Cultivated Reef

RRCG Extreme Clowns,Onyx,Nakeds, ora picasso/bnw pair

rrcg50

Alpha Aquaculture
I use rodi.

Same stuff for my reef. It removes ammonia. Rotifers are dirty little buggers

When do you add it in the process? and I read about the pH swing potential issue. How are you planning to correct that for future hatches? Thanks for being teacher :)

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Never had one so I guess why start now. Came home to a rank full of rotifers and all dead babies. I'm going to use a bigger tank next time.

Oh well

Just goes to show you that there will always be ups and downs.

Really hated to hear that. :( But on the bright side, her next hatch should be at least that large. :D

I also didn't realize that Amquel lowers pH.

Okay here goes

The way I keep the temps stable across several tanks is simple.

I get a large rubber maid plastic tote. I then place my smaller tanks inside the tote now I am able to use one heater to control several tanks

If you want to get fancy. And alpha wants to share he can post pics of the design that we came up with. Actually it's his design and my concept. I can't really take credit for the design.

It's works and it is real simple. No lights in any of the fry tanks from heaters just your airstones

That's a great idea - I suppose you have something in the tote water circulating it - and that could just be regular tap water right? How large of a hatch tank are you using in the tote? I suppose if you could get 3 tanks in a tote it would be completely worth it. Heck even if you got two tanks in a tote that's half the power.

That's a great idea - I suppose you have something in the tote water circulating it - and that could just be regular tap water right? How large of a hatch tank are you using in the tote? I suppose if you could get 3 tanks in a tote it would be completely worth it. Heck even if you got two tanks in a tote that's half the power.

is it me or i dont understand how this works????

Its a tank within a tank. I would like to see some pics of yours rrcg. I didnt like alpha design as you cant pull the fry tanks out for cleaning but I guess some compromises need to be made.

I just use a stock tank from tractor supply. I'm using 5 gallon tanks for hatch out and a mini jet 404 for circulation. 1 heater for 4 tanks and I use a ranco to control the temps. Can even use ro waste water for it. Simple concept I figured out walking down the isle at a target when I was running low on heaters during the winter

Its a tank within a tank. I would like to see some pics of yours rrcg. I didnt like alpha design as you cant pull the fry tanks out for cleaning but I guess some compromises need to be made.

The design we did for those were post hatch tanks/ grow out til they get to a certain size then off to main grow out

I just use a stock tank from tractor supply. I'm using 5 gallon tanks for hatch out and a mini jet 404 for circulation. 1 heater for 4 tanks and I use a ranco to control the temps. Can even use ro waste water for it. Simple concept I figured out walking down the isle at a target when I was running low on heaters during the winter

The design we did for those were post hatch tanks/ grow out til they get to a certain size then off to main grow out

ah i understand now... seems cool but i think seperate heaters will do for me, cool idea though

ah i understand now... seems cool but i think seperate heaters will do for me, cool idea though

Like I always say to each there own. When your running six or seven fry tanks it really adds up. And in larger hatches you have less clutter in th tanks. Make cleaning up easier also. Less to try to navigate around

When do you add it in the process? and I read about the pH swing potential issue. How are you planning to correct that for future hatches? Thanks for being teacher :)

I will do more water changes. I am also going to make another water change station so I have enough water on hand for a bunch of water changes instead of having to make new water in the middle of a hatch out and worry about salinity swings, that may have had something to do with it also. I probably also going back to using prime instead of amquel. Never had a problem with that

Like I always say to each there own. When your running six or seven fry tanks it really adds up. And in larger hatches you have less clutter in th tanks. Make cleaning up easier also. Less to try to navigate around

I was trying to figure out a way to do this. I like using ten gallon tanks. I have a couple extra 150 gallon tubs but I didnt want to be bent over all the time or cut them down. Then I thought about making an acrylic tank but thats going to cost me some cash, then the light bub went off. I have a 8 foot frag tank I can use. I am going to give this a go.

i love the idea of the big tank housing several tanks and keep a very stable temp. like crooks, my light bulbs went off about an acrylic holding tank. i would love to buy a sheet and work something out. would be cool.

okay so how many heaters will you need inside the one holding tank in order to heat all the tanks inside the container say im using 10 gallon tanks 3 of them???

okay so how many heaters will you need inside the one holding tank in order to heat all the tanks inside the container say im using 10 gallon tanks 3 of them???

Now it will be a little bigger. I used a 100w in my stock tank and it was perfect it was also all that I had sitting around

Alpha Aquaculture
I will do more water changes. I am also going to make another water change station so I have enough water on hand for a bunch of water changes instead of having to make new water in the middle of a hatch out and worry about salinity swings, that may have had something to do with it also. I probably also going back to using prime instead of amquel. Never had a problem with that

Thanks! Water change stations will make your life a lot easier :)

Thanks! Water change stations will make your life a lot easier :)

You got that right.

Well today is looking like a horny day in the garage. Snow are going to lay, ww are cleaning like mad, plat/misbar is fat as hell, bnw are cleaning like crazy too

Alpha Aquaculture

About 3/4 of your moon was dark. Other than moon phases being responsible for this 'group mating' it could be the lights in your garage being on as a alternative to moonlight. Or the last idea is maybe they can sense a hormonal release into the water by females or males.

One of my baby plats and my onyx female are starting to lay. I was at the tank this afternoon and the female had her overpower out.

Have a question

If it's a wild onyx will the offspring be f1 generation.

• 2 weeks later...

They officially had there first nest yesterday.

Does anyone know what generation it will be eg. F1,f2 etc

I also started to build my new system. Tank will consists of ~6gallon Chambers and made out of acrylic. Trying to simplify things and decrease power usage. I might be able to step down to a dart or at least a barracuda. It should be able to house 12 pairs. That 2 less then I currently have giving me some Noreen room

Also going to build a backup system. Had a four hour power outage earlier this month and It threw off the fishes spawn. Don't want that happening again.

parental->f1->f2->f3. But it all has to be the same inbred line. I think you have to use P again every time you introduce new blood, but im not sure on that point

Also going to build a backup system. Had a four hour power outage earlier this month and It threw off the fishes spawn. Don't want that happening again.

Are you going to add a generator? I'm getting quotes on a solar system right now.

I definitely would like to do solar but not sure if the incentives would be good enough in my state to grid tie.

I have a generator right now but if I'm not home I'm in trouble.

Thinking about getting a whole house system with a auto transfer switch

I definitely would like to do solar but not sure if the incentives would be good enough in my state to grid tie.

I have a generator right now but if I'm not home I'm in trouble.

Thinking about getting a whole house system with a auto transfer switch

I was checking out those systems at Costco - I like the idea of it switching on automatically when the power goes out. I'm going to see how far down the road I can get with the solar plan first though. I'm expecting the estimates to come in this week.

Archived