ReefCleaners.org

Photo Journal - Urbanek's 28g Nano-Cube

urbaneks

love your tank/set up. i just bought the same ATO set up you have. the only problem is that my aqualifter pump is not lifting the water up to my JBJ back chamber(just like yours) did u do something to pump to make it work? or is my pump defective you think?

JCS - When I first set mine up, I did have an issue with the pump lifting the water the height of the tank. I was able to fix the issue by moving the pump to the 2nd shelf in the stand. The higher you can locate the lifter pump the easier time it has pushing the water. I hope this helps!

Stunning photos and a thought out and beautiful tank!!! I have something to aim for...

28 gal JBJ nano LED started 10 weeks ago; ordering first fish and coral today probably... from DD.

Michele - Thanks for the view and comment. Best of luck with your tank as you begin to stock it. I'll keep an eye out for your tank thread here on NanoReef.com. Look forward to seeing how the LED's do.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Would a Pygmy angel work? or not?

There are alot of differnt pygmy angels and not all of them will make good choices for your nano. The two pygmy's that are good matches are the flameback and the cherubs.

There has been a lot of talk lately about Signature Tags. It motivated me to create a new one for my tank thread. Below are the 3 that I've had (in order) since joining Nano-Reef.com

signature.jpg

signature2.jpg

signature3.jpg

your new sig looks good.. thanks for the reply on the ATO but i have more more question.. i placed the pump on the second shelf and its pumping a lil better but i still notice that the water hesitates to come up at times(as if it gets stuck).. does yours do the same or is yours on the ball on the time? im just trying to see if i got a defective pump or is this normal

your new sig looks good.. thanks for the reply on the ATO but i have more more question.. i placed the pump on the second shelf and its pumping a lil better but i still notice that the water hesitates to come up at times(as if it gets stuck).. does yours do the same or is yours on the ball on the time? im just trying to see if i got a defective pump or is this normal

It sounds like your pump is bad. Mine does not do what you are describing.

looks great! the nem doest/hasnt stung anything in your tank? i see it has moved a few times in the pics

The Nem actually split once, if you look in a couple photos you will see 2 of them. I sold one of them so I'm back to one. I was lucky for the first few months where my Nem stayed put but after the split they wandered to new locations. The latest photo shows the Nem right up front, he's been in that location now for 2 months. They do bother other corals so I've had to rearrange some things to accomodate the move. The yellow polyps don't seem to be phased by it, it opens up on top of them every day and they are still fine so i think it's coral dependent. With all of that said, if I were to do it over again, I would not add a Nem. I got it for the clowns and they don't go in it.

Tank%20Evolution.jpg

Larger images of these photos can be seen just above this post.

What are you doing with your tank to get your corals to grow like that. My growth in my JBJ24 is not even in the same realm? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

What are you doing with your tank to get your corals to grow like that. My growth in my JBJ24 is not even in the same realm? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I religiously follow the maintenance schedule that is listed out in detail here on my tank thread. I would say that my weekly water changes are the biggest key to success. I know I'm in the minority here but I don't run a skimmer. I feed my fish daily. If you have any specific questions, I'd love to answer them. Also, if you can point me to your tank thread I'd be happy to provide my input. Thanks for looking.

Urbaneks - the new tank shots look amazing. I still look to yours as the one that got me into this addiction in the first place. B)

Comments like this make all the work going into the tank worth it! Thank You Gort

.. I know I'm in the minority here but I don't run a skimmer. I feed my fish daily.

Absolutely nobody can argue with your results. I turned on the Solana's skimmer yesterday as a test - regretting that experiment. I know they take a while to "break in" but all it did was "crud up" the tank. It's off again now and I'll keep it that way til I see an actual need to run one.

Absolutely nobody can argue with your results. I turned on the Solana's skimmer yesterday as a test - regretting that experiment. I know they take a while to "break in" but all it did was "crud up" the tank. It's off again now and I'll keep it that way til I see an actual need to run one.

Again, Gort, thanks for the kind words. Good luck with the skimmer if you decide to go that way.

...Good luck with the skimmer if you decide to go that way.

The micro-bubbles from the skimmer test and the suspended debris that appeared after the weekend 9-gallon water change has finally cleared. The pre-change water parameters indicated the tank is nearing the end of the cycle.

I noticed yesterday as I was cleaning the glass with the mag float that the scrubber passed near the sand-bed; the resulting backwash stirred up a lot of detritus. I've also been using the turkey baster to "blow" the detritus off the rockscape. My choices seem to be:

• Get that stuff suspended in the water again for filtration - I've added a second layer of filter pad plus the carbon media bags to the chamber. The stock bioballs are still in there also - I've ordered a media rack from inTank.
  • Try to vacuum the sandbed during the next water change
  • See how much crud a CUC can get rid of - I plan to add some this week

Would you have any other suggestions?

Your RTBA is pretty close to lots of other non-aggressive corals. Does it sting them?

My RTBA is pretty close to several corals. I actually had to rearrange a few things to accommodate his current location. The only thing that it is actually touching is some of the yellow polyps. They do not seem phased by it. I've had other corals that are bothered by it which is why they've been moved. If you are thinking about getting one, they do add a lot of color but you have to be committed to work around them. I've stated it before, if I had to do it over again, I wouldn't. Thanks for the view and comment here on my journal.

Archived