SaltCritters.com

Pak's 7.5g Rimless Cube

SnakPak

Sorry if this thread has become a little down. I just feel better getting some of my feelings out there. Today was my dad's funeral. Quite possibly the hardest day I've had yet, and I know there are many more to come. He had a great turn out though, and I think it spoke volumes of how great of a man he was. He is now at eternal rest and I hope that it's everything we all imagine it to be.

I still need to get some new shots of the tank with the light on. Hopefully tomorrow while I'm home I'll be able to. I'm starting to question the ability of LEDs to keep SPS colorful and vibrant. The frags I got seem to be browning out a little bit. They are extending their polyps very well though. I'm going to experiment with a little heavier feeding cycle to see if that changes anything.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Happy late birthday!

I'm sorry you're going through a rough time though, I know how bad it is as I lost my older brother to cancer 4 1/2 years ago.

The tank is sweet though, hopefully your re-scape turns out well and the gsp carpets well.

Im sorry about your dad! It must be hard :(

Your tank looks amazing i really like the setup with that one bulb can you tell me which bulb did you use the 40 or 60 degree one? Thanks!

I'm sorry for you loss brother.

Happy Birthday as well.

**For the GSP carpet I think it may be best to let it grow all the way until it gets to the edge of the glass and only prune it back on the vertical glass. That may help the growth patterns, but I'm not certain on that.

Best wishes to you and your family over the next months.

Your tank looks amazing i really like the setup with that one bulb can you tell me which bulb did you use the 40 or 60 degree one? Thanks!

I'm using the 60 degree optics right now. I love it. I think it does an excellent job of lighting up the tank.

Yeah i think one bulb should be enough for my next tank. Can you see any differents on coral growth with that bulb?

I know that my GSP went crazy when I added it. I also had an explosion of smaller mushrooms. SPS I can't tell. I think they did better under the halide, but I'm giving a few new frags a shot to see what happens.

Hey Pak,

Just curious on that growth. What salt mix do you use and how often do you do water changes? Also, do you do any dosing? Thanks

Jake

• 3 weeks later...

This thread deserves an update. Lately I've lost all my motivation to even keep the tank looking sparkly like it used to. It's been really dirty over the last few days, brown algae growing on the glass, algae on the sand. Disgusting. So last night I did a deep clean and did some re-arranging. It was good for me to get my mind off things as yesterday was a tough day.

I wasn't digging the bonsai scape. It just didn't look as appealing as I thought it would. So I broke up the rock into 3 small islands. I'm definitely missing the height that it had prior, but I think I might make up for that with a gorgonian. My 2 frags of SPS are doing really well and show some really good colors. I wanted to give the tank overnight to clear back up before I snapped some pics. I'll post some up today of the changes.

I also removed my K1. I don't like how large and obtrusive it is. Hopefully I can source a used M10, otherwise I'll go ahead and purchase a new one. The AC70 is providing all the flow right now. It seems ok for now, but I know I'll want more in the long run.

I'm also starting to realize how much of a pain it is to scape and clean with a cube tank. The next tank will definitely be a long, shallow one.

Hope everyone is having a good year so far.

Hey Pak,

Just curious on that growth. What salt mix do you use and how often do you do water changes? Also, do you do any dosing? Thanks

Jake

Sorry I didn't reply to you earlier. I haven't been on the site for a while now. I've always used Instant Ocean Reef Crystals. I've been meaning to try a different mix for some time, but it's easy for me to drive to the store and pick up versus ordering online. No dosing is performed on the tank. I've been feeding more lately with frozen brine and some other small food (like phyto plankton or something), which just means that my tank gets dirty quicker. Everything in the tank has responded well to the feedings though, so I'm going to keep up with them.

I ditched my refugium in the AC70 and went back to pillow stuffing and carbon. I didn't like the fuge as much and with as much as I'm feeding I honestly needed more filtration. Aside from that, I just perform weekly water changes. Though I have gone 2 weeks between changes lately. I'll be getting back on schedule now though.

nice tank, i like the new bonsai scape. Thinking about doing a small cube myself. Do you like the par38 more than your MH?

I'm up in the air about the Par38. I love the fact that I don't have to worry about my tank temperatures creeping up (which they did by several degrees during summer) and that I don't have to do bulb changes. However, I'm not seeing the growth that I was with the MH. Everything exploded under my halides, yet under the Par38 I'm getting average growth results. I've seen some growth from my zoas, but nothing like what others show. They were like that under my MH too. The only thing that is really growing really well is my frogspawn. It's absolutely massive and continues to pop out new heads. I've been debating adding another Par38 to get light from both sides of the tank, but I want to wait another 6 months before I do anything.

What kind of DSLR do you use? Macro lens? The pics are REALLY crisp and the bokeh is amazing!

What kind of filter do you have with this cube? Would you mind taking a picture from the side? Im thinking to order the same tank from Marinedepot soon. Really soon.

What kind of DSLR do you use? Macro lens? The pics are REALLY crisp and the bokeh is amazing!

What kind of filter do you have with this cube? Would you mind taking a picture from the side? Im thinking to order the same tank from Marinedepot soon. Really soon.

I actually use a canon point and shoot. My wife has a Canon Rebel XTi, but unfortunately we don't have a macro lens for it yet. She has some nice lenses, but they're no good for taking macro shots. I've been eyeballing lenses for some time, but I know she wants to purchase a lens for her own photo skills. She's more into taking pictures of people/events.

Thank you for the compliment on the pictures. They still don't do the tank any justice though. I have a hard time capturing what it really looks like. When I got home from work today I was stunned at how great it looked after I spent a few hours yesterday cleaning it.

The filter is an AquaClear 70. I previously had a AC30 on it, but stepped up to the AC70 when I wanted to do the fuge mod to the filter. I gave up on the fuge and went back to using it as a regular filter. It is massive though, so be prepared for it to take up the majority of the back of the tank. You'll have to cut down the intake tube for it to fit and not hit the bottom.

I love this cube. The quality is fantastic and it looks spectacular.

Here's a side shot. I'll try to get some more tomorrow, maybe even try out the DSLR.

IMG_0049-2.JPG

Archived