Top Shelf Aquatics

Pak's 7.5g Rimless Cube

SnakPak

Question of the day: Do I go back to using metal halide or do I buy another Par38? Going to need to light up the 60-F somehow.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply
there'd be some crazy evap with a halide over a 60-f. i vote another par38

That's kind of what I'm thinking too. Not to mention I really don't want to have to buy another halide fixture, and all the replacement bulbs when another Par38 would do just fine. However, I'm not really seeing the growth and coloration that my halide once provided. I'm not sure if it's because of my lack of water changes (probably a large part), but even when I was on a routine schedule, I wasn't seeing much growth or coloration. Having a larger foot-print will allow me way more coral placement options, and will help with placing the corals in the right areas of the tank.

I don't know, just didn't see the same results that I did with halide. For sake of simplicity though, I'll do another Par38.

Your tank looks good and so do the pics.

I'm looking at running a mr. aqua 7.5 cube for my acans and favias. What degree optics are on your par38's? I'm looking at running two led wholesaler dimmable par38 lamps so I can dial in each color. I'm hoping that two would work with the 30 degree optics.

I'm running 60 degree optics on the Par38. Personal opinion here, but 30 degree optics are pretty tight, especially with 2 bulbs over a Mr. Aqua 7.5cube. My 1 bulb is perfect for the size of the tank. I honestly can't imagine running 2 over this tank. With that tight of optics, I'd really be afraid of bleaching the corals. The 60 degree provides plenty of PAR to grow acans and favias. Of course, you're planning on dimmable, so you could dial back.

Have you looked at the rapidled Par38's? 7 LED with plenty of spectrum.

I have been running the rapid led par 38 with 7 leds and 80 degree optics since I got my tank. I have been very happy with it. I would reccomend it to anyone.

cool! you doing a new thread or changing the name on this one?

You know, I didn't think about that. Perhaps I'll start a new thread. The 7.5gal may be down, but I'm going to do something different with it in the next few months. So maybe different threads would be a good idea.

what kind of coral do you have in there? and can you tell how many lbs of live rock/sand do you have in there?

Think I answered you in the other thread, in the members tanks forum. If not, I will post the list again.

• 1 month later...

Haven't updated in a while folks. Sorry about that. I am considering going bare bottom. Thoughts? My reason is that my MP10 just blows sand around like nuts, which it in turn sucks up during the undertow and seizes up every now and then. I can't keep any sand on that side of the tank.

I'll try to get some new pics up tomorrow.

I'm an idiot. Posted an update in the wrong thread.. Moving the post over to the other thread.

Yoshii,

Damsel and goby seem good so far.

• 1 year later...

Archived