Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Photo Journal - Urbanek's 28g Nano-Cube

urbaneks

I'm getting ready to do this in the upcoming week for the first time and I admit I'm not much looking forward to it.

A few q's:

1. Do you do this during a water change and do you drain the back "sump" area before trying to pull the pumps? How easy is the whole "loosen tubing", "twist out pump" processs? Any risk of damage to the tank or tubing?

2. Do the magnetic wheels screw off / pop off?

3. I still have the stock pumps and I guess this is the time to upgrade if I am going to. I have seen the MaxiJet 1100 listed many places (F+S) ... More than the 1200's. Do you know if they are comparable?

Many thanks. Your posts and tank are my benchmark of excellence!

Powerhead Maintenance Procedure

I had someone ask me about cleaning the powerheads so I thought I would post it here in case the info will help anyone else.

Materials needed to clean your powerheads

-- small bucket

-- tooth brush

-- small portion of an old algae pad

-- long piece of tubing that will fit down the larger tubing hooked to your powerheads

1) Unplug the powerhead

2) Slowly wiggle the 90 degree bend that connects to the tank returns until it is free from the tank

3) Using the power cord and the freed tubing, pull the powerhead out of the rear chamber

4) If the powerhead appears to be stuck, rotate it 1/4 turn and pull again, continue to rotate until it's free. (there is a small lip at the bottom of the chambers that the powerhead gets stuck on.

5) Place the powerhead and tubing in a bucket and take to a sink for cleaning.

6) Clean the tubing - Remove the tube from the powerhead and clean by sticking a small piece of algae cleaning pad in the tube. Use the smaller tubing to push the algae bad through the tubing and out the other side.

7) Clean the magnetic wheel - Remove the bottom of the power head and pull the magnetic wheel from the powerhead. Clean this unit with warm water and an algae pad.

8) Clean the housing where the magnetic wheel fits into. Use a small toothbrush to clean down inside of the powerhead.

9) Clean the rest of the powerhead - Use warm water and the algae pad to clean the rest of the powerhead.

10) Reassemble powerhead, tubing and connect back to tank. Plug back in and you are good.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CoopMD - See below for responses.

1. Do you do this during a water change and do you drain the back "sump" area before trying to pull the pumps? How easy is the whole "loosen tubing", "twist out pump" processs? Any risk of damage to the tank or tubing?

I do complete this task just before I start my water change. I will unplug one pump get it cleaned up while the other pump is still running. Once I finish the first pump, I reinstall it, get it running than pull the second pump. Removing the tubing is very easy. Grab the 90 that goes into the back of the tank and wiggle slowly until it comes loose from the back wall. Once that comes loose just pull the powerhead up while it's attached to the tubing. Very simple. The entire process including cleaning takes about 5 minutes per powerhead.

Once you get the powerhead out, you will see a housing on the bottom that rotates, rotate this until the tabs line up and it will pull away from the powerhead. This will bring the mag wheel out of the powerhead. Once you have it apart you will see how easy it is. You really can't mess this one up.

3. I still have the stock pumps and I guess this is the time to upgrade if I am going to. I have seen the MaxiJet 1100 listed many places (F+S) ... More than the 1200's. Do you know if they are comparable?

I don't know that the 1100s are rated at but if I remember right they are variable speed so you can turn them up or down. I think the max speed is less than the 1200s. I would just end up running the 1100s at max speed so the variable does nothing for me. The 1200s work great and from my research were the most flow you can fit in the rear chambers. They also attach to the stock tubing that came with your tank. Makes it a very easy upgrade.

Well .. I followed your instructions ... and it was very straight-forward.

Lots more power!

Thanks Brad!

CoopMD - See below for responses.

I do complete this task just before I start my water change. I will unplug one pump get it cleaned up while the other pump is still running. Once I finish the first pump, I reinstall it, get it running than pull the second pump. Removing the tubing is very easy. Grab the 90 that goes into the back of the tank and wiggle slowly until it comes loose from the back wall. Once that comes loose just pull the powerhead up while it's attached to the tubing. Very simple. The entire process including cleaning takes about 5 minutes per powerhead.

Once you get the powerhead out, you will see a housing on the bottom that rotates, rotate this until the tabs line up and it will pull away from the powerhead. This will bring the mag wheel out of the powerhead. Once you have it apart you will see how easy it is. You really can't mess this one up.

I don't know that the 1100s are rated at but if I remember right they are variable speed so you can turn them up or down. I think the max speed is less than the 1200s. I would just end up running the 1100s at max speed so the variable does nothing for me. The 1200s work great and from my research were the most flow you can fit in the rear chambers. They also attach to the stock tubing that came with your tank. Makes it a very easy upgrade.

Brad the tank looks AWESOME!!! From all the reading I did about your media basket I decided it would be the first thing I bought for my newly acquired 28g HQI. Thanks for the quick response and shipping on it!!!

I'm stepping down from my larger tank as it just got to be too much work that started me to loose interest in the hobby. Hopefully the new tank will be the answer to get me back on track.

Here is a quick shot of what I'm stepping down from.

75gtank.jpg

On your ATO: I assume the Aqua Lifter pump, rated for 30" of lift, has no problem lifting the water from the bottom of the cabinet to the edge of the rim? About 4.5 ft.

Brad the tank looks AWESOME!!! From all the reading I did about your media basket I decided it would be the first thing I bought for my newly acquired 28g HQI. Thanks for the quick response and shipping on it!!!

I'm stepping down from my larger tank as it just got to be too much work that started me to loose interest in the hobby. Hopefully the new tank will be the answer to get me back on track.

It's too bad you decided to take a step away from your bigger tank. That was a very nice looking display. Best of luck on the new setup. I think you will really like the Nano Cube. It's been a great tank for me.

On your ATO: I assume the Aqua Lifter pump, rated for 30" of lift, has no problem lifting the water from the bottom of the cabinet to the edge of the rim? About 4.5 ft.

It has not had any issues lifting the water the extra height. From time to time one of the float sensors will glitch but no issues on the lifter pump. Good luck with the ATO setup.

I\'ve had a couple people PM me about my ATO setup. Here is a photo along with a description of how it\'s setup.

Top Picture

The ATO sensor is what reads the water level in the tank. Once the float on the sensor drops, it sends the signal to the ATO which then turns on the pump and water is dispensed to the tank until the float sensor returns to the top. I have the ATO dispense line running through the stock hole that is on the rim of the JBJ 28g tanks. Make sure that you keep the dispense line above the water line in the tank. If you don\'t you run the risk of starting a back siphon that could drain water from your tank down to your reservoir.

Where did you get the stiff tubing that fits into the 1/4" flex?

Brad: I know at some point you slightly re-located your tank (in the same room if I recall).

What steps did you take to make the move?

I would like to turn mine 45 deg, but I don't want to have to remove rock, or risk a rock collapse.

Any guidance / experience would be appreciated.

Brad: I know at some point you slightly re-located your tank (in the same room if I recall).

What steps did you take to make the move?

I would like to turn mine 45 deg, but I don't want to have to remove rock, or risk a rock collapse.

Any guidance / experience would be appreciated.

Not sure what you recall but I have not moved my tank. If I were to move it, I would do it in conjunction with a water change, then I would drain the keepable water into buckets, put the rock and coral in the buckets then move the tank with only sand in it. Just my opinion.

..... I would like to turn mine 45 deg, but I don't want to have to remove rock, or risk a rock collapse. Any guidance / experience would be appreciated.

CoopMD - I recall seeing more than a few instructional threads re: moving a tank - both here on N-R and other forums. I'll see what I can scout down...

davidr2340
CoopMD - I recall seeing more than a few instructional threads re: moving a tank - both here on N-R and other forums. I'll see what I can scout down...

LINK.

B)

I must join in and tell you what an incredible job you have done on your tank. However, I think the biggest thing you should be commended on is your willingness to share your experiences with everyone and your willingness to take the time to respond and answer the numerous questions people have for you. While the pictures of your tank are awesome, the real gem in this thread is the wealth of information you provide.

• 2 weeks later...
I must join in and tell you what an incredible job you have done on your tank. However, I think the biggest thing you should be commended on is your willingness to share your experiences with everyone and your willingness to take the time to respond and answer the numerous questions people have for you. While the pictures of your tank are awesome, the real gem in this thread is the wealth of information you provide.

Agree wholeheartedly! Even though I have a slightly different tank I'm basing so much of my planning based on this tank it's not even funny. Good stuff!

Brad i was wondering about the stock black foam that came in the back chambers. Do you still have this installed? I guess it would be in chamber two on both sides in my 28.

Thanks

Netflex

shaqdan - Thanks for the positive comments. I really enjoy all aspects of the hobby which includes sharing knowledge back and forth. For every post here on my thread I get two PM's with questions. I like to reassure folks that they are not bugging me one bit. I also like to remind folks that it's just my opinion, I think there are a million ways to keep a reef tank so find things that have worked for others and try to emulate it.

Agree wholeheartedly! Even though I have a slightly different tank I'm basing so much of my planning based on this tank it's not even funny. Good stuff!

RedStang - Thanks, that is the best compliment I can get.

Brad i was wondering about the stock black foam that came in the back chambers. Do you still have this installed? I guess it would be in chamber two on both sides in my 28.

I removed the sponges the first day I got the tank and I recommend you do the same. They are a pain in the butt to get in and out and become a place for detritus to get trapped and then become a source of Nitrates. The filter floss in the media basket is all you need and it's much easier to clean/swap.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hes got a 120 and has his thread on RC. BEAUTIFULLY done I might add! He hasnt posted over there either for a long time...hope hes ok

• 3 months later...
Hey Brad,

How's the tank? Lets see an update!

4 months and no urbaneks... Are you OK?

Ya i miss the updates on this tank. It was very inspiring

I thought he was upgrading?

Is he? Does he have a new thread?

IIRC, and I may not, it wasn't a nano.

Hes got a 120 and has his thread on RC. BEAUTIFULLY done I might add! He hasnt posted over there either for a long time...hope hes ok

Hey guys, sorry for the lack of posts to the Nano Cube thread. Unfortuantely, all of the pics for this thread were stored on my cox web space which they got rid of. It's a real bummer that my pics are gone. Here is a nice photo for old time sakes. This was when the nano was at 16 months.

Nano.jpg

I just recently added my new tank here on Nano Reef. You can check it out by clicking my signature. Please come visit me in the new journal. As Chris Hays mentioned, I've been over on RC which I find great for info but people are much friendlier here on NR. Here is a shot of my new project.

JanFTS.jpg

Archived