inTank Media Baskets

ParanoidObseshun's 5.5 Gal AIO Reef

ParanoidObseshun

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ParanoidObseshun

Thanks.

Here is a better picture. Need to get pictures of the other 2 that I got.

IMG_0692-1.jpg

ParanoidObseshun

Here is my blasto section so far. Things are just in temporary spots for now until i find more permanent spots.

Also hoping to get some more varieties soon.

IMG_0720.jpg

ParanoidObseshun

Updated Top Down shots of my tank. Shows the corals that are on the sandbed and some of the ones on the rocks.

Left Side

IMG_0739.jpg

Middle

IMG_0743.jpg

Right Side

IMG_0741.jpg

Plate coral finally healed up after having its mouth and the area around it ripped by the emerald who was going for the food it was trying to eat.

• 2 weeks later...
ParanoidObseshun

Went to a meeting/get together at one of the only LFS near me. Was a 1 1/2 hour drive to get there lol. I picked up a couple frags for the tank.

I got 3 kinds of blastos. I picked up a 4 head frag of blasto merlettis, a 30+ polyp colony of blasto merlettis, and then a 2 head frag of blasto wellsi.

I have pictures of the 2 wellsi, and the colony of merlettis.

IMG_0769.jpg

IMG_0775.jpg

And then my favorite blasto so far, doing great!

IMG_0768-1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
ParanoidObseshun

Just have an update for my pico.

I removed the yellow goniopora to my bigger tank, was just getting big and I wanted to make some space.

I moved around my blastos a little bit and they seem to be doing real good. I have 10 different color combos now. 4 merlettis, 6 wellsi.

I also picked up another zoa frag, but lost a few frags due to a few closing up out of nowhere while ones next to them are doing great.

The plate coral has reconnected its tissue and regrew its mouth.

The emerald crab is doing her job and keeping the pico clean of nuissance algae, and the damsel has removed all the flatworms from the display.

Here are some updated pictures of blastos and the new zoa frag.

IMG_0789.jpg

IMG_0825.jpg

IMG_0817.jpg

IMG_0824.jpg

IMG_0822.jpg

IMG_0823.jpg

i would really like one of your blasto merletti lol. but you have so many zoas, you have no need for the common ones i have, so trade is impossible as i have nothing else...

Everything looks great :)

ParanoidObseshun

Haha Thanks Newman! Yeah I have around 50+ different zoanthids I think.

I have been thinking about taking down this tank lately, getting tired of it being so finicky at times. Really want some corals to have more room. I was thinking of taking the stuff in this tank and the better stuff from my shallow 23g and combining them into a custom AIO 15g or 20g. Not sure yet on the details but have really been thinking about discontinuing the 5.5 for now.

Any ideas from anyone??

ParanoidObseshun

Went to petco today and they were loaded up with tanks. They said the $1 a gallon sale would start sometime next week. I think I'm going to wind up getting a 20L.

Mr. Microscope

Cool! Good luck with the upgrade!

As a side note, perhaps you could do the upgrade to the 20L, but also keep the 5.5 going and plumb them both into the same system by using a sump. Spend an extra $10 or $15 during the sale for another tank to turn into the sump. You could also add a fuge in it. Then they'd share the same water and it would probably stabilize the fluctuations in your 5.5. Maybe turn the 5.5 into a frag tank, or make it a blasto biotope.

ParanoidObseshun

Thanks Micro! I hope the upgrade process goes well.

Ive thought about plumbing 2 tanks together but because of space constraints I decided to just go with the 20L. I will be keeping the 5.5 though and maybe in the future when I have the space I could plumb them together.

Currently thinking up what my center overflow/AIO/fuge/equipment compartment will look like as far as layout goes.

• 3 weeks later...
ParanoidObseshun

Well this 5.5 gal is now sitting with sand and water in it. Tank will be cleaned and drained and put into storage until the future I suppose.

Not a bad run since Dec 09.

Archived