Top Shelf Aquatics

Pak's 7.5g Rimless Cube

SnakPak

Yeah some day... I can't wait for that day. The Vdub Club is a big one I used to attend shows when I had my '86 GTI but not my '02 GTI... that one I just take the track for lap days... more fun! That is a wicked video... what a cool little town! I think I blew up your thread by asking what car.... sorry man.

I'm hoping to take this car to the track. I never got around to it in either my boosted ZX3 or my RX8. I had signed up for track days for both, but had something come up every time. This time I won't miss out though. The only thing holding me back from doing mods to it right now is I'm finishing my basement. So I'm trying to allocate all my resources to that. Once I get that completed, then I can go back to focusing on modifying cars.

No worries about the car talk. I enjoy it thoroughly, so feel free to talk about it as much as you want in this thread. I'll throw up tank updates when I have them. :)

If you liked that video, you should check out this link. HD Car Videos I found that mecca for HD car videos a while back. I used to browse streetfire.net for videos, but I don't bother anymore because most are low quality and street races. I like well edited videos so much more. Just be careful with that link as there are a couple videos in there that have some NSFW material.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Drift Monkey
This Is how us subaru drivers get down in colorado

2011-04-10111310.jpg

You get down with the Evo guys? <_<

I've taken the Legacy out to a few track days...passing Audi S8s is fun! ;)

rofl, yes why do i see evos with the subarus? To perpetuate the continuous argument of which is better?

How is that tank doing?

I'm hoping to take this car to the track. I never got around to it in either my boosted ZX3 or my RX8. I had signed up for track days for both, but had something come up every time. This time I won't miss out though. The only thing holding me back from doing mods to it right now is I'm finishing my basement. So I'm trying to allocate all my resources to that. Once I get that completed, then I can go back to focusing on modifying cars.

Track days are expensive but to be honest the best mod is a set of track tires... I used Toyo Proxies RA1's. Awesome tires! You will be amazed what you can do with good tires.

rofl, yes why do i see evos with the subarus? To perpetuate the continuous argument of which is better?

How is that tank doing?

Tank is good. Nothing really new with it. Definitely need to do a water change and cleaning. Starting to look a little grimey.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, let's take some time to discuss something that I can't quite wrap my head around. Corals browning out. I've done a lot of reading on this topic and the subject is still clear as mud. A few of the wonderful looking frags I picked up have turned a nice shade of poo after a few weeks. They still show excellent polyp extension, but there's just no color at all.

So what is it? Lack of nutrients, excess of nutrients? Lighting? Calcium, Magnesium, Alk? I want the colors to come back stronger than ever, but I honestly don't know where to start. I see a lot of tanks where people do literally nothing at all and they have wonderful looking SPS. They have massive zoa colonies, and yet, I see literally no growth from my zoas and the majority of my SPS loses it's wonderful looking initial color. What is it that I'm not doing that is causing this to happen?

I've thought about upgrading the tank size, adding a sump and moving everything out of the display. But I don't want to do anything like that until I know what is causing slow growth in some corals and loss of color in others.

Anyone have any insight or something that I could try? I'm willing to try anything and datalog it if necesssary.

What do your water parameters look like?

Honestly, haven't check them in a while. Probably my starting point. :lol: When I do my water change tonight I'll check them (prior to change). I do know my calcium levels are low.

Corals browning out? I betting it's your acropora / sps's. You need more light. From the picts I've seen it appears that your light is very focused and dark around the edges. I would certainly consider a DIY led for more light and better coverage.

that could be just his camera darkening the picture. if even soft corals and LPS are doing that, definitely check the parameters including calcium, KH, phosphates the whole shebang. Check them all before you do your water change.

Corals browning out? I betting it's your acropora / sps's. You need more light. From the picts I've seen it appears that your light is very focused and dark around the edges. I would certainly consider a DIY led for more light and better coverage.

I think he has a 150 watt halide over his tank. I would say that's more than enough light.

No, he has a PAR 38 light fixture with 3 3watt royal blue CRE leds and 2 3watt CRE cool white leds. The led's are using optics which give it such a tight pattern. It's 15 watts of light over 144 square inches of surface area. The PAR reading in the center of the light is most likely enough for the SPS's but the PAR will reduce exponentially with distance from the center. His LPS and softies are doing fine as they can survive with less PAR than SPS. More light is required over a broader area.

https://www.nanotuners.com/pages.php?pID=4

I really want a cube.

They are great, but honestly, if I had to do it over again, I'd do a shallow rectangular tank over a cube. Cubes look great, but they can be such a pain in the rear to work in. With my live rock and corals, I can just barely get my hands in there to move stuff around without knocking something over or breaking SPS frags.

No, he has a PAR 38 light fixture with 3 3watt royal blue CRE leds and 2 3watt CRE cool white leds. The led's are using optics which give it such a tight pattern. It's 15 watts of light over 144 square inches of surface area. The PAR reading in the center of the light is most likely enough for the SPS's but the PAR will reduce exponentially with distance from the center. His LPS and softies are doing fine as they can survive with less PAR than SPS. More light is required over a broader area.

https://www.nanotuners.com/pages.php?pID=4

Actually, it's over-driven to 21 watts, but yes, it's the Par 38 light bulb from Evil.

Didn't check the parameters prior to changing the water (doh!), but I did check them just a few minutes ago. I double checked my calcium level because I didn't believe the first result.

pH: 7.8-8.0 (That damn color was hard to distinguish)

Ammonia: 0

Nitrate: 0

Nitrite: 0

Calcium: Over 500 ppm

Alk: High on the test kit. Not sure if I should try a more accurate kit though.

The calcium level seems high, but I checked it twice. Carefully following the directions too. Yesterday was a big water change. It was my first water change in I believe 3 weeks. I did 3 gallons, which is 40%. I honestly could have gone longer because the tank looked great, but we all know that we have to replace all those trace elements.

I also removed my Koralia 1. I figured with the AC70, I have more than enough flow for this tank. I couldn't stand how much light the K1 blocked either. My frogspawn has definitely extended further since it is now receiving more light.

The SPS browning out is really puzzling to me. 1 of them has maintained it's blue/green hue. The other one came to me brownish in color, but the 3rd was a beautiful green/blue shade. It's completely poo brown now. I'm not sure if it turned brown because it's almost directly under the bulb, or something else. I'm going to feed the corals every day to see if that changes things. My birdsnest is now white looking, however its not dead. I can still see the polyps extending from it and it has a very light intense pink color when you look at it very closely.

On a side note, I did an SCCA Solo School this past weekend with a good friend from work. We were out at Belle Isle all day Saturday running stints behind the wheel. I am definitely hooked on the sport now. I have no idea why I waited this long to do something like this, but I'm going to be doing more events in the future. It was a great learning experience and I thoroughly enjoyed putting the STi through her paces. Even though she's on crappy all-seasons, she definitely showed her worth against more competitive cars. Best part was beating the instructors lap time by a full second. Granted, I'm sure he would have spanked me with more seat time, but it was awesome anyways!

IMAG0083.jpg

Awesome, I used to auto-x a lot, no time for it right now. Tires are you best friend! ;)

Those were my thoughts prior to starting that event. I've always had 2 sets of wheels for every car I've owned (winter and summer). This car came with brand new all-seasons when I bought it, so I couldn't justify spending the extra money on tires right away. I'll burn through these, then mount winter wheels to the stock wheels. Next year will be new rims and tires. :)

On a side note, I did an SCCA Solo School this past weekend with a good friend from work. We were out at Belle Isle all day Saturday running stints behind the wheel. I am definitely hooked on the sport now. I have no idea why I waited this long to do something like this, but I'm going to be doing more events in the future. It was a great learning experience and I thoroughly enjoyed putting the STi through her paces. Even though she's on crappy all-seasons, she definitely showed her worth against more competitive cars. Best part was beating the instructors lap time by a full second. Granted, I'm sure he would have spanked me with more seat time, but it was awesome anyways!

Haha awesome man! Racing is seriously addicting... I shredded my Michelin all seasons the first time out and made my GF puke it was hilarious. After that I bought that set of Toyo RA1's even in the rain I was passing cars I shouldn't have been passing. I also installed two sets of race harnesses... SCHROTH makes some that clip in to your stock seat belts. Have fun and keep an eye on your wallet!

http://www.schrothracing.com/store/Tuning/quick-fit/qf-wrx

Your STi came with all seasons? :blink:

No, well, technically yes. I bought it used at the end of February. Either the dealer or the person who traded it in put the all-seasons on.

Oh, forgot to add yesterday. The Par38 is 9 inches from the top of the water surface, then there's another 11" to the top of the sand bed. My now poo brown coral is located about 3" below the surface of the water, about 2-3" off center from the bulb.

Oh, forgot to add yesterday. The Par38 is 9 inches from the top of the water surface, then there's another 11" to the top of the sand bed. My now poo brown coral is located about 3" below the surface of the water, about 2-3" off center from the bulb.

Keep us posted on how the corals do.

Gorgeous car btw...i gotta upgrade from my rex soon. :(

• 1 month later...

It's been a while since I updated this thread. The tank has been pretty neglected over the last month or so. Water changes were every 2-3 weeks, and I was starting to accumulate a lot of algae. So last night, I set about doing a huge water change (4 gallons) and scrubbing the tank down.

Which got me thinking. I really, really hate cubes. Seriously, they look phenomenal. I, however, can't stand how difficult it is to clean this thing and arrange stuff. The space is so limited that I can barely get my hand in there to maneuver stuff around, let alone clean the glass when it's full.

Also, my frogspawn is getting so massive that I absolutely need more room for it to grow. I really don't want to have to frag it because it's my best coral. As much as I want to buy more corals to diversify, I can't justify it when I literally have little room for them.

So, massive changes are coming my faithful followers. Well, not really massive. I will be adding an additional gallon of volume....in the form of the just 1 minute ago purchased ADA 60-F. My wife might kill me when it shows up....or if she finds out just how much it cost to ship it.

Archived