ReefCleaners.org

20long barrier/lagoon build

bird

Zoas are always selling well Imo.

Nice SPS are too.

Yes if you can get acans to grow very fast sell them. They go for incredible prices.

If you are interseted in selling why not start a frag tank?

That's a thought. Maybe this winter I could set one up and try my luck at growing.

Unfortunately one tank is all I can handle right now. Finances and time are stressed at the moment.

The reason I mention acans is that they seem to be flooding the local market right now, some really nice ones too. They are pretty cool, especially come feeding time.

OMG, now I am getting images of acans of all different colors covering the rack.

When will it ever end?

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

wow this tank is so awesome and full of color. How do you keep those colors and nice growth in such a small water volume?

Nice work. Very different and well planned

I had an idea similar to this awhile back, this is really cool and quite unique with amazing corals, maybe one day when I have my own house I'll get creative. Awesome thread!

latest pics from different angles of the deep end and I added a pic of before the tank was started.

I am really quite pleased with how the tank has done. The filter is really simplified basically the water enters the overflow where I have filter media and then into the bottom chamber where there is lots of chaetomorpha.

I have a light on the refugium while the display lights are off. Water returns through a hole at the bottom refugium wall via Maxijet 400. So far I have pulled it out once since set up to clean it.

Along with a couple quarts of water change every day or other day, top-off with RO kalk water and magnesium addition it is pretty low maintenance giving me time to tinker and observe the corals.

begin Feb 10

Picture675.jpg

present day

Picture1833.jpg

Picture1814.jpg

The colonies sure are taking off!!

Much faster than i had expected. A downfall of such a shallow tank with rock wall. I have had to prune the sps to keep it from touching the zoanthids or each other and leaving the water.

Found out the hard way that sps can burn the #### out of other sps. Didn't think they were that bad toward each other.

Grows right back though.

I think since I started Tropic Marin and have stuck with it everything has settled in nicely.

It has been 10 weeks since using Tropic Marin Pro reef.

Results are good. I do add magnesium every morning, dose the top off water with kalkwasser for calcium.

1 capful of Brightwell Magnesion daily keeps the level at 1300 +/- 50/

Calcium stays around 450 and alk at 10dkh

On occasion when I see the tank looking like it is getting hazy I add 1/2 to 1 capful of the BW Magnesion and it clears within minutes.

I do like the results of the salt mix now that it has kicked in and the corals have adjusted from RC.

Growth in the corals both sps and zoanthids has been much better than expected.

Colors are getting better by the week. Everything stays open and sps have good polyp extension during the day.

Only filtration is LR, LS, refugium, water changes and Polyfilters (started 5 weeks ago changing filter every week).

Great to hear.

I think I'm going to use the Bio Actif salt.

I would like but the price is prohibitive right now. Maybe next time around.

If you do post the results. So far it looks like it is a decent salt from the posts about it.

Some new corals. They look rough but just got them in the tank. Curious as to what the reddish ones are amongst the NG.

NG and Horizons?

IMG_5678.jpg

Candy Apple Pinks?

IMG_5670.jpg

Did know the name but forgot now. Dragon Eyes?

IMG_5691.jpg

unknown

IMG_5655.jpg

Cali tort

IMG_5701.jpg

nice additions :happydance:

Thanks

Great Stuff!

1. I think NG and Horizons

3. Dragon Eye's

Sounds right.

I really look forward to these corals filling out. I would like no rock showing when the lights are on.

I added chemi-pur today also. I haven't been using a skimmer lately and the poly filters seem to be working fine but I thought a little more protection would be good.

The tank looks fantastic!

Thanks. I am afraid I may have to upgrade. When I see a nice frag I can't seem to stop myself from getting it. lol

Guess that is a problem with most of us though.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived