Pod Your Reef

What's the best nano aquascape you've ever seen

ReefDreamz

Enyo, your feelings on the golden section bother me.

All design elements are influenced by the golden section greatly in the form of contrast. Light to dark, simple vs complex; the golden section applies here too.

You may already know that (for the benefit of everyone here), the golden section is not just ONE sequence, it is in fact a complete system of proportions or ratios. Many many many (infinite in fact) layouts can be achieved through its usage.

golden-ratio-spiral.jpg

Now lay that on itself a few zillion times...

4889102905_90b64c1cb5_z.jpg

and further...

ilgrid-974px-12.jpg

and this is just in two-dimensional space...

when applied to three dimensions...

dzn_Chapel-by-hanrahanMeyers-5.jpg

It's not the only rule in the kit, but it's one of the major ones, and designing is really about following rules.

The rules are self imposed, yes, but they are rules none-the-less.

Designer's arn't artists. They are designers. We do not create, we design.

Edited by Maeda
Enyo, your feelings on the golden section bother me.

All design elements are influenced by the golden section greatly in the form of contrast. Light to dark, simple vs complex; the golden section applies here too.

You may already know that (for the benefit of everyone here), the golden section is not just ONE sequence, it is in fact a complete system of proportions or ratios. Many many many (infinite in fact) layouts can be achieved through its usage.

golden-ratio-spiral.jpg

Now lay that on itself a few zillion times...

4889102905_90b64c1cb5_z.jpg

and further...

ilgrid-974px-12.jpg

and this is just in two-dimensional space...

when applied to three dimensions...

dzn_Chapel-by-hanrahanMeyers-5.jpg

WTF did you just prove?

WTF did you just prove?

he proves hes high as a kite, and musta been "stumbleupon" firefox and ran into some cool graphs. he then proceeded to come to NR, and post away :)

I'm educating here. Shush.

I'm proving that the golden section is actually very very deep and should not be discounted... ever.

In fact most of the tanks in this thread are built on this principle.

Edited by Maeda

The golden ratio is a COOL concept, don't get me wrong. I just don't think it's to be used as a staple in design. The reason it's brought up so much is because great minds in the past have always been perplexed and inspired by it. This is not to be confused with swearing by it and overlaying a Fibonacci spiral on top of a picture of your aquascape and calling it sliced bread.

For instance, painters or sculptors have been known to occasionally use the ratio in the proportions of the muscles and body. They didnt make a sculpture of a Fibonacci spiral, nor does the work RESEMBLE anything "golden ratio". It simply looks like the subject matter, but they were INSPIRED by it and integrated it in a manner that is inconceivable.

Edited by Enyo
  • Like 1

Actually, many of the old masters laid down the grid and drew into it.

Like... you know.. when da vinci painted the last supper. They were in fact HIGHLY aware of its prescence and utilized it every chance they got, and it happens with such frequency, and more importantly accuracy, its not happen stance. The figures are posed, and adjusted and even many times distorted to fit these grids.

The Mona Lisa?

Pieta?

David!?

They were so obsessed that theres an entire movement inspired by them to return to the roots they put down and the golden section is one of their major tenements (neo-classicism, ingres).

Many great great designers literally overlay their designs on the grid, many even start with the grid and work off of it. (Massimo Vignelli )

In music they do the same thing with the golden section as well ( Debussy ) to tune instruments and arrange composition.

C'mon man.

What are they teaching you over there?

EDIT: I found some credible evidence.

http://www.plosone.org/article/fetchArticl...al.pone.0001201

Edited by Maeda
  • Like 1

Like... you know.. when da vinci painted the last supper.

Many great great designers literally overlay their designs on the grid, many even start with the grid and work off of it.

Yes, but I would consider the golden ratio in the last supper an inspiration. He wielded it in ways most, if not all, will never understand. It is integrated in a THOUGHTFUL way, and he was a large proponent in discovering it's mysteries.

You are really grasping at straws, and throwing us on a tangent. We are comparing da vinci's GENIUS last supper to "following a rule because people say its gud".

They taught us to not cut and paste, especially if we dont understand.

• Like 1

Like... you know.. when da vinci painted the last supper. They were in fact HIGHLY aware of its prescence and utilized it every chance they got, and it happens with such frequency, and more importantly accuracy, its not happen stance. The figures are posed, and adjusted and even many times distorted to fit these grids.

The Mona Lisa?

Pieta?

David!?

They were so obsessed that theres an entire movement inspired by them to return to the roots they put down and the golden section is one of their major tenements (neo-classicism, ingres).

Many great great designers literally overlay their designs on the grid, many even start with the grid and work off of it. (Massimo Vignelli )

In music they do the same thing with the golden section as well ( Debussy ) to tune instruments and arrange composition.

C'mon man.

EDIT: I found some credible evidence.

http://www.plosone.org/article/fetchArticl...al.pone.0001201

I think you are confusing said genius' motives in using the golden ratio as well. Most used it in experimentations and to discover new techniques, and they never STRICTLY abode by it in ALL of their work. Like I said, we will never truly understand what was going through their minds.

You say it's deep, but you are failing to understand another dimension of what i'm saying AND of the subject.

How can you wield a concept without understanding it? Why did genius' use it? Do you think artists that have used the golden ratio in the past abandoned all other elements of design?

The truth is, it is impossible to prove such a thing and the "credible evidence" is inconclusive.

Air Jordans don't make you jump like Jordan,

and the golden ratio wont turn your work into a masterpiece.

Edited by Enyo

I wouldn't say that I go out of my way to follow the golden rule to a T but as a designer, my aquascapes always seem to follow the rules subconsciously. Must be an occupational hazard.

picospiral1.jpg

picospiral2.jpg

maxspiral.jpg

im sorry. I see two things when you overlay your FTS and the "golden rule"

1. Jack

And

2. sh*t

WTF are you proving by doing that? maybe i just don't see it.

• Like 1
ThatCollegeReefer

Laughing a lot. Mostly cuz I don't get it. Or why anyone really cares. Its scaping. If 1:1.6 looks good, why lay out a grid when you could just make it look good. KISS is my rule.

• Like 1