inTank Media Baskets

RRCG Extreme Clowns,Onyx,Nakeds, ora picasso/bnw pair

rrcg50

From her pm and my friend who its the patent lawyer she can actually and has asked chris here for me to totally stop using the name. The patent out trademark allows her to do that. So even if you have bought them as snocassso's you are not allowed without her written permission to call them what they were purchased as. If she allows it, it will break the trade mark.

No matter how nice my clowns are I would not do it. If that's the case I should ask chris to delete this thread and every post I put up about breeding. Why would I share if I'm not going to share

No, that is not correct. What would be the point of not allowing a product to be called by the TM name once sold? That would be like Nike selling shoes but when you got home you could no longer call them Nike. Anyone buying my Snowcasso can rightfully call them Snowcasso since they were bred and sold by Doni's Reef.

I simply and politely am asking you to rename your offspring something other than Snowcasso (or Snocasso) per the trademark laws. That is all I am asking.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Doni Marie

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Chicagoclowns

That makes no sense at all. I could see if u made the product but u didnt. It was nature that created it and u decided to give it a name. Like somone discovering an animal and calling it something then when it has offspring making people call it something different. These fish have appeared before u bred them and will continue after. You gave this different type of clown a name then tell people the identical offspring which are a genetic replica of the parent cant be snowcassos? When Your snowcassos that you sell make extreme picasso babies then they are snowcassos as well.

Good way to taint your product

Good way to insure no return business if people can't tell that they were your clowns you bred they will not know to buy them off you great idea so if I go to mcdonalds and buy a big Mack and decide I. Don't want it can I sell it to my friend as a big Mac or will I get sued

That makes no sense at all. I could see if u made the product but u didnt. It was nature that created it and u decided to give it a name. Like somone discovering an animal and calling it something then when it has offspring making they dont call it something different. These fish have appeared before u bred them and will continue after. You gave this different type of clown a name then tell people the identical offspring which are a genetic replica of the parent cant be snowcassos?

Good way to tait your product

I'm not in this game for the money I enjoy breeding the fish. if I would've known this 3 years ago when I bought the fish I probly would not have. but its history now and as long as I don't have to change the name of my thread, I really don't care. from here on in they will be known as dalmations. and don't worry guys and girls I'm not gonna trade mark, so you can use that name.

It does make sense...

She created the name which designates fish that she produces and sells. She took the time and made the investment to trademark the name. Obviously rrgc has every right to call the parent pair he purchased from her what they are and where sold to him as - Snocasso's - but once he breeds them and sells the offspring they are no longer what the name implies which are fish sold directly from Doni's Reef.

I completely respect what she is doing as allowing someone else to use the name will void her trademark and she is simply protecting what is hers.

I guess technically he could say or refer to them as (insert cool name here), bred from Doni's Snocasso's

Correct me if I'm wrong.

No one says he can't state the lineage of the brood stock.

photaco is a better name. what are you breeding again rrcg? I need cuties for my tank

oh and i was curious, arent snowcassos ora stock?

Chicagoclowns

Hes breeding semi platinums, Or polar clowns or artic clowns or blizzards. Some kind of extreme picasso or weak platinum

Alpha Aquaculture

I hope this is not the beginning of a new trend in this hobby. Lawsuits over names? Notifications of violations? Fear is never better than love. I was hoping the opposite would happen. People would grow more and more excited about the name they chose becoming more popular. There is honor in someone else using the name you have chosen. If Tyree had chosen to trademark, would he have made the positive impact he has in this hobby?

Lets try to keep the hobby fun for future generations. Great thread Rich!

Oh well on the name.. If Doni wants her clowns to be the only ones to have the Snocosso name so be it. It just means that future generations of her clowns will never get the name that designates her as the lines origin breeder, and as other peoples clowns turn out better than her's, in patterns and health her name can be forgotten in the history of clownfish breeding for this line of clowns because she chose to trademark the snocasso name that designates her as the line founder.

This makes me wonder what we will see next in this hobby on designer clownfish. Mandatory Registration papers with purebred breeding rights if you want to breed and sell a certain type of clownfish? You know things get pathetic when.

While Dalmation clowns in a good name. I would have gone with rrcg50's Ultra Grade Snows.

Chicagoclowns

Ill never refer to her site again. I like the ultra grade picasso. Im claming it. Everytime its used that person owes me 20 bucks.

FishEyeAquaculture
It does make sense...

She created the name which designates fish that she produces and sells. She took the time and made the investment to trademark the name. Obviously rrgc has every right to call the parent pair he purchased from her what they are and where sold to him as - Snocasso's - but once he breeds them and sells the offspring they are no longer what the name implies which are fish sold directly from Doni's Reef.

I completely respect what she is doing as allowing someone else to use the name will void her trademark and she is simply protecting what is hers.

I guess technically he could say or refer to them as (insert cool name here), bred from Doni's Snocasso's

+1

This trademarked fish has made quite the lucrative business for this company: http://www.trademarks411.com/marks/77154312-glofish

FishEyeAquaculture
This makes me wonder what we will see next in this hobby on designer clownfish. Mandatory Registration papers with purebred breeding rights if you want to breed and sell a certain type of clownfish? You know things get pathetic when.

While the above statement is extreme, non-mandatory registraion would be cool. Pedigree clownfish!!! We are already almost there....c-quest lineage (Rod's Onyx), ORA lineage, TMC lineage (S'mores), etc.

It has been around with koi for awhile.

i just going to call mine one bad ass pair of clowns. the best thing we can do is stop using the trademark name. the less you use it the more people wont respect it.

And yes the original parents of her clowns were ora.

i understand why she is doing it. Its her livelyhood.

on the other hand i deal drugs for a living. what i produce clownfish wise i do for personal enjoyment. i still get a rush the night of hatch out and i enjoy cleaning the tanks and keeping the clowns healthy. the day either one of those stop i will be done.

Whats the better thing that could have been done was to just send me a pm not cry to chris about my thread. i would of still done my research but just would of probably just obliged. now she has mud in her face and turned off a great group of people to her clowns.

i have 14 pairs of clowns because i love them but i will never own another from her lineage again.

photaco is a better name. what are you breeding again rrcg? I need cuties for my tank

bad ass clowns

you let me know when you are ready and i will have the hook up for you.

nano reef all the way

and thanks for the support

thats why i hardly ever go on any other site

i have found my home here and love it

I don't think I can get any more descriptive than that

Picasso or bad ass probably lean more toward picasso

Wow.. I've been following this thread for awhile now and its sad to see how much it got out of hand. I was looking forward to pick up some of Doni's clowns and was waiting for stock, but after this whole fiasco, I think my money is better off somewhere else preferrably with rrcg. Always thought this was a friendly hobby, but looks like people are starting to make a business of it..

Good luck with everything rrcg, you have my support! Waiting for some clowns to start off my tank :D

WOW this is the last place I'd expect something like that to happen. It still amazes me that "life" can be patented although this is naturally occurring.

This all but reminds me of the movie "Food Inc.", and how Monsanto has become a monopoly due to a patent on soy bean seeds.

Dalmation clowns FTW!

Archived