SaltCritters.com

20long barrier/lagoon build

bird

Oh I see a few.

I think I know what the zoas are doing. The algae becomes loose and goes to the zoas and the zoas mouths are open. Do you feed them?

I feed the protopalys once or twice a week, mostly the Grandis. It keeps them growing and their color up. I haven't bothered feeding the palythoas.

I am afraid since the tank is so small to add too much food.

I have been feeding the sps a couple times a week with zooplex.

Someone gave me a tank measuring 48Wx16Hx12D and I was thinking about making a larger version of this tank.

More room for the corals and much more stable.

I thought I would use a 2 foot MH fixture over one half and T5x4 over the other half.

Can't seem to get rid of any sps cause I have decided to go all zoanthids, but no one is wanting any sps right now unless I give them away free and can't do that...spent too much on them, so larger tank is now all I can think to do.

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

here is a Purple Death I just placed a small algae stem across the polyp. It has tacken it into the mouth.

I will watch and see what it does with it.

Picture788.jpg?t=1277647487

Thanks.

Newest addition though not sure what they are. Bright whatever they are.

Also got a couple polyps nightmares though they have not opened fully yet.

Picture803.jpg?t=1277684565

• 3 weeks later...

few new pics

nothing much different except getting more growth and color

tricolor starting to come along nicely thanks to reefer916 who got me started doing small daily water changes. Also able to drop all additives/dosing except for kalk in top off and magnesium dose.

Picture1091.jpg?t=1279154271

FTS

Picture1042.jpg?t=1279154407

and some color

Picture1002.jpg?t=1279154437

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got hold of a Red Planet. Been wanting one for the longest.

Sweet coral. Hope I can retain the color.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Picture1140.jpg

Wow!!

I love Red Planet. They are one of my favorite corals.

Before I got into sps they were in all the reef shops here it seems, then I get into sps and can't find a one. Got this from a bud.

I just hope it keeps its color.

I have heard so many times it changing.

So is the shallow end a separate tank then the deep end or is this a custom made tank?

I added the shallow. It is a 20 long.

This is what the shallow is now. I wanted it to be for macro but I was not aware that sps grew so fast so now I have turned it into a frag section. Kind of lame I know.

So now it will be for the sps and zoanthid trims. Maybe I can grow them out and either sell or trade them for supplies locally.

Picture1148.jpg

No fragging yet. I need to get rid of the excess stuff on there before I can start fragging.

Blueangel44
I added the shallow. It is a 20 long.

This is what the shallow is now. I wanted it to be for macro but I was not aware that sps grew so fast so now I have turned it into a frag section. Kind of lame I know.

So now it will be for the sps and zoanthid trims. Maybe I can grow them out and either sell or trade them for supplies locally.

No fragging yet. I need to get rid of the excess stuff on there before I can start fragging.

Not lame at all I love it would be sick to costume make a tank like this so it would be one tank would be Very hard but would be amazing!

animalmaster6
Before I got into sps they were in all the reef shops here it seems, then I get into sps and can't find a one. Got this from a bud.

I just hope it keeps its color.

I have heard so many times it changing.

I wish they weren't so darn expensive.

I wish they weren't so darn expensive.

What are they, about $50 for a 2"?

I am planning on fragging and growing some out. Won't sell for that much. I was going to do frags of all my sps eventually, probably for $10-$15 a frag. Just enough to cover salt and other things for the tank. I like the cheap frags, that way if I buy and have losses, not a big deal and if I sell and there are losses, not a lots to have to replace.

I am pretty excited. Got my 70wt MH pendant today and it will hang over the frag section.

Pics to come.

Got the frag shelf put in and the light hooked up over it.

You can see the difference in the lighting. The frag section has a cheap 10k that came with the fixture and the deep part has a 150wt Phoenix 14K bulb over it. I want to get a bluer bulb but undecided on which still.

Not really looking to grow everything real fast, just enough to get some good trades for zoanthids and pay for salt.

At the end before I die or change hobbies, whichever comes first, I would like to have a tank full of all high end zoanthids and a couple prize colored sps.

The end...for now.

Picture1174.jpg

You can really see the difference in the light in this photo. I notice that zoanthids seem to grow a lot faster than sps in this tank. Guess that is probably normal.

The Mohawks at the lower center of the pic were about 4 polyps 2.5 months ago.

Well, it is really hard I notice to see the Mohawks clearly. I will get a closer picture later.

Picture1206.jpg

animalmaster6

Wow Huge difference!! Do you think you'll be selling at the end of Summer?

The colonies you have in this tank are unreal.

Wow Huge difference!! Do you think you'll be selling at the end of Summer?

The colonies you have in this tank are unreal.

just depends on growth really. It would be nice when the weather cools a bit.

Which do you think are the better of the lot? Since space is tight I wanted to just focus on a few of the sps.

The ones that do not color up real bright I will trade off to one of the local reef shops and give more room to the others.

I noticed a couple time, though it may have been coincidence, that a few small sps that were being touched by zoanthids at the base lost their flesh. THe flesh out of reach of the zoanthids is colorful and healthy looking but I moved them just in case.

Think it was just coincidence?

What do you mean? Better of the lot?

Hmm that's odd.

Not really sure exactly what I mean. I am still in the stages of deciding what I can afford room to. Pretty much all the zoanthids I am going to try and frags of growing, but it seems that sps has become less popular when trading or selling.

Acans seem to be pretty hot item right now.

animalmaster6

Zoas are always selling well Imo.

Nice SPS are too.

Yes if you can get acans to grow very fast sell them. They go for incredible prices.

If you are interseted in selling why not start a frag tank?

Archived