Innovative Marine Aquariums

What's the best nano aquascape you've ever seen

ReefDreamz

Mr. Microscope
Dang you!

I saw the tread title and was going to post this tank. Its actually a friend of mines tank!

Here is an updated picture of it.

4627842783_673cd589e7.jpg

Does anyone have a link to this tank thread?

Edited by Mr. Microscope
  • 2 months later...

The Golden Ratio is a load of ####. Just because you trace your layout with a Fibonacci Spiral doesn't make it a good aquascape, or any more "aesthetically pleasing."

Having actually attended a high end art school, I can tell you that any type of design or layout based solely off of a ratio will get you laughed out of a critique.

Using the elements of design, BALANCE, HARMONY, DOMINANCE, LINE, SHAPE, SIZE, MOTION, VALUE, HUE, TEXTURE, et cetera, you can THOUGHTFULLY create something successful.

What i'm getting at is the entire point is to push the boundaries, get your idea across no matter the means or medium. Create something not only unique, but moving. OPPOSED TO using a "cookie cutter" layout, TRACING AND OR COPYING.

"But the golden ratio is what everything successful in nature and history is based off of." If you knew ANYTHING about the golden ratio, you would know that this is NOT true. There is no consistency in these marvels of nature and history and almost all instances claimed to fall under the Golden Ratio are off by various degrees.

The "two thirds rule" has its merit as being pleasing to the eye, but most of these aquascapes cited don't formulate under this rule properly.

Not trying to be a ####, but I don't like it when people act like an authority and have no idea what they are talking about.

• Like 1

Some advice I would give to the aspiring aquascapist; study your favorite aquascapes deeper than the superficial layer. What makes a good aquascape? Just because everyone thinks it's good, doesnt make it good. What about the specimens that have to live in our tanks, what will make them happy?

We now have a duality of aesthetics and efficiency. Every rock has it's purpose, powerhead and light placement is there FOR A REASON. Form is function.

Art is subjective, but I think this will steer you in the right direction.

The Golden Ratio is a load of ####. Just because you trace your layout with a Fibonacci Spiral doesn't make it a good aquascape, or any more "aesthetically pleasing."

Having actually attended a high end art school, I can tell you that any type of design or layout based solely off of a ratio will get you laughed out of a critique.

Using the elements of design, BALANCE, HARMONY, DOMINANCE, LINE, SHAPE, SIZE, MOTION, VALUE, HUE, TEXTURE, et cetera, you can THOUGHTFULLY create something successful.

What i'm getting at is the entire point is to push the boundaries, get your idea across no matter the means or medium. Create something not only unique, but moving. OPPOSED TO using a "cookie cutter" layout, TRACING AND OR COPYING.

"But the golden ratio is what everything successful in nature and history is based off of." If you knew ANYTHING about the golden ratio, you would know that this is NOT true. There is no consistency in these marvels of nature and history and almost all instances claimed to fall under the Golden Ratio are off by various degrees.

The "two thirds rule" has its merit as being pleasing to the eye, but most of these aquascapes cited don't formulate under this rule properly.

Not trying to be a ####, but I don't like it when people act like an authority and have no idea what they are talking about.

wow dude, just wow. no offense but you sound just like those crackhead art professors at my old college i attended. I gave up a full graphic design scholarship to pursue aquarium science and aquaculture. I couldn't stand art because of all the rules and boundaries set. I think every singe one of these aquascapes here look great, and i would challenge you to create something equal or better.

After looking at Ciotti's tank for a bit, I'd like to share my take on it.

I can tell you right off the bat that it was obviously thought out. Non-photosynthetic corals are shadowed by the mass up top. The vortech is dispersed by the mass, but still allows mild flow up top. Among other things, ITS FRUSTRATING.

I say this because the vibration and tension in this tank are peaking at exorbitant levels. It walks the fine line of symmetry and asymmetry. At first glance the space is balanced, but wait, is it?

In terms of symmetry, everything is canted as I mentioned. For instance the sun coral (which is the FOCAL POINT because of the great contrast and line at play), the upper most is off to the left slightly. This was planned - he knew this would be the focus. Ciotti just ate you. The BTA on the bottom left and the LPS on the bottom right make an ALMOST symmetric balance, but the "foot" of the rock adds weight to the left. I could go on, the Gorgonians at the top, HECK EVEN THE CARDINALS ARE SLIGHTLY ASYMMETRIC.

As for balance, I'll let you figure it out. The negative space and used space are about 1:1, but the focal point pulls you towards uncertainty.

Not only was the scape thought out, but so was the photography. Vibration and tension really rouse the eye, don't they?

/end rant

wow dude, just wow. no offense but you sound just like those crackhead art professors at my old college i attended. I gave up a full graphic design scholarship to pursue aquarium science and aquaculture. I couldn't stand art because of all the rules and boundaries set. I think every singe one of these aquascapes here look great, and i would challenge you to create something equal or better.

I'm saying just that; don't follow rules.

I am not dissing peoples aquascapes either, most of these are exceptional. Just don't preach a "rule", claim to follow the "rule", then botch the "rule".

### the rule. Use your head.

• Like 1
I went to the Art Institute. Go ahead and discredit me all you want.

Will they have weed at AI?

and AI came to my highschool, and they had a nice long chat with me.

Edited by jjjo
I went to the Art Institute. Go ahead and discredit me all you want.

:happy: High end. Lulz.

Your thinking is sound, golden ratio alone doesn't make for a good design but it never hurts.

In case you're curious.

ACCD '06 here. I've also come to a point where I don't assume anything about AI. I recently met a designer I respect that came out of AI and it has changed the way I look at the school(s). Did you finish or are you attending now?

Edited by Maeda
:happy: High end. Lulz.

Your thinking is sound, golden ratio alone doesn't make for a good design but it never hurts.

In case you're curious.

ACCD '06 here. I've also come to a point where I don't assume anything about AI. I recently met a designer I respect that came out of AI and it has changed the way I look at the school(s). Did you finish or are you attending now?

Just got back from a deployment, Come spring I'll have a few quarters to go.

Yes there is weed there.

I'm saying just that; don't follow rules.

I am not dissing peoples aquascapes either, most of these are exceptional. Just don't preach a "rule", claim to follow the "rule", then botch the "rule".

### the rule. Use your head.

Will you be my best friend?

Yes there is weed there.

do you take advantage of that fact? you will be able to make the greatest aquascape of all time if you do.