Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Photo Journal - Urbanek's 28g Nano-Cube

urbaneks

Today is my tanks 5 month Birthday! Here are 5 shots of my tank working back 1 month at a time.

5%20Month%20FTS.jpg

Tank at 5 months - Taken April 23rd

4%20Month%20FTS.jpg

Tank at 4 months - Taken April 1st

3%20Months.jpg

Tank at 3 months - Taken Feb 19th

fts.jpg

Tank at 2 months - Taken Jan 20th

1%20month.jpg

Tank at 1 month - Taken Dec 11th

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I added a couple clownfish this week. These are the first fish in my tank that actually want to be seen. It's a nice change from having to search for the shrimp and goby. (which I have not seen in a week) Anyway here is a shot of the new pair.

Clownfish.jpg

What type of Skimmer are you running?

I don't run a skimmer. My only filtration is my live rock/sand, powerheads and upgraded media basket. I utilize weekly water changes of 6g to deplete Nitrate and refresh my alkalinity and calcium.

Since the cycle, I've never registered any Nitrates. I did have some phosphates early after the cycle but it's been eliminated with chemipure elite.

I've noticed that after a water change my calcium is typically about 420 and a week later before the water change it hits about 380.

Wow, this is what I eventually hope to achieve once I am up and running. I am amazed that so much can be achieved in such little time. I was under the impression as a newbie and reading on several forums that a tank was a painfully slow thing and something like yours would take at least 2 years to grow in/acclimate. Glad you killed that myth.

Same tank but LED lighting and will have a sump running cheato and a Tunze 9002 skimmer and your media basket. Will start out with chemipure and purigen and in the media basket but might use a large sponge as opposed to filter floss as my sump will have a fine filter sock for polishing. Again, your tank is outstanding.

PS: May be bugging you later with suggestions and recommendations once I get things going. ;)

PS: May be bugging you later with suggestions and recommendations once I get things going. ;)

Thanks for the comments and I look forward to hearing from you.

A beautiful example of what can be achieved with stock AIO tanks. I am going to use your media basket idea and make one as I have the floating particle problem as well.

While I had the camera out today trying to get a shot of the new angel, I took a couple of other shots that I felt were worth posting. See below.

Copy%20of%20topdown.jpg

Here is a shot from top down of the my sand bed

zoas.jpg

A Zoa Garden is Forming on My Sand Bed

Sideview.jpg

Photo of my tank from the left side

kennycs1292

what a beautiful tank. cant wait until my 28g quad pc comes in the mail. i hope it gets to look half as nice as yours :)

Your tank looks amazing for quad lights, the angel looks beautiful. I was considering getting one but was worried it would be too aggressive.

Your tank looks amazing for quad lights, the angel looks beautiful. I was considering getting one but was worried it would be too aggressive.

My angel is not in the least bit aggressive. He cruises the rocks all day long looking for a meal. He completely ignores all the other fish in the tank. He has not nipped on any corals either, this is a concern that I had read about.

what a beautiful tank. cant wait until my 28g quad pc comes in the mail. i hope it gets to look half as nice as yours :)

Kenny, thanks so much for the view and positive comments.

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely amazing tank Urbanek, think if I ever got mine half as good, I'd be over the moon.

I'm hoping I'm wrong, but I don't expect to get such a great choice of materials to work with over this side of the pond, there's hardly any LFS's (think I've got that abreviation right) around where I live.

Loved the basket design but it'll probably cost an arm and a leg to get it shipped over here, (so might try and knock something together from an old tab packet etc), send me the specs please, and I'll include you in the royalties lol).

Since I've got the standard D-D package (and half the time havent got a clue what you guys are talking about - rowas, cheato, etc.), what are the main things I should be doing from day one ?

I know there's an amazing amount of knowledge on the site but as a total newbie, where do you start?, It would be great if someone who knows all the in's & out's would just say:

Day 1 - unpack box

Day 2 - take box to the tip

Day 3 - fill tank & test for leaks

Day 4 - empty tank & mop up floor (blame one of the kids for not making it to toilet in time!!!)

Day 5- order 20lbs live rock and 20lbs live sand

Day 25 - sling in a couple of fish etc.

etc!!, etc!!, (and I know it's probably on the site somewhere anyway!!!!, but humour me cos I'm thick.:-)

Urbaneks as usuall your tank is rocking! Love the angel to. What is the size of that angel and where did you get him. Also I changed my light around. i put the Blue actinic half in front. What a diffrence in looks. Only thing I am worried about is how well the zoas and shrooms will do.

Urbaneks as usuall your tank is rocking! Love the angel to. What is the size of that angel and where did you get him. Also I changed my light around. i put the Blue actinic half in front. What a diffrence in looks. Only thing I am worried about is how well the zoas and shrooms will do.

Aaron, Thanks for checking in on the thread. My angel is about 1.5 inches long and he came from one of the LFS close to my house. He's a really cool fish. I was worried about him nipping on corals and being a pest to my clowns. He and the clowns ignore each other and he's the only pestering he's done to corals is when they have food hanging out of them.

On the light you will have to keep us posted on how that works. I actually just bought a new (used) light today here on NR. Its a 20" Nova Extreme Pro T5. I'm hoping to see better color on my Monti Caps and give me the chance to keep a clam. I don't have it yet but can't wait! I went with it over MH due to heat.

whaevclever

Great looking tank. I'm cycling my 28g NC right now.

Your rock scaping looks real nice. How did you get the rock to stay like that. Did you glue the pices together. Or are they just sitting like that. I'm tring to scape me rocks into something I like. Not totally happy yet

Happy reeFing

Great looking tank. I'm cycling my 28g NC right now.

Your rock scaping looks real nice. How did you get the rock to stay like that. Did you glue the pices together. Or are they just sitting like that. I'm tring to scape me rocks into something I like. Not totally happy yet

Happy reeFing

Thanks for the view and comments. My rocks are not glued, just moved them around until I got something along the lines that I was after. I think it will alway be a compromise but at some point you just have to go with it. I can tell you that as things grow in around your scape it makes it much better.

A couple new updates for my tank.

First of all I upgraded the stock light on the tank to a T5 Fixture. I'm now running a 20" Nova Extreme Pro made by Current.

________________________________________________________________________________

_

After reading many success stories about keeping clams under T5 lighting, I added one to my tank today.

Clam%20Upload.jpg

Tridacna Deresa

While taking shots of the clam, I took this photo that I really liked.

nuclear.jpg

Nuclear Green Paly's with other Zoas

Archived