SaltCritters.com

Photo Journal - Urbanek's 28g Nano-Cube

urbaneks

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would you say the Duncans are a good beginner coral?

DuncanPost.jpg

Duncan added this week. He's starting to look photogenic.

6.5 oz bags of ChemiPure Elite?

Media Basket Maintenance

I've had a few people ask me how I stock my media basket as well as how often I replace my media. Here is a brief summary along with a couple photos.

I stock my basket with filter floss on the top, chemi-pure elite in the middle and phoslock on the bottom. I replace my filter floss once per week, my phos lock once every 1.5 to 2 months and my chemi-pure every 3 months. See below for a look at my basket at the time of a media change.

Setup.JPG

Here is a shot of the top of my media basket right after I replaced my filter floss. I replace it every Thursday after my water change.

Thursday.JPG

Here is a shot of the top of my media basket half way through the week. This is what it looks like prior to me rinsing it. I rinse the floss every Monday.

Monday.JPG

Lighting upgrade ... How much light do you leave on at night? Do you have any moonlights?

My lighting schedule is as follows:

11am to 1pm - Actinic Only

1pm to 9pm - All Lights

9pm to 11pm - Actinic Only

I do have some after market moonlights that I will run from time to time but only when I'm wanting to see in the tank before or after lights out.

Would you say the Duncans are a good beginner coral?

Very easy care. They do need to be fed a couple times a week but other than that, very easy.

6.5 oz bags of ChemiPure Elite?

I use the 11 oz bags of chemipure elite.

Gosh. When I pit the big bag (even ghee 6.5 oz bag) in the middle basket, I get very slow circulation

My lighting schedule is as follows:

11am to 1pm - Actinic Only

1pm to 9pm - All Lights

9pm to 11pm - Actinic Only

I do have some after market moonlights that I will run from time to time but only when I'm wanting to see in the tank before or after lights out.

Very easy care. They do need to be fed a couple times a week but other than that, very easy.

I use the 11 oz bags of chemipure elite.

Love this. When I had I a Biocube I wanted it to look like this.

AJ_Tsin - Thanks for the comment. I love your tank as well. I've been keeping tabs on your thread. I'm in the build process on a large 112g shallow reef tank. It will be 48x30x18, just waiting for the tank to arrive, it should be here Feb 18th!!

Gosh. When I pit the big bag (even ghee 6.5 oz bag) in the middle basket, I get very slow circulation

Ok solved that by hanging the chemiPure from the middle egg crate layer.

Do you have any shots of your after market moon lights? What brand did u get?

Do you have any shots of your after market moon lights? What brand did u get?

I will get a pic posted soon. I bought an LED strip from a guy off of ebay for about $20 and mounted it on the back of my light using double sided tape. It's not the best but does the job for night viewing.

It's been a long while since I posted a full compliment of photos. I had some free time today and took the opportunity to shoot some photos of my tank. Thanks for looking.

Full Tank Shot - Feb 22nd, 2011

My tank has been up and running for 1 year and 4 months

2-22FTS.jpg

My new favorite photo!

I purchased the Acro a few days ago. This coral will end up in the new SPS tank.

The Monti Cap has never had great color but I love the shape and texture

Top.jpg

Here is a photo showing the middle right portion of my tank. These Army Green Paly's were purchased more than a year ago. I now have these same Paly's in 5 areas of my tank.

midright.jpg

This photo shows the lower half of my tank. It's difficult to see the cave behind the mushroom, this is the new retreat for my RTBA who decided to make the front of the tank it's new home. The cup coral in the bottom left was the first coral I ever purchased. Still love it! My 6 Line Wrasse "Dottie" can be seen coming in to the frame from the right.

lower%20half.jpg

The next 2 shots show my collection of Acans. As far as LPS go, Acans are my favorite. I love the colors that are available and what they offer the tank. These are the only corals that my Angel Fish pesters..

acans.jpg

acan2.jpg

This photo shows the middle region of my tank. I have never been able to get a good photo of my Blue Chalice but it is just an awesome coral. It is about 6x larger than when I first bought it. The birds nest is another great coral. My original frag, which can be seen in older photos, was about the size of the small piece under the chalice. I now have 3 very large pieces from that original frag which can be seen in the FTS.

middle.jpg

This photo shows the top half of my tank. You can see a bit more of the blue chalice, a couple of my ricordea mushrooms and my duncan. It's hard to see from the photo by my duncan colony is getting huge. Started with about 5 heads, I must have 20 now.

top%20half.jpg

These last 2 photos are a couple close up shots that I got, one of the RTBA and the other of the yellow polyps. The yellow polyps were originally a frag of 4 on a piece of rubble. You can see that they are quite happy.

Nem.jpg

yellow_polyps.jpg

Thanks again for checking out the new photos. Hope that you've enjoyed them.

urbaneks-

I see you are a professional photographer also!!!...sweeeet!

Not a photographer! A tripod goes along way!

omgomgomg still in luvvvvv

Thanks Mini Dude!

Do you have your water levels higher than the levels on the middle chamber where the water comes in?

My water level is about 1.5 inches from the bottom of the rim of the tank. This is definitely below the basket. If you look back on page 5 of my thread, I have some ATO photos that show the water level.

Still as clean and colorful as ever. Love this tank. This is what made me want an AIO. I hope to keep a tank as clean as yours. So far though, I seem to still have a bunch of little particles floating around. But I am going to strive for the meticulous cleanliness of your tank. :D

Still as clean and colorful as ever. Love this tank. This is what made me want an AIO. I hope to keep a tank as clean as yours. So far though, I seem to still have a bunch of little particles floating around. But I am going to strive for the meticulous cleanliness of your tank. :D

Rain - Thanks for the comment. I take pride in learning that my tank inspired you to want an AIO. As far as keeping a clean tank, it just takes consistent work. Couple minutes a day and an hour once a week should do the trick. Thanks again for the view and kind words.

As far as keeping a clean tank, it just takes consistent work. Couple minutes a day and an hour once a week should do the trick. Thanks again for the view and kind words.

so true, so true, I used to tell my customers that there's two ways to keep a SW tank....

love it enough to learn and DIY OR pay some one to do it! :D

Thom7667 - Thanks for the comments. I use an older Canon Rebel. I have a couple different lenses that I use. The key to better pics is to turn your pumps off when shooting, use a tripod and shoot in manual mode with longer exposure times.

d9hp - Thanks for the comments. I can't take credit on the RTBA as that's not the spot that I placed him. He stayed put for the first 6 months I had him but moved shortly after it split into 2. I've had to rearrange a couple things to accommodate his new home.

Love the new pictures! I just noticed you have an African Flameback. Your tank must have been on my mind when I picked mine up. Great fish as far as color and personality. He does nip at my acans from time to time, though. Not very often nor aggressive when he does this, so that's good.

The shots of your tank never cease to amaze me. Can't wait to see what you do with the new one. I'd like a link when you start posting pics/updates for it.

heyy urbanek, I was looking back through your thread and saw that you had a dwarf angel in the mix of things. What is your opinion on the issue "These kinds of tanks are not sutable for dwarf angels? Do you tink they are or not? Does your angel have enough room in there?

Thanks for the updated pics. I keep coming back to your thread for inspiration of what my tank will hopefully look like as it progresses.

Barryrey - Thanks for the kind words here. Just give it patience and time.

Love the new pictures! I just noticed you have an African Flameback. Your tank must have been on my mind when I picked mine up. Great fish as far as color and personality. He does nip at my acans from time to time, though. Not very often nor aggressive when he does this, so that's good.

The shots of your tank never cease to amaze me. Can't wait to see what you do with the new one. I'd like a link when you start posting pics/updates for it.

Yep, you just described my Angel as well. It definitely pesters the Acans, I'm thinking about moving all my Acans into to my new tank once it's up. Acans and Acros! Thanks for the comments. Once I get my thread started on the new tank, I'll ensure you get the link.

heyy urbanek, I was looking back through your thread and saw that you had a dwarf angel in the mix of things. What is your opinion on the issue "These kinds of tanks are not sutable for dwarf angels? Do you tink they are or not? Does your angel have enough room in there?

There are a couple of species that are a great nano choice. Specifically, the flame back angel and the cherub angel. These are the only 2 that I would consider good nano fish. With that said, they can/do nip at corals. A lot of people are discouraged by that. I'm certain that it's slowed my acan growth down but they are still healthy.

Stunning photos and a thought out and beautiful tank!!! I have something to aim for...

28 gal JBJ nano LED started 10 weeks ago; ordering first fish and coral today probably... from DD.

love your tank/set up. i just bought the same ATO set up you have. the only problem is that my aqualifter pump is not lifting the water up to my JBJ back chamber(just like yours) did u do something to pump to make it work? or is my pump defective you think?

Archived