Top Shelf Aquatics

Banjo's Biocube 29

Banjo

Thanks Bomb!

Yeah, I will probably end up keeping the LPS. Truth is, those were some of my first corals from a year and a half ago and I really wouldn't want to part with them when it's all said and done.

I would buy a new Solana in a heartbeat if I could one that was tank only. Unfortunately they are all the bundled with lights, stand, etc and costs like $800. Too much for a minor aesthetic upgrade. How much did you get yours for?

Nick

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So if I can't find a 34g Solana, I think I might just downgrade to a 25g Solana. A lot cheaper and I can find one new for like $200.

I can't stand the biocube design anymore :(

SouthFlorida_Tron

just wait, find a 34...ull wish u had the extra room, im gettin sick of mine too, flow inside the display is horribad

It's not even so much flow for me... it's the whole design is ugly. I don't like the rounded corners and the slightly bowed front. Or the huge 4 inch black gap that houses the back compartment. And the big ass fish guard that comes up over the whole thing now that I took the rim off, lol.

Solana's just look 15x more clean without breaking the bank.

I bought mine used for $150. There are quite a few that pop up every month here in SoCal. I like the 25g Solana they aren't that much smaller than the 34.

I say go for it although your bio-cube is a really sweet set up!

God, I wish I could find one for $150. That is an amazing deal. I've found some on Craigslist and the cheapest anyone would take is $350. They all want like $400 because they include the stand. For a used Solana? Lol, give me a break.

And yeah, I was looking a lot at the 25g today and it actually looks very similar in size. It's a 2" cut off all the way around. 18"x18"x18" instead of 20"x20"x20" so I'm not sure the size difference is too big of a deal.

And I can actually find one new! ;)

I know, rofl. I have this thing so heavily modified that it's ridiculous. Wish I would have just went with something else in the beginning!

But truth be told, it was an impulse buy. Lol, now look where I am.

I'd say go for the 25 gal cube and drill it. Figure with the 34 solana you have the back compartment that takes up space so really you pay that extra money for 2" width and height. Not worth it IMO.

I'd say go for the 25 gal cube and drill it. Figure with the 34 solana you have the back compartment that takes up space so really you pay that extra money for 2" width and height. Not worth it IMO.

It would be the 25 Solana so I don't think I'm drilling. Don't want to deal with a sump atm anyways.

But yeah, I think I'm just going to go for the smaller one if I can't find a good deal on the 34 soon enough.

Love the tank Banjo! I was disappointed not to be able to view older pics of the tanks development. I'm in the process of attempting to establish my bio29 for the second time after a few sick fish from a LPS "poisoned" my already cycling tank. I have a handful of inverts and ONE of my fish remaining, a pretty black and white ocellaris. I did all the right things, my levels were all perfect and any newly introduced fish died within a few weeks. Anyways, I've enjoyed researching your mods and hope you can repost some pictures of this tanks' progress. I'm looking forward to getting into some soft corals and to continue from there!

Love the tank Banjo! I was disappointed not to be able to view older pics of the tanks development. I'm in the process of attempting to establish my bio29 for the second time after a few sick fish from a LPS "poisoned" my already cycling tank. I have a handful of inverts and ONE of my fish remaining, a pretty black and white ocellaris. I did all the right things, my levels were all perfect and any newly introduced fish died within a few weeks. Anyways, I've enjoyed researching your mods and hope you can repost some pictures of this tanks' progress. I'm looking forward to getting into some soft corals and to continue from there!

Hey! Thank you very much for the compliments :)

Unfortunately, I removed the old pictures from my photobucket. I still have them on a flashdrive, I will put them back up sometime to show some progress. I'll look for the drive tomorrow, it's in my closet somewhere.

Sounds like you have a plan. I look forward to your progress as well. Be sure to link me your thread once you create one!

Yay got me AI sol blue :) for my biocube 29..

I'm curious how high is your sol from water line?

I'm planning to set it 12"-15 high

Thanks

Jake

SouthFlorida_Tron

8-12 is fine, no need to go higher. Depends more on ur initial settings.... Start low, n see how ur corals react on a weekly basis once raised :)

gorgeous tank banjo!

Thank you =)

Yay got me AI sol blue :) for my biocube 29..

I'm curious how high is your sol from water line?

I'm planning to set it 12"-15 high

Thanks

Jake

I have mine set at 10" I wouldn't really go above 12".

How is the ATO coming?

Great! Thanks to you :) Found the exact pieces you have and hooked it all up to a 30 qt. sterilite I got from target. Works like a charm!

That's amazing. Very nice tank. I wanna ask a question. Does the Vortech MP 10 have warm-up and the sound problem? :)

Thank you!

What do you mean by "warm-up"?

It's a bit noisy, but it's not noticeable in my setup. The flow through the back chambers completely shadows the noise.

I know how you feel about the biocube. It's been an ok tank but I wish I had started with something else. But truthfully the only reason I got into reefing is my sister in law gave us the tank and stand for free because she killed everything she had in it and didn't want to deal with it anymore. good luck on your quest for a new tank.

I know how you feel about the biocube. It's been an ok tank but I wish I had started with something else. But truthfully the only reason I got into reefing is my sister in law gave us the tank and stand for free because she killed everything she had in it and didn't want to deal with it anymore. good luck on your quest for a new tank.

Thanks for the good luck. I haven't found much in the search yet, but hopefully soon!

At least you got a free tank :)

Archived