Pod Your Reef

Photo Journal - Urbanek's 28g Nano-Cube

urbaneks

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One of the cleanest tanks I've seen. I'm lazy, I just let coraline cover my back glass.

Thanks, I take pride in that compliment. I really like the look of a clean background so I work at keeping it clean. My tank is right at 8 months old now so what I'm doing seems to be working pretty well.

Urbaneks, Your tank is fantastic and one of the nicest Nano reefs I've ever seen. :)

Could you tell me what CUC you have in place as your sand bed and live rock looks incredibly clean

I just hope that when I do finally make the leap from FW to the salty side I can make something that could create a similar WOW from visitors that I imagine yours does.

Urbaneks, Your tank is fantastic and one of the nicest Nano reefs I've ever seen. :)

Could you tell me what CUC you have in place as your sand bed and live rock looks incredibly clean

I just hope that when I do finally make the leap from FW to the salty side I can make something that could create a similar WOW from visitors that I imagine yours does.

Thank you so much for the comments. It means a great deal to get feedback like this. I credit my tank cleanliness to more than just my CUC.

First on importance in my opinion is my maintenance routine, it's listed in my thread. I am very diligent in keeping to this plan. Keeping up with water changes keeps the phosphates down and the algae from every forming.

I also have an upgraded media basket which is a must on the Nano Cube. The stock basket does not work to keep the tank clean. If you are interested you can check it out at this thread.

As for my clean up crew, it consists of 10 hermit crabs, 5 Nassarius Snails and 4 Trochus Snails. I think by most peoples standards, they would say that I'm hermit heavy and light on snails but it's the crew I put in there when I started my tank and they have always done a good job so I have not changed it up. Plus I like the entertainment value I get from the hermit crabs.

Thank you so much for the comments. It means a great deal to get feedback like this. I credit my tank cleanliness to more than just my CUC.

First on importance in my opinion is my maintenance routine, it's listed in my thread. I am very diligent in keeping to this plan. Keeping up with water changes keeps the phosphates down and the algae from every forming.

I also have an upgraded media basket which is a must on the Nano Cube. The stock basket does not work to keep the tank clean. If you are interested you can check it out at this thread.

As for my clean up crew, it consists of 10 hermit crabs, 5 Nassarius Snails and 4 Trochus Snails. I think by most peoples standards, they would say that I'm hermit heavy and light on snails but it's the crew I put in there when I started my tank and they have always done a good job so I have not changed it up. Plus I like the entertainment value I get from the hermit crabs.

Urbanek's, The credit is well deserved, you have obviously put a lot of time, effort and care into your reef.

I wan't suggesting that your CUC were wholey responsible for the cleanliness of your reef btw, it was just that I couldn't see any evidence of a CUC being present on your pics and became curious. B)

BTW, I've already seen your thread regarding the basket upgrade and I will make that that purchase once I've got a Nano Cube to put one in :D Are you ok to ship to the UK?

I don't think anyone could accuse you of stocking the wrong ratio of CUC when your tank looks soooo good :D

Urbanek's, The credit is well deserved, you have obviously put a lot of time, effort and care into your reef.

I wan't suggesting that your CUC were wholey responsible for the cleanliness of your reef btw, it was just that I couldn't see any evidence of a CUC being present on your pics and became curious. B)

BTW, I've already seen your thread regarding the basket upgrade and I will make that that purchase once I've got a Nano Cube to put one in :D Are you ok to ship to the UK?

I really don't put a lot of time maintaining my tank. I would say that I spend 5-10 minutes each day and then about 1 hour once a week. As long as you put the little bit of time in on a regular basis, it keeps things in balance.

On the CUC, the snails all disappear during the lighted hours and go to work at night. The crabs are constant cleaners, seems like they never sleep.

I do ship to the UK so when you are ready just send me a PM.

Thanks again for the views and compliments.

MyrtleBeachreefer

Great looking tank. i hope to be at that point in 8 months for sure. i have the same tank and I have just begun the journey. I went ahead and upgraded to the maxijet 1200's on the returns and ordered the tunze 9002skimmer to replace the stock. I will have to place it in the basket chamber so i will have to figure out something. Thanks for sharing pictures and info,once again great beautifully clean tank.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Brad I have a question for you regarding your lighting setup. Assuming you still run the Nova Extreme Pro...do you go with the stock bulbs or have you found a better combo than what they supply? I know choices for bulbs are limited but they seem to have a few more choices now-a-days. I just got the 20" NEP and was curious what others go with.

Thanks,

Jason

Brad I have a question for you regarding your lighting setup. Assuming you still run the Nova Extreme Pro...do you go with the stock bulbs or have you found a better combo than what they supply? I know choices for bulbs are limited but they seem to have a few more choices now-a-days. I just got the 20" NEP and was curious what others go with.

Thanks,

Jason

Jason, I do run the stock setup mainly because my bulbs are good for another 4-5 months. While I have nothing against the current setup, my desire to try something different will mean a change in a few months. With that said, I'm not sure what combo I will go with but will be some combination of the UVL bulbs available on nanotuners.com.

Beautiful setup! A quick question on your ATO: I can't tell from your photo where you put the level sensor that goes inside the tank. Are you putting it in the back section? If so, which chamber do you put it in? I have the 28 CF Quad, and the water level in the 2 outer chambers where the pumps are is always low, down around the pumps, so I can't figure a good spot for that sensor.

Edit: Also, was the maxijet upgrade straightforward (same size tubing, etc.) or did you need to get any parts with them to do the swap?

Beautiful setup! A quick question on your ATO: I can't tell from your photo where you put the level sensor that goes inside the tank. Are you putting it in the back section? If so, which chamber do you put it in? I have the 28 CF Quad, and the water level in the 2 outer chambers where the pumps are is always low, down around the pumps, so I can't figure a good spot for that sensor.

Edit: Also, was the maxijet upgrade straightforward (same size tubing, etc.) or did you need to get any parts with them to do the swap?

Thanks for the post on my thread. If you are looking at my tank from the front, the sensor is in the back left corner of the tank. The sensor is mounted on the stock bracket that comes with the ATO and I have it set so that it's about 1.5 inches from the rim of the tank. In other words the water level of my tank is always within 1.5 inches from the top. If you raise this from where you describe you should be able to eliminate the tiny air bubbles that are floating around your tank.

As for the maxi jet upgrade, very simple, same tubing, powerheads fit easily in the same chambers. Great upgrade for the $.

any new pics?great tank by the way i love how clean it is.

Thanks for the post. While I have neglected my thread, I have not neglected my tank. I will get some new photos taken and loaded later this week. I've had some great growth since the 8 month photos.

• 4 weeks later...

Amazing tank! I've been wanting to get a derasa clam but have been concerned that my NEP wouldn't handle it but after seeing you I'm inspired! How is you derasa doing? When you switch to the UVL bulbs are you also going to upgrade your ballast? Looking forward to seeing some updated pics!

This is a amazing tank and is more than worthy for TOTM. I have a few questions for you regarding the various corals in your tank.

Your hammer coral is beautiful. Have you seen good growth rates from it? In your opinion is it a hardy coral to keep? Do you have any pointers to keeping this coral? I was hoping to get a hammer coral in the future, but not the branching type.

I also love your zoa's? Have you seen good growth from them?

I also love the ricordia's. Are they ricordia florida's or yumas? I wanted to get some in the near future, as I love their coloration. Are they fairly easy corals to keep?

Lastly, if you wouldn't mind taking a look at my thread and giving me some feedback that would be terrific. I could really use some second opinions on a few things in my thread. Thanks!!

Amazing tank! I've been wanting to get a derasa clam but have been concerned that my NEP wouldn't handle it but after seeing you I'm inspired! How is you derasa doing? When you switch to the UVL bulbs are you also going to upgrade your ballast? Looking forward to seeing some updated pics!

My clam is doing great. I was skeptical to get a clam due to all of the things that I read but it's been a simple addition. It has grown significantly since I got it.

As for the lights, I recently replaced my old stock bulbs with new stock bulbs. The UVL bulbs were sold out when I was ready to upgrade and I had read some feedback from folks that were not all that pleased with them. I will look for a different alternative when I'm ready to replace these.

Thanks for the view and compliment on the tank.

This is a amazing tank and is more than worthy for TOTM.

Thanks so much. I'm very excited to have my tank featured.

Your hammer coral is beautiful. Have you seen good growth rates from it? In your opinion is it a hardy coral to keep? Do you have any pointers to keeping this coral? I was hoping to get a hammer coral in the future, but not the branching type.

Hammers are very easy to keep. They will sting your other corals so make sure to give them plenty of room to grow.

I also love your zoa's? Have you seen good growth from them?

Zoas have grown and spread a lot. I have to keep fragging them to keep them in check.

I also love the ricordia's. Are they ricordia florida's or yumas? I wanted to get some in the near future, as I love their coloration. Are they fairly easy corals to keep?

They are Florida's. Very easy to keep. No special care.

Lastly, if you wouldn't mind taking a look at my thread and giving me some feedback that would be terrific. I could really use some second opinions on a few things in my thread. Thanks!!

Will do.

Your tank is fantastic. I picked up an LED Nano Cube Monday (first tank, period), and am working on getting it all set up. Your tank has been an inspiration, your photos give me a goal to work towards, and you come off as a very gracious, knowledgable reefer.

Next time I'm in Arizona, I'll buy you a beverage of your choice, sir.

Your tank is fantastic. I picked up an LED Nano Cube Monday (first tank, period), and am working on getting it all set up. Your tank has been an inspiration, your photos give me a goal to work towards, and you come off as a very gracious, knowledgable reefer.

Next time I'm in Arizona, I'll buy you a beverage of your choice, sir.

Appreciate the view and comments. I'll take you up on that beverage. Holler if you have any questions during your setup, cycle and stocking.

hey urbanek how do you frag the zoas when they are on the rocks razorblade? by the way im loving the media basket it is a must for these tanks.

hey urbanek how do you frag the zoas when they are on the rocks razorblade? by the way im loving the media basket it is a must for these tanks.

I use a small exacto style razor blade to frag my zoas. Make sure to completely rinse and dry the exacto or it will rust on you.

I'm very happy to hear that you are loving the media basket. It is hard to imagine still running the stock basket. I love that I can use the turkey baster on all my rocks/corals and have my tank spotless again in 15-20 minutes.

I use a small exacto style razor blade to frag my zoas. Make sure to completely rinse and dry the exacto or it will rust on you.

I'm very happy to hear that you are loving the media basket. It is hard to imagine still running the stock basket. I love that I can use the turkey baster on all my rocks/corals and have my tank spotless again in 15-20 minutes.

so you just cut them near the base then glue them to plugs?

ya same here with the media basket i blew my rocks of like 4 minutes ago and the water is completley clear again B)

so you just cut them near the base then glue them to plugs?

ya same here with the media basket i blew my rocks of like 4 minutes ago and the water is completley clear again B)

I never actually glue them as I don't have a frag tank and not interested in frag plugs in my tank. I only frag to thin and make room so it's typically just a head or two at a time.

Archived