Innovative Marine Aquariums

my pico methodology contest build

reef2.5

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
thesmallerthebetter
So I ordered more lights you think that it will be too much or that I won't have a prob. For sps frags cause that's a lot of light all though it has a pot. To adjust the power. Pics to fallow soon

i dont think it will be too much light, especially with adjustable power. :)

So how's this for an idea, to make daily water changes less painfull I'm giong to install a drain valve. Ill post some picks as soon as its finished later tonight

ok i got updates. so i installed a drian valve so i dont have to syphon water every day yay. i got two more led lights in the mail today and rebuilt the lights, hopefully now ill have a nice blend of color. now i have to wait to get a refractometer, temp. gauge, and a test kit then the good stuff cant wait. heres the latest pics

post-47792-1265093778_thumb.jpg

post-47792-1265093786_thumb.jpg

thesmallerthebetter
ok i got updates. so i installed a drian valve so i dont have to syphon water every day yay. i got two more led lights in the mail today and rebuilt the lights, hopefully now ill have a nice blend of color. now i have to wait to get a refractometer, temp. gauge, and a test kit then the good stuff cant wait. heres the latest pics

LOVIN it :)

i think we needs pics with water and lights on :)

just looked back ar some of the pics.

what are you using as a heat sink for the LEDs? just that sheet of aluminum? maybe a fan/larger heat sink is in order? how many milli amps are you driving the LEDs with?

LOVIN it :)

i think we needs pics with water and lights on :)

just looked back ar some of the pics.

what are you using as a heat sink for the LEDs? just that sheet of aluminum? maybe a fan/larger heat sink is in order? how many milli amps are you driving the LEDs with?

the advice i got was that it shouldnt be that hot but i havent tested it yet, but yes its just the aluminum plate unless i need more. i got a 12v 500ma power supply at radio shack. but the buck puck i have has a pot. on it so i can adjust the power they are getting

tomorrow ill fill it up with freshwater to test out the light temp and the drain line to make sure it sealed. oh and ill take a pic with the lights on

thesmallerthebetter
the advice i got was that it shouldnt be that hot but i havent tested it yet, but yes its just the aluminum plate unless i need more. i got a 12v 500ma power supply at radio shack. but the buck puck i have has a pot. on it so i can adjust the power they are getting

tomorrow ill fill it up with freshwater to test out the light temp and the drain line to make sure it sealed. oh and ill take a pic with the lights on

ok great. heat shudnt be too bad if theyre drivin at 500ma. :)

cant wait for pics :)

ok filled with water its only freshwater right now just to make sure it runnin right so far. the drain valve was cracked out of the box but it will work great once replaced. so i cant start it up yet because i dont have a tool to measure spec. grav. what do you guys use please keep in mind the size of my tank as its only three inches deep.

post-47792-1265167231_thumb.jpg

thesmallerthebetter
ok filled with water its only freshwater right now just to make sure it runnin right so far. the drain valve was cracked out of the box but it will work great once replaced. so i cant start it up yet because i dont have a tool to measure spec. grav. what do you guys use please keep in mind the size of my tank as its only three inches deep.

i use a cheapo hydrometer, i just fill it with drained water and water change water to test the salinity. a refractometer would probably be loads better tho

i use a cheapo hydrometer, i just fill it with drained water and water change water to test the salinity. a refractometer would probably be loads better tho

ya thats what i had pictured useing the water change water. its probably what ill do tell i can buy a refractometer thanks totally diggin your set up when you going to stock it

thesmallerthebetter
ya thats what i had pictured useing the water change water. its probably what ill do tell i can buy a refractometer thanks totally diggin your set up when you going to stock it

happy to help :)

i cant stock until i build my super secret pumpy thingy for it :P but soon. just havta work out some kinks in the design plan and order parts....

happy to help :)

i cant stock until i build my super secret pumpy thingy for it :P but soon. just havta work out some kinks in the design plan and order parts....

are you adding more water volume or what just a little sneak peak or anything.

and did you end up useing that flex heat tape stuff if so hows that going

thesmallerthebetter
are you adding more water volume or what just a little sneak peak or anything.

and did you end up useing that flex heat tape stuff if so hows that going

nope, no added water volume :P i decided there was nothing out there that was small enough to provide me the water movement i need, so im building a circulation device from scratch.

i am using the heat tape, i just havnt got around to wiring everything up.but once i have it all rigged up ill let you know how it does :)

ive been a little slow on this build seeing as how im also starting up a 75 FOWLR, my fluval edge non-photosynthetic reef, and chasing after humbolt squid on a nightly basis here in so cal :)

ok so im up and running finally now the hard part WAITING and WAITING.

and its new home right next to my bed

and in the third pic you can see the black tube coming off of my pet bottle "ATO"

post-47792-1265514019_thumb.jpg

post-47792-1265514168_thumb.jpg

post-47792-1265514224_thumb.jpg

thesmallerthebetter
ok so im up and running finally now the hard part WAITING and WAITING.

and its new home right next to my bed

and in the third pic you can see the black tube coming off of my pet bottle "ATO"

LOOKIN GOOD :lol:

i need to get rock in mine :P

Ok so time for an update day two I figured out that the ato wasn't working right so fixed that now my spec. Grav. Is holding at 1.024 for four days straight now. Day four I sprung a leak lucky for me it was right in the top corner so I only had to drain my tank part way but now has to sit for 24 hours for silicone to cure. Is this going to stop my tank from cycling as my pump and lights need to be off for the 24 hours?

you need to keep some form of circulation and surface agitation so you keep the oxygen levels up in the water. It would suck to crash you cycle back to the starting point.

If you have a small air pump you can just run a air line into the tank and let it bubble straight from the end of the tube. This will give you limited circulation and some surface agitation and should hold you over for 24 hours.

Ok back up and running did some tests and every thing is right where it was yesterday yippee no crashing. But to be safe ill be setting up an emergency life support kit and back to waiting and waiting

thesmallerthebetter

i wouldnt worry about starting up a cycle, everything happens so fast in these tiny tanks so itll probably cycle in 30 minutes haha. well, not quite that fast but super fast

Kewl pic with the dime. Will have to take a pic of my tank with a dime in the same position so I can get a good comparison.

thats a bummer about all your troubles but at least its all god

cant wait to see your pic with a dime maybe it will help me think that im not the only crazy with a tiny tank

Archived