inTank Media Baskets

Pak's 7.5g Rimless Cube

SnakPak

I think firefish gobies are well known jumpers, aren't they? Plus my wife probably wouldn't allow me to spend more then $10 on a fish. Which is why we picked up another blue damsel. If this fish doesn't make it, then I'm officially calling it quits on trying to keep them.

On another note, I've been looking into setting up another pico aquarium. Well, technically it'll be for my wife. She wants it 3 gallons or less. It can be AIO or I could use a HOB. She wants a "taller" aquarium, something different from the normal rectangle or cube aquarium. I've been tossing around the idea of the PicoAquariums Orca, but it's tiny. I have the perfect location for this tank, but I want more tank ideas. She didn't like the JBJ Picotope. The Orca piqued her interest, but it has me a little leery because of how small it is. Not that I wouldn't mind the challenge. She also liked the Dymax IQ3, but I don't want an acrylic tank. Anyone have any other tank ideas?

I'll leave with a recent FTS (it's not quite that blue in real life, haha). 5 frags are coming my way on Tuesday. Looks like I'll have to start fragging out my Hammer and Frogspawn as they are starting to take over the bottom of the tank. I wish I could get a good picture of the GBTA, but it's eluding me a little bit.

Hope everyone had a great Christmas!

IMG_0013.jpg

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lmaoo that frogspawn is cray huge :P

yah firefish are jumpers but didnt you have a lid on if i recall from your earlier post already? and it'll suck if you just quit getting anyfish at all :(

kinda hard looking for taller picos and cubes are so versatile. hmmm if i think of something i'll let you know :P

lmaoo that frogspawn is cray huge :P

Yeah, it's starting to kill off just about anything it touches. The acan frag that I have is almost completely dead because the frogspawn expands so much. I'm really running out of room for anything in that tank.

The wife said to focus on this tank first and worry about another tank after I get the basement finished, so with that, I'm holding off on starting another tank. As much as I'd love to do another pico, I really do need to focus on the basement and I already know what I'm going to do for my next tank.

Back to this tank though, I've been thinking about completely re-doing the scape and goal of the tank. I'm just worried about creating another mini-cycle. I want to do a bonsai scape and have more of the bottom of the tank open for bottom dwelling corals, with minimal rockwork. I need to decide on this quick too because I have a few frags coming tomorrow and don't want to just throw them in the tank.

If I took out a couple pieces of my current live rock, added dead or dry rock, would I see much of a cycle? I don't want to completely kill my corals and inhabitants.

soo you got a rock of mushrooms :)

they look nice.

how's the clam doing?

also damsel will be good in here, what kind do you want? just need a lid for it, fish generally jump eventually.

The mushroom rock is pretty cool. They've been multiplying like crazy. I have a green striped mushroom in the back of the tank that isn't in the light and it is massive. It trumpets out pretty far too. I do want to get into more sps and other harder to keep corals though, which I have a few frags coming tomorrow.

The clam is doing really well. It looks like it's gotten a little bigger since I got it. I enjoy it's colors. The tank right now just has way too much green for my tastes.

I purchased a blue damsel. No top though as I didn't like it when I tried one. Took away from the clean look of the tank.

it will be sad when the damsel will jump :(

I think your tank looks nice even if its green. my pico wound up a bit green too, idk how it happened.

Thanks Newman! I completely rescaped the tank though and it will be a massive change from what it was before. I hope (crosses fingers, knocks on wood) that I don't lose anything to a mini-cycle. For now all the live stock is holding out in a 5 gallon bucket while the tank is cleared up. Then I'll do a 2-3 gallon water change and introduce everything. It's a dust storm in there right now.

I've had good luck with damsels not jumping. 1 disappeared and another died from being malnourished. This one I'm hoping to keep alive for it's normal life span.

ooo bonsai scape are so nice :D umm have you tried frag 101 on youtube? he teaches basically fraging all kinda corals so you can check that out. :) then you can get more SPS :D:D birdsnest and more acros :D

Never heard about frag 101 on youtube. I'll have to take a look at it. Thanks for the suggestion!

I'm hoping this scape looks as well as I want it to. I'm definitely not going to try again on this tank. So what I have will have to work for now. I'd also like to say that it is freakin' difficult to create a rock scape using glue and tie straps. I didn't even bother with tie straps because I got the glue to hold, but wow. It took a lot of effort!

well i tried looking for the youtube link for you but i cant seem to find it. it was about this boy around 18? that teaches you how to frag most corals i'll see if i can dig a bit deeper.

Thanks! I'm kind of sad to see the pretty full blown mature tank go back to looking empty, but I'm digging the negative space created so much more. I'm really looking forward to the GSP taking hold of the bare bottom in front of the tank and spreading like a carpet of grass. That's the only reason I have those 2 rocks up there.

Now I just need to get rid of that unsightly powerhead and put black tint on the back wall.

I'm really looking forward to the GSP taking hold of the bare bottom in front of the tank and spreading like a carpet of grass. That's the only reason I have those 2 rocks up there.

i was wondering why the front was BB...that's gonna look fantastic B)

Thanks Newman! I'm hoping that it will end up looking like I hope and want it to. Time will tell though.

I did trade in the remainder live rock, GSP frags and some of the encrusting monti as well as my hammer coral. Picked up a good sized frag of mixed zoas, a little anemone, and a scooter blenny. Now I know that keeping a scooter blenny is going to be difficult, but he was eating frozen mysis at the store. I'm also going to add copepods to the tank on a regular basis. I'm thinking about starting a refugium as well so the little guy doesn't starve. He's extremely active and massively entertaining to watch.

Still need to take some shots with the lights on. Here's a quick video I shot of the pulsing xenia before the re-scape.

Today marks the end of a year, and the end of my dad's fight with cancer. He passed away this morning. I hope all of you have a safe and enjoyable New Year's.

Today marks the end of a year, and the end of my dad's fight with cancer. He passed away this morning. I hope all of you have a safe and enjoyable New Year's.

Sorry to hear that, Pak. Best wishes to you and your family.

Sorry to hear about your loss. I am sure it was hard to watch your father's health decline. My mother has a lot of medical issues and it's hard to see her suffer. I just try to remember her as who she was and the things she could do rather than what she can't do now. I know her time is short but in a way it will be a relief not see her suffer anymore and finally be at peace. Thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family. Oh yea , Happy New Year ! Tank is looking awsome...

Thanks for the kind words guys. My dad was a great, honorable man whom I loved and respected very much. I'm glad he is no longer suffering, but I miss him terribly. Today I celebrate my 28th birthday. It will be hard not seeing him or hearing his voice, but I can smile knowing that he was proud of me.

2010_Jan%202%20Mills%20Brewery%20(10).JPG

ALNN,

Thanks for the link! There are some really nice tanks on there. I'll take a more in depth look tonight.

Archived