Cultivated Reef

got2envy's 40g long macroalgae " Welcome To The Jungle" tank

got2envy

Maria, that is my favorite FTS of all the ones you've posted, tank is looking awesome.

I hope I can get my tank looking as nice once I get it up.

Could you remind me what you are using for flow in here?

I am trying to research to know what to pumps to buy for the Macro 57g I'm working on.

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maria, that is my favorite FTS of all the ones you've posted, tank is looking awesome.

Totally agree...it looks so lush :happy:

Speaking of how closely related is fw planted tank husbandry to salt. Would a macro tank benefit from the same technology.

I hope I can get my tank looking as nice once I get it up.

Could you remind me what you are using for flow in here?

I am trying to research to know what to pumps to buy for the Macro 57g I'm working on.

I have the HOB from drs foster and smith with the Surface skimmer

1x Koralia 1

1x Koralia 2

and a small rio 50

dats it :)

I would say it is medium flow in some areas and high in others...I added thos 2 koralia nanos that I had gotten for the contest tank but it just blew everything around way to much so I pulled them out...I say if it ain't broke...:P

Totally agree...it looks so lush :happy:

Thanks! I really like the way the reds are filling in!

at some times it's too lush haha

Speaking of how closely related is fw planted tank husbandry to salt. Would a macro tank benefit from the same technology.

I don't think so...most FW tanks use CO2 injection to help the plants grow, SW I guess it is about flow, light and water balance also FW plants take a lot of nutrients from the type of substrate you use...my tank has 1-2" of sand...35 lbs to be exact.

I tried FW plants and never could get the knack...I give props to those beautiful FW planted tanks that I see...that takes serious skillz.

Oh wow. That's just totally stunning!

Thanks!! ;)

blending...blending....

P1010005-4.jpg

Mooooo!!!

P1010026.jpg

:wub:

Hi M! My (Maria inspired) planted tank is coming along nicely. I just put a striped blenny in there.

I'll get pics this weekend. Yours still makes me jelous though :happy: .

animalmaster6
:wub:

Hi M! My (Maria inspired) planted tank is coming along nicely. I just put a striped blenny in there.

I'll get pics this weekend. Yours still makes me jelous though :happy: .

OPY!

Post it please :flower:

Waiting for pichurs of new Macro....

Did it come in looking okay?

Yep it came in ! some of it detached from the rock, but I glued it back on :happy:

still has a bit of the orange tips..I put it in the 20H contest tank and put a small piece in this tank :)

I will take pix tomorrow.. i am at work now :mellow:

OPY!

Post it please :flower:

yes!! post it up :P

Tragedy has struck!!

A few days ago while at work the transformer on my block went out at 6PM...so I was told by the hubby...I was at work...power was out for 4 hrs and I think Moo took it badly :(

He has passed away along with all fish in the tank :o I believe it was the low oxygen levels..I am not sure that this is what killed all of the other fish. My other 3 reefs are fine with no losses -_- . My Eel and filefish were last to go my hubby says...I felt bad because he was in a panic when he called. He got home from work at 9:30PM and flipped out, like I would have. When I got home the water was cloudy. My heart sank to the floor.

I had my waterchange guy come out and do a 100% waterchange the next day on the tank, running carbon in a reactor and a UV sterilizer for the last few days. All of the macros survived as well as the snails, hermits...the micro brittle stars and bristle worms looked like they were having a bit of a struggle but pulled through. I have pods on the glass again which is a good sign fingerscrossed

RIP longhorned cowfish (Moo), Frosty (snowflake), royal gramma, filefish, scorpionfish and fu man chu :tears:

Sorry I did not say anything, but it took me a few days to compose myself...the tank is so lonely now when I walk by.

I don't know what fish I will add, but I have to do it soon as the macros will suffer without them.

M

maria i dont know if you knew that cow fish protect themselves by releasing a toxin. Because they can't escape the confines of the aquarium if a cowfish becomes stressed it may release this toxin poisoning themselves and your other fish in the process. In addition, if it dies the toxin will be released. ( i had one and my dad told me that they are poisonous and that i should get rid of it )

sorry for your loss.

Yep I knew of the toxins, I am not sure if this is what happened or how much of the toxin it would take to kill large fish like the eel, filefish and fu man chu...Moo was tiny...maybe 4"

I dunno...what do u guys think I should add...no more poisonous fish for me for a while :scarry:

Moo is irreplaceable in my eyes :tears: and my Fu took a while to train on frozen...I dunno if I want to go through that ordeal again.

thanks guys! Iknow how much u loved him :(

Archived