Pod Your Reef

my pico methodology contest build

reef2.5

One thing to consider: The rules state that after Aug 31st you can't add any livestock. It says nothing about removing or trimming back livestock.

In the Pico Lamp we are defiantly going to have to trim back the Kenya tree every few months. I figure on doing one big trimming to the entire tank just before the Aug pic and hopefully that will last for the next 5 months.

Sweet thats great info ill think about keeping it besides i think it might anger the sexy shrimp he's always hangin out in it

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How much would you estimate your tank was $$? Just for the acrylic and glue. And how did you bent the acrylic?

Well dont know if i want to think about ALL the dang costs of this tiny tank but i will.

the acrylic was in the scrap bin at tapplastics you might have one close to you if you live in a major city but it was only two dollars a pound so it was about one dollar. the bending of it is how i created this just messing around trying to get better at it to do a ten gallon project and then this happened. i used a butane torch to heat it right at the point i wanted it to curve but you have to be very careful cause you get just a little to hot and it blisters i went through a few pieces like that so buy scrap dont do it on a cutom cut you first try. also you want to have some sort of jig so that it cools at the right angle you want i used the edge of my desk.

if you ever sell this i want it badly lol i want one so bad!!!! this is awesome you should manufacture these and make some money off of them.

if you ever sell this i want it badly lol i want one so bad!!!! this is awesome you should manufacture these and make some money off of them.

i you had a small pump you wanted to use i would be down to build one around that. but i got to say its alot of work and still has its flaws summer is coming and the tank is warming up so i have to install a tiny fan that i have built so fair warning pm me if your serious.

• 3 weeks later...

Ya ive felt a little bad for him this whole time so i have something in the works that will fit him much better

Sexy shrimp is HUUUUGE!!!!! omgomgomg

Ok so I can't wait any longer last weekend I built an upgrade tank its about 1.5 gallons still need to install the lights and then the switch over happens. Its going to be awesome

Well the tank looks awesome, but can you switch tanks like that midstream? :huh:

Thank you, and yes as long as its before aug. 31st you can change anything including the tank

all right a couple more pics and then the long wait tell next pay day

MayFTSwithH2Oandlights.jpg

full of H2O and lights

backveiw.jpg

Back chambers

are you gonna create the shallow +dropoff look in that pico?

i hope so thats my plan just need to find the perfect rocks

i bet its gonna look sweet :)

just make sure you pick small corals so the whole scene looks as large as possible. this tank+idea has huge potential for illusion :P

So driving home from work today a new SW shop was open right down the street and guess what its called NANO REEF that's why it caught my eye he has all kinds of tiny little fish and critters I thought that was pretty neat to do just the "nano" size critters.

And I can't wait to get it up and going as well !!!

thesmallerthebetter

AWWW!!! u ditched the .25?!!?!!

j/k :) the new tank is rockin!!!!! cant wait to see that sucker running!

SO SWEET. If I were you I would probably buy a lot of rubble/small pieces and glue them together to make just the right shape.

I know i kind of punked out on the 1/4 gal. but its just so little i just need a bit more elbow room. but i proved to myself and anyone who thinks that its just wierd to do something this small that it can be done and thrive and grow cant wait to see thesmallerthebetter tank start developing. plus i really dig this drop off look and i like making tanks

as far as the rock goes hoping to find a couple of "large" peices and use a masonary saw two cut it flat on the backside so it fits perfect but we'll see how that works out

• 2 weeks later...

Archived