Coral Vue Hydros

What's the best nano aquascape you've ever seen

ReefDreamz

Enyo does have a point. Just because you laid your tank out to the golden rule doesn't mean your tank is going to look good. Its all about creating a natural environment

Edited by wobbabobba
  • Like 1

Enyo is just pissed off because he tried to paint once and it sucked, then he tried adjusting his composition using the golden ration and it still sucked.

I wouldn't say that I go out of my way to follow the golden rule to a T but as a designer, my aquascapes always seem to follow the rules subconsciously. Must be an occupational hazard.

picospiral1.jpg

picospiral2.jpg

maxspiral.jpg

For example, I don't think these tanks look good at all. Sure you laid them out to the golden rule but they are too cramped and don't look natural.

Japanese reef tanks are always nice, so here are some links for inspiration:

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=e...Den%26prmd%3Div

http://aqua-rei.com/photo.html

http://www.splash-sea.co.jp/tank/index.html

Just because ratios/proportionality schemes were used does not make them automatically superior, especially if they are based on unscientific reasons. There are many artists, both before and after the Renaissance and Neo-Classicism, who created great art without explicit ratios. That doesn't mean these schemes are useless since they can help people find a framework to work around, but it is dangerous to apply proportion schemes to artwork after they have been made and claim that scheme was the reason for their appeal. I remember in my architecture books the building plans and diverse ratios used, which depended heavily on the culture (i.e. Japanese tatami mats at a ratio of 2:1 or the Indian Vastu Shastra with its mandalas of grouped squares). Here is a good article by a mathematician about misconceptions of the golden ratio:

http://www.math.nus.edu.sg/aslaksen/teachi...a/markowsky.pdf

• Like 1
Enyo is just pissed off because he tried to paint once and it sucked, then he tried adjusting his composition using the golden ration and it still sucked.

I'm not pissed at all, I simply implored people to think for themselves and dig deeper.

Take what you want from it, I dont care.

For example, I don't think these tanks look good at all. Sure you laid them out to the golden rule but they are too cramped and don't look natural.

As I said, I don't go out of my way to lay my aquascapes out within the golden rule. I'm not sitting here with a t-square and a compass obsessively measuring every dimension and angle in my tank. I'm merely pointing out the fact that as a designer, my mind naturally lays things out within those parameters subconsciously whether it's a website, an editorial layout, or in this case, a tank full of rocks and corals. I'm not saying that laying things out to the golden ratio is the only way to to achieve a great looking tank but it's a proportion that exists throughout nature and one that every good designer has an eye for whether they're aware of it or not.

And yes, those tanks are cramped but that's what happens when you try to stuff the ocean into a three gallon box. ;)

As I said, I don't go out of my way to lay my aquascapes out within the golden rule. I'm not sitting here with a t-square and a compass obsessively measuring every dimension and angle in my tank. I'm merely pointing out the fact that as a designer, my mind naturally lays things out within those parameters subconsciously whether it's a website, an editorial layout, or in this case, a tank full of rocks and corals. I'm not saying that laying things out to the golden ratio is the only way to to achieve a great looking tank but it's a proportion that exists throughout nature and one that every good designer has an eye for whether they're aware of it or not.

And yes, those tanks are cramped but that's what happens when you try to stuff the ocean into a three gallon box. ;)

You have no idea what you are talking about. It's actually disgusting, so much that i'm done posting in this thread.

You have no idea what you are talking about. It's actually disgusting, so much that i'm done posting in this thread.

2747851326_5d685358f9.jpg?v=0

Edited by spanko
Deleted User 6

my aquascape is pretty awesome. Fab, overlay the spiral to show everyone how i subconsciously used it in my design. kthx.

1062004639_z7Twm-L.jpg

Note the use of negative space. Also, I added rocks.

lol. and AI is high end? when you said high end i was thinking more along the lines of RISD or something. Fab's tank were always amazing. I've yet to see anyone do so much with such limited space.

WOW

AwesomeShallowRImlessReefSetupfromReefCentral.jpg

from Reef Central.

That's jaw-dropping. Is there a thread anywhere on this tank? Anyway, I don't think you can come up with a certain aesthetic that works for everyone. I feel like this thread should be used more as inspiration than anything else. In the end, if you're happy with your aquascape then that's what matters. I really do like the unique styles you see on this thread. Some I think work, some I don't, but very inventive none the less.

• Like 2
my aquascape is pretty awesome. Fab, overlay the spiral to show everyone how i subconsciously used it in my design. kthx.

Note the use of negative space. Also, I added rocks.

1062004639_z7Twm-L.jpg

Holy crap! You're a designer and you didn't even know. omgomgomg

Too bad you suck at picking out ties.

Fab:

prz come to CO and re-do my aquascape for vodka.

Deal. :happy:

lol, wut?

^ I, for one, am relieved.
Make that two.

Seriously, the Art Institutes are such ####ty schools that I wouldn't even brag about going to one let alone calling it a high-end art school. Going to AI did nothing good for me and other than my student loan debts, I literally have nothing to show from going there because it sucked. So much that I can't even reference it professionally because my peers would laugh at me.

No prob. I have a bunch of Puffy's vodka and some cardamom Svedka.

Sweet!