Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Photo Journal - Urbanek's 28g Nano-Cube

urbaneks

Speaking of the which, what do you feed your Rose, Urb?

TK, I feed mine a combination of mysis and silverside. When I do feed silver side, i have to cut it into 1/2 pieces or he spits them out. I would say on average i feed it twice a week, once mysis and once with silverside.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Telekinesis
TK, I feed mine a combination of mysis and silverside. When I do feed silver side, i have to cut it into 1/2 pieces or he spits them out. I would say on average i feed it twice a week, once mysis and once with silverside.

Thanks. The reason why I asked is that mine started to lose color when I slacked off on target-feeding. I'm back on track with it now and there really is a huge difference, in my experience. I've heard people claim that they have one thriving without being fed, but this certainly isn't the case with the one I have in my tank. Maybe it just has a big appetite, not sure. They're strange creatures. Regular silverside/mysis feedings really keep mine colored up (brings the deep-red out) and appears to have an effect on the overall appearance as well, protruding out more and just looking healthier in general.

I've read that the red pigment is directly related to the amount of light they do or don't receive and not a lack of zooxanthellae, so it could be darkening up due to my new lighting as well. It definitely looks better, that's all I really know.

You should make a thread that gives photography tips... i would love to get some tips from you =)

looks great! as always!

You should make a thread that gives photography tips... i would love to get some tips from you =)

looks great! as always!

There is actaully a really nice one on here already. You can check it out here. In a nut shell, here are the tips I think are most important.

1. Turn your pumps off

2. Use a tripod or other support to keep the camera from moving.

3. Raise the ISO setting up on your camera to 400

4. If your camera has a manual mode, use it.

5. Set your aperture around 11, then set a shutter speed that gives you the exposure you want

.. here are the tips I think are most important.

1. Turn your pumps off

5. Set your aperture around 11, then set a shutter speed that gives you the exposure you want

Thanks Urbaneks - as a lifelong point & shoot guy, I'm having fun exploring all the settings & modes on my Canon that I never realized I had!!

Urbaneks - the new tank shots look amazing. I still look to yours as the one that got me into this addiction in the first place. B)

Ditto. I was all set to duplicate Urbanek's setup but couldn't pass up a used BC29 for $75. Great shape too. Still plan on copying as much as I can though. Especially the maintenance schedule.

Besides setting the bar high, Urbaneks has been a great resource - a very helpful guy. Now that my cycle is completing, I'll begin stocking with the goal of having a tank even half as cool as that one.

There is actaully a really nice one on here already. You can check it out here. In a nut shell, here are the tips I think are most important.

1. Turn your pumps off

You Rock!

Thanks

Thanks Urbaneks - as a lifelong point & shoot guy, I'm having fun exploring all the settings & modes on my Canon that I never realized I had!!

It is quite amazing what can be done with the little hand held cameras. Most of them these days are full featured. Still they can't beat a nice SLR.

Ditto. I was all set to duplicate Urbanek's setup but couldn't pass up a used BC29 for $75. Great shape too. Still plan on copying as much as I can though. Especially the maintenance schedule.

RedStang - Thanks for the compliment. You can definitely make a great tank out of the BC. Also, just think how much coral you can buy with all the money you saved.

Besides setting the bar high, Urbaneks has been a great resource - a very helpful guy. Now that my cycle is completing, I'll begin stocking with the goal of having a tank even half as cool as that one.

Gort - Thanks for the recognition here. It's been rewarding helping you through email and see your tank go from a plan to an actual tank with water in it. Thanks for allowing me to be a part of your startup.

You Rock!

Thanks

Ezsharkman - Thanks!!! Hope it leads to better photos.

Gort - Thanks for the recognition here. It's been rewarding helping you through email and see your tank go from a plan to an actual tank with water in it. Thanks for allowing me to be a part of your startup...

Urbaneks -The pleasure & enjoyment has been mine so far. I appreciate both your patience and guidance. Now the real "fun" begins - I hope you can handle a few more questions along the way.

Based on quite a few posts I have seen here and there; you could probably teach a class in "Keeping RBTA in a Nano Tank". B)

Just bot a 6-line wrasse. Have you had any issues with him jumping out of the tank? I have read a few stories of wrasses jumping!

Just bot a 6-line wrasse. Have you had any issues with him jumping out of the tank? I have read a few stories of wrasses jumping!

No jumping! I've had my wrasse for a year now without any issues.

Brad

One of my Monti Cap's has been growing like crazy over the last couple of months. Here are 3 shots of the same coral over the 11 months.

LiveStockGroup2SixLineWrasse.jpg?t=1299990772

April 2010

Group4PurpleRimMonti.jpg?t=1299990982

November 2010

Top.jpg?t=1299991048

March 2011

Your page layout is awesome. Your tank (and photos) are so crisp. What is your secret to maintaining the bubbles on your bubbletip?

Lastly I like your name ;)

Your page layout is awesome. Your tank (and photos) are so crisp. What is your secret to maintaining the bubbles on your bubbletip?

Lastly I like your name ;)

Thanks for the view and comment. I wish I could give you some special secret I have for my RTBA but I really don't do anything special. It gets fed 2x per week with mysis and silverside but that is about it.

Your tank is inspirational. I am just starting out with the same tank and am struggling to layout my LR. Did you chisel your rock to fit a specific design in your mind or did you just play with it until you found a layout you liked? I especially like your cave and all the levels. How far back is the cave and does it have an exit on the sides?

Your tank is inspirational. I am just starting out with the same tank and am struggling to layout my LR. Did you chisel your rock to fit a specific design in your mind or did you just play with it until you found a layout you liked? I especially like your cave and all the levels. How far back is the cave and does it have an exit on the sides?

Thanks for the comment. I bought my live rock knowing approximately what I wanted for my structure. I did not chisel any rocks and the rocks are not held together by anything. I just worked them around until I found a combo that I liked and that was sturdy.

The cave goes all the back to the back wall and there are exits on both sides as well as front and back.

How did you mount your monti plates? Is it just glued to a plug?

I used aqua mend putty to stick the caps to my live rock. I don't have any frag plugs in my tank.

Thanks for the comment. I bought my live rock knowing approximately what I wanted for my structure. I did not chisel any rocks and the rocks are not held together by anything. I just worked them around until I found a combo that I liked and that was sturdy.

The cave goes all the back to the back wall and there are exits on both sides as well as front and back.

I used aqua mend putty to stick the caps to my live rock. I don't have any frag plugs in my tank.

How do you remove plugs from frags?

• 2 weeks later...
How do you remove plugs from frags?

I try to buy corals that are stuck to rocks vs plugs. When I do get a coral on a plug, I just use a clipper ro cut as much of the plug away from the frag so that I can adhere it to my rock work.

I try to buy corals that are stuck to rocks vs plugs. When I do get a coral on a plug, I just use a clipper ro cut as much of the plug away from the frag so that I can adhere it to my rock work.

Urbaneks that is gonna be my mantra from now on. I'm already "against' frag plugs in the tank...

Urbaneks that is gonna be my mantra from now on. I'm already "against' frag plugs in the tank...

I took the advice. Use a vice and diamond dremmel tool to cut the really stuck ones down to size.

your light is 6 bulbs right? also, how is your angel doing? is it nipping at corals at all?

Yes, I run a Nova Extreme Pro which houses 6 T5 Bulbs. I currently run the stock bulbs which consist of 3 day bulbs and 3 actinic bulbs.

My Angel fish is great. He will nip on my Acans from time to time but does not bother any other corals. Still a very great fish. Always out and about, free swimmer, I'm glad that I have the fish.

Archived