Innovative Marine Aquariums

Photo Journal - Urbanek's 28g Nano-Cube

urbaneks

Reefmonster
My tank is now 5 months old. Here are a few photos I took today of some of the recent additions.

6%20Line.jpg

Six Line Wrasse

Ric%20Garden.jpg

Ric Garden with New Additions

Zoa%20Garden.jpg

Zoa Garden

Pink%20Acan.jpg

Pink Acan

porites.jpg

Green Porites

I love the tank, but have a question...At the start of the thread you said that the tank was stock, but what lighting option did it have? I really like the way it looked! It looks great now, but my funds are limited, so I gotta go stock. I got a tank from Vesian, but my brother accidently knocked it off my workbench and it shattered into a million pieces... <sigh>...

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My Nano Cube started out with the power compact light. This light was great for the LPS and softies. I did have some monti cap and birds nest that were growing under that light. Since changing to the T5's, the grown is noticeably better. I have the PC hood that I could sell/send to you if you are interested. PM me if you are in need of the hood. Sorry to hear about the smashed NC.

well the tank looks amazing! how do you get your rics to stay in place? mine float all over

I bought all of my rics from a LFS and they were already attached to small rubble. I then set them next to one of my live rocks and they've always stayed put or attached to the live rock.

littlelacho

The tank looks amazing, Brad! Definitely something for me to aspire to! Wow. I am definitely having a slow start. I was wondering about the ricordea as well...I picked up one this weekend and it is not floating all over but there was nothing attached to it but a tiny pellet of crushed coral so I was unable to glue the little guy to my rock since I didn't want to get glue on the ric. I placed him on the rock and he seems to have settled on there okay so far...whew lol! I hope he stays lol! Anyway....again...tank looks fantastic!

Lookin Good!

Thanks for the view and compliment!!! It is much appreciated. Hope all is well with your 28g

• 2 weeks later...
clownfish14

hey brad just a quick question. how deep is your sandbed what type of sand is it and what do you do to clean it?

thanks

clown

Clown, The average depth is about 3.5 inches but I have most of the sand pushed to the back and middle of my tank. I like the look of a shallow bed but wanted the bio filtration of a DSB, as a result, I have it sloped from back to front. The best pic I have that shows the slope can be viewed here

http://www.nano-reef.com/gallery/showphoto...mp;ppuser=48784

As for cleaning, I use a tooth brush to clean the sand right where it meets the glass. I don't disturb it any where else in the tank.

When I started my tank, I used half live sand and the other half was dry sand from my LFS. The live sand was the CarribSea and the dry sand was the same but was bought in bulk.

Just curious why you were asking? Hope this is what you were after.

clownfish14

ya that was great thanks. i was just wondering because i have a nitrate and phosphate problem and i am running just a shallow sand bed ~1 inch and i was wondering if i needed to mix it up or anything but i think i found my answer on a reef central form

thanks,

nick

ya that was great thanks. i was just wondering because i have a nitrate and phosphate problem and i am running just a shallow sand bed ~1 inch and i was wondering if i needed to mix it up or anything but i think i found my answer on a reef central form

thanks,

nick

What approach are you looking at to reduce your Nitrate and Phosphates? I would recommend water changes for the Nitrate issue and I would use chemi-pure elite or phosban to reduce the phosphates. That is what I run in my media basket along with filter floss. I've yet to register nitrates or phosphates since my cycle completed.

I've had a couple people PM me about my ATO setup. Here is a photo along with a description of how it's setup.

Bottom Picture

This is the 3g reservoir that I bought for $9 at Target. It's a tight squeeze in the bottom of the stock JBJ stand but does fit with a little nudge. There are 2 items coming out of the lid of the reservoir, the black wire is the sensor that hooks up to the JBJ ATO unit. This sensor sends a signal to the ATO if the reservoir gets low, this is to prevent the ATO from running the pump with a dry reservoir. The second item coming out of the lid is flex tubing that hooks up to the input of the aqua lifter pump.

Middle Picture

The item in the background is the JBJ ATO unit, cost is about $90 from Marine Depot. The ATO has two sensors that hook up to it, one that runs to the reservoir and the other that runs up to the tank. If the sensor in the tank senses low water, the ATO unit turns on the Aqua Lifter Pump which in turn pumps water from the reservoir up to the tank. The item in the foreground of the photo is the Tom's Aqua Lifter Pump, cost is about $5 on Marine Depot. There are two ports on the pump, one is the input which comes from the reservoir, the outer is the output which goes into the tank. The power cord of the pump is plugged directly into the ATO unit.

Top Picture

The ATO sensor is what reads the water level in the tank. Once the float on the sensor drops, it sends the signal to the ATO which then turns on the pump and water is dispensed to the tank until the float sensor returns to the top. I have the ATO dispense line running through the stock hole that is on the rim of the JBJ 28g tanks. Make sure that you keep the dispense line above the water line in the tank. If you don't you run the risk of starting a back siphon that could drain water from your tank down to your reservoir.

ATO%20Setup.jpg

littlelacho

Nice...that is my next equipment purchase. Thanks for showing how you have that set up, Brad. Very helpful.

Sweet ATO setup bro.

Thanks, it is definitely better than my old ATO, which was me!

Nice...that is my next equipment purchase. Thanks for showing how you have that set up, Brad. Very helpful.

Let me know if you have questions while you are hooking it up.

youincolor

Great looking tank, and you take great pictures. I think it may be the cleanest tank I have ever seen.

littlelacho
Let me know if you have questions while you are hooking it up.

Thank you, I appreciate that! And you will most likely hear from me when I get it lol!

Great looking tank, and you take great pictures. I think it may be the cleanest tank I have ever seen.

Thanks, thanks and thanks! I really appreciate the clean tank comment. I take pride in my maintenance schedule.

The media basket I got from you is working out great. Thank you!

In your first/upper picture I see the ATO sensor is mounted to a bracket. Does that bracket come with the unit or is there one that you would recommend that fits the JBJ 28g?

Thanks, thanks and thanks! I really appreciate the clean tank comment. I take pride in my maintenance schedule.

The JBJ ATO unit comes with that bracket along with several others.

Glad the media basket is working out great.

Amazing tank! Do you run into any heat problems with that lighting set-up? Do you have or have you ever had the need for a chiller? Thanks man, keep up the great work I love looking at your pictures!!!

Amazing tank! Do you run into any heat problems with that lighting set-up? Do you have or have you ever had the need for a chiller? Thanks man, keep up the great work I love looking at your pictures!!!

No heat issues at all and I live in Arizona. We keep our AC set on 78 and my tank does not climb above 80. If I were to run a lid on top of my tank, I think I would have some heat issues. The downside is I evaporate a lot of water.

Archived