Cultivated Reef

my pico methodology contest build

reef2.5

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
thats a bummer about all your troubles but at least its all god

cant wait to see your pic with a dime maybe it will help me think that im not the only crazy with a tiny tank

Nah your not crazy my DT volume is only 1 gallon -- a bit bigger then yours but not by much in the grand scheme of things.

this is the heater element ive come up with after all my research the thermstat is alittle more difficult though that will come later

Come give up on the details as I have the thermostat in the RKL system.

Come give up on the details as I have the thermostat in the RKL system.

i was going to make a simple thermostat curcuit but i think ill just wait until i can get all the stuff to run the Arduino it does so much more

its been a while since ive had a sw tank going but last night i shinned a flashlight after the lights went out and there was little 'pods running all over and one like a nudibranch itty bitty guy maybe a 1/4" long with fleshy lobes all down its back hope its not a bad thing every thing else is pretty easy so far but its only getting started.

what is this guy?! his body is maybe 1/8" across legs are like1/2" hes not bad is he? i raided my aunts 55 gal. she has hundreds of these in her tank i also got some green star polyps and a tiny tree coral frag but that one will likley be replaced with sps after a while.

post-47792-1266387859_thumb.jpg

came home today from work and saw this guy any body know what it is maybe 1/4 inch long or a little smaller

Looks like a type of zoa eating nudi. Maybe that's why your zoas look pissed in the background there. If you can still see him check here for a good ID. I'm pretty sure its a harmful one though so I'd take it out.

http://www.zoaid.com/index.php?module=Gall...p;g2_itemId=415

thesmallerthebetter

definelty a type of aeolid nudibranch. probably not a freind in this case. even if it was harmless it would be almost impossible to keep alive as they are ussually HIGHLY specalized feeders. ive kept 15-16 types from my local california waters, but only beceause i was able to harvest food for them on a regular basis.

just got home from my local LFS picked up another small nice peice of rock, a tiny frag of purple monti and two bummble bee snails. after every thing is in and happy ill take some pics

ok m y march fts

left to right purple monti kenya tree coral "prob. replacing it with some type of SPS" Small multi color zoa colony, also there is one nerite snail one blue leg hermit one zebra hermit " who is to big and clummsy so hes going back to the shop" and two bumble bee snails " there not cleaning very well so going to replace with one more nerite"

Any thoughts on what type of SPS ???

MarchFTS-1.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Dang, just woke up to a power outage and I don't have a batt. Powered air pump I hope it doesn't last to long... wish me luck.

fingerscrossed

very :scarry: in a pico. Hopefully it won't last long.

Pen Plex Silent Air B11 (battery powered) is the way to go. Hook it up and plug it in. It stays off and only comes on when it senses a power outage. That way your covered even if your not at home.

• 2 weeks later...

not my april fts yet but maybe just wanted to share. i also caught a micro brittle running around rare sight for me.the tube next to the brittle star is 3/8" inch just give you an idea of size.

IMG_1429-1.jpg

IMG_1426-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
VERY COOL!!!

Thanks. Its a lot of work but I'm very happy with how its turned out. Can't wait to see what it looks like at the end of the contest.

Still need to swap the tree coral out for something that won't over grow in the short time frame any advice anyone???

Still need to swap the tree coral out for something that won't over grow in the short time frame any advice anyone???

One thing to consider: The rules state that after Aug 31st you can't add any livestock. It says nothing about removing or trimming back livestock.

In the Pico Lamp we are defiantly going to have to trim back the Kenya tree every few months. I figure on doing one big trimming to the entire tank just before the Aug pic and hopefully that will last for the next 5 months.

Archived