Innovative Marine Aquariums

Photo Journal - Urbanek's 28g Nano-Cube

urbaneks

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply
so what do you do with them after you frag them?

oh and you need some new pics

I have a neighbor that is getting into the hobby and he takes them.

There are a few new photos of my tank in the TOTM feature. I'll get some added to my thread soon.

ive got a 28 also, over flow to a 10g sump, still the quad pack light(which after reading and checking out yours might upgrade to a 20" light like that. maybe a halide pc combo, but i dont know if i can deal with that heat) Read that you clowns have picked a corner by a return, mine do that too, i thought they were lost.... how does the 20" compare to the quad pack? worth the $250?

• 2 weeks later...
It's been a while since I posted a FTS. This was one taken earlier today.

Dec10FTS.jpg

Full Tank Shot - Taken 12-10-10

Just browsed your thread, beautiful tank and I love the latest FTS...I'll be in touch next week to see about one of your media baskets

I honestly don't understand how you keep your tank so clean...

My maintenance schedule is lined out in my thread. There are not secrets here. Just stay consistent.

Hi I was wondering what brand of salt mix you are using. Also do you supplement your tank with any micro- or macroelements. What are your water parameters (Ca and alkalinity). You got a really nice tank going.

Hi I was wondering what brand of salt mix you are using. Also do you supplement your tank with any micro- or macroelements. What are your water parameters (Ca and alkalinity). You got a really nice tank going.

I buy my water premixed at my LFS which comes at 1.023. I had 1/4 cup of Instant Ocean to 6g of water to get my salinity up to 1.025.

Here is my dosing regiment that can be found at my tank of the month reef profile.

Dosing: Based on research, I started my tank believing that my weekly water changes would be adequate in keeping my trace elements where they needed to be. While this approach was successful early in my tank's life, it started to break down once I started adding stony corals. After extensive testing over several months I have settled into a regiment of dosing for calcium and alkalinity. For calcium, I use Sea-Lab #28 tabs and for alkalinity, I use Reef Pure Marine KH Buffer. For my tank, one Sea-Lab #28 every 3 days keeps my calcium at 425ppm and 1/4th tsp of marine buffer/day keeps my alkalinity at 3.5 meq/L. Again, this regiment is the result of testing and record keeping over the course of several months, don't assume that this regiment will work for you.

Thanks for the compliment on my tank.

hey brad do you find that 6 gallon water changes are to much? i though you were supposed to like 10% wtch would be like 3 gallons.

I have always done 6 gal changes without any issues. There are lots of schools of thoughts here but the one I believe in is that the larger percentage of water taken out the more percentage of waste that comes out and the more you replinish your trace elements. I actually will make a 12 gallon water change from time to time. I do this when I get trace phos readings and my phos lock is not working like it typically does.

ok cool tanks. oh and also do you ever test for strontium? i have the test kit but im not sure what level it should be at

Nope, never tested for it.

It's been a while since I posted a FTS. This was one taken earlier today.

Dec10FTS.jpg

Full Tank Shot - Taken 12-10-10

your bubble tip moved?! looking good... this latest shot seems to be more colorful than previous

EDIT: I see the original one now... did it split or did you get a new one? I would love one of those... my LFS never has

Man, your tank is absolutelly awesome!!! I have only one question. I don't see any clean up crew in the pictures, do you have a clean up crew? My snails are always bothering my corals and I am askin myself if I can take them back to the LFS, I don't see that they are cleaning so much.

your bubble tip moved?! looking good... this latest shot seems to be more colorful than previous

EDIT: I see the original one now... did it split or did you get a new one? I would love one of those... my LFS never has

Yes my rtba did split.

I would love to give you one of the rtba, getting them off of their rock is very difficult.

Man, your tank is absolutelly awesome!!! I have only one question. I don't see any clean up crew in the pictures, do you have a clean up crew? My snails are always bothering my corals and I am askin myself if I can take them back to the LFS, I don't see that they are cleaning so much.

I do have a cuc which consist of 10 hermit crabs, 4 nassirius snails and 4 other snails that I can't remember the name of. I would not trade my hermits in. They bring a lot of action to the tank. They can be a pain walking over corals but that does not bother me any more.

I have never taken any photos under just actinic lighting until today. I got a couple shots that I thought were worth posting on my thread.

ZoaPaly.jpg

Paly and Zoa Mix

yellowpolyps.jpg

Yellow Polyps Under Actinics

Your tank has to be one of the best I have ever seen ! Seeing your rose bubble tip made me go out and buy one for my tank he's a little small but everything ive read says it wont take to long to grow. Just curious how long you have had yours for ?

Your tank has to be one of the best I have ever seen ! Seeing your rose bubble tip made me go out and buy one for my tank he's a little small but everything ive read says it wont take to long to grow. Just curious how long you have had yours for ?

I've had mine for 8 months now. He has split once since then so I actually have two now. I'd like to trade the 2nd one in but I have not been able to get him off the rock he is on.

Thanks for the compliment on my tank.

Archived