some feedback on what you guys think of the layout, etc? Also any ideas on what other corals I could add? Keeping it in the LPS, and zoas category. I have been looking at getting another really cool blasto or two.

Builder Anthony

You know i was recomended cyclops to get these new fish i have eating.I been into fishtanks forever and never seen this stuff before.They are like super small freshwater copeods.Man these things i think would be great for coral.I just put the cube in there a few seconds and a nice little cloud of real small stuff floated around.This is the first ime ive seen my candy cane corals open up and send tenticles out.Id try some out the stuff seems great.

agreed, in case you dont have access to cyclop-eeze like me, san fran bay cyclops or some other rand is a nice substitute, all my animals in my pico love it. I'd recommend feeding your tank once per week with the stuff, you might get more intense colors out of some stuff.

for coral you might want to try a favia coral, though IMO you should keep that 1 type of blasto and just grow the colony really large. many different types would just clutter your tank.

ParanoidObseshun

Thanks for the advice about the food guys. I think I am going to try that out at some point here.

Newman- Yeah I was thinking of some kind of favia. I really want to get a sick coloration, but might have to wait a while as I dont go to the lfs often, and I wouldnt know what they get in lol. If I was to add more blastos it would be of colorations you dont see that often, and maybe only 2 kinds and small frags.

I currently have quite a bit of open blank space on the left infront of the overflow. Was thinking to currently maybe put either kryptonite candy cane or a small pink bubble that I have in my other tank.

Now that you have been using the spray bar for a while does it give enough flow throughout the the tank and is there any extra up keep to it as far as keeping it from clogging. It looks to be the ideal way to keep a constant flow behind the rocks.

ParanoidObseshun

The spray bar is working really good and it does a nice job of creating good circulation. The water flow is a lot better than before as well.

I might need to take the spray bar out to clean it at some point, but I should be able to just spin it a little bit and seperate it from the tubing and just slide it out.

ParanoidObseshun

I have been looking for a fish for this tank, and am not sure what to get. I had my small PJ cardinal in here before but I moved him to the bigger tank before I started working so much on it.

I need something to do some damage on my pod population. Any suggestions from anyone?

Drift Monkey
I need something to do some damage on my pod population. Any suggestions from anyone?

Why? Just a question...because most people want more pods. The population should stabilize with your tank over time anyway...

ParanoidObseshun
Why? Just a question...because most people want more pods. The population should stabilize with your tank over time anyway...

Because when I look into my tank there are tons of pods all over the glass, walking around on the sand, and crawling on my frag plugs and zoas. When I had my PJ cardinal in there he kept all the pods in check, just looking for something else to do the same.

Mr. Microscope
Here is a picture of my Magicians. I had 4 polyps to start with, and after atleast 6 months I still have the same amount. No idea why they havent thrown out any new growth yet.

IMG_0283.jpg

Those might not be Magicians. The blue is usually speckled a lot more. Those look cooler than Magicians.

ParanoidObseshun

Hmmm you pose a good thought there Mr. Micro. Here is a picture of when I originally got them.

IMG_0286.jpg

There were tons of small speckles on them in the beginning, but slowly over the 7 month period those speckles have come back with a vengence.

Newman- The speckes did look somewhat blue in the beginning, but now they look like mint green ice cream.

Mr. Microscope

I thought about asking you that. Good point.

Newman, I've seen my magicians range from blue to green and back again. I think it depends on their mood. LOL.

Archived