Pod Your Reef

Unofficial Pico Methodology Contest

Growerguy

• Replies 858
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just wanted to mention a couple of things about LED lighting and it's effect on corals since several ppl in this contest have mentioned using LEDs over their tanks.

First, don't underestimate it's strength, LEDs are stronger than many ppl realize.

They also don't have nearly as much of a drop off in PAR at the bottom of the tank as compared to other types of Reef Lighting.

For this reason (I think), Mushrooms tend not to do as well under them. Ricordeas seem to do well in some tanks under LEDs but not so well in others, same with Yumas.

Some Zoas do okay, some shrink and don't open as much/as wide.

SPS seem to universally do well under LEDs, and most LPS seem to do okay although a few don't handle it as well.

Dosing also seems to be more important in tanks lit by LEDs.

Hope this input helps those planning on using LEDs over their Picos.

Just wanted to mention a couple of things about LED lighting and it's effect on corals since several ppl in this contest have mentioned using LEDs over their tanks.

First, don't underestimate it's strength, LEDs are stronger than many ppl realize.

They also don't have nearly as much of a drop off in PAR at the bottom of the tank as compared to other types of Reef Lighting.

For this reason (I think), Mushrooms tend not to do as well under them. Ricordeas seem to do well in some tanks under LEDs but not so well in others, same with Yumas.

Some Zoas do okay, some shrink and don't open as much/as wide.

SPS seem to universally do well under LEDs, and most LPS seem to do okay although a few don't handle it as well.

Dosing also seems to be more important in tanks lit by LEDs.

Hope this input helps those planning on using LEDs over their Picos.

Thanks for the info and advice. Since I have never done LED's yet, that is some good info to know going into it. I figure it will be an experiment of sorts. I am trying to figure out the whole LED thing so that maybe in a year or so when I build my big tank, I will already know whats going on and I will have already made my mistakes. Mistakes on an 8 gallon don't seem to cost as much as mistakes on a 75 gallon. Then again, I keep threatening my wife that I am going to scrap our 30 and build the 75 now using the 30 as its sump. :o especially since I have to redo the 30's sump anyway. Maybe, we'll see what the taxes situation looks like in a couple of weeks. Shhhhh, don't tell my wife. :D

I'm not ready to start a thread and give up all of my secrets yet, but here's some of what I'll be working with-

10" cube

IMG_4314.jpg

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...t=0&start=0

Coffee press, Sam Adams, and a 6yr old :scarry: , and yes I am aware of the horrors that lurk beneath the fingernails of a 6yr old, and I might add in that those fingers have been marinated in full hockey goalie gear for up to 4hrs at a time. :eek:

Posted my build thread:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=222438 - 1/4 Gallon SPS Cube

Should be a kewl little tank.

I'm not ready to start a thread and give up all of my secrets yet, but here's some of what I'll be working with-

10" cube

Nice tank. Are you going to use that LED setup ?? Also I might just take you up un the green encrusting Gorgonia when the time is ready. :D

As for my LED -- going to do something a little different. A slight experiment but should work for the size tank I have.

Coffee press, Sam Adams, and a 6yr old :scarry: , and yes I am aware of the horrors that lurk beneath the fingernails of a 6yr old, and I might add in that those fingers have been marinated in full hockey goalie gear for up to 4hrs at a time. :eek:

:haha:

I've actually graduated from the French Press to an Aeropress and I love it. :D

Should be a kewl little tank.

Nice tank. Are you going to use that LED setup ?? Also I might just take you up un the green encrusting Gorgonia when the time is ready. :D

As for my LED -- going to do something a little different. A slight experiment but should work for the size tank I have.

Yeah, I'm gonna use that LED setup.

Just LMK when you're ready for the Green Encrusting Gorgonian, I have plenty of it available.

It was one of my first corals, and is still one of my favorites.

OK Travis, Here is my offical tank thread link. Not much to look at now, all in due time.

Methodology contest winner link ;)

OK Weets, its your turn now. Along with everyone else. If I can get this junk up, surely you all can come up with something.

:lol: Ok got you added.

Posted my build thread:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=222438 - 1/4 Gallon SPS Cube

Got you added to the list also. :happy:

10" cube

Nice tank Wheetie. Mmm beer and yet another picture with that grass stuff.. Its been so long sense we have seen grass here.. Go away snow! Also thanks for the info on the LEDs.. I think I may be one of the few that isnt going that route.

10 more days until everyone can start their tanks! Remember tho you don't have to start it right away, everyone has untill April 30th to get something together.

I see through your secret! Dosing with Samuel Adams! How could any coral be unhappy with their neighbors while a beer or 2 is in their system! :haha:

Well ya know, Vodka dosing is one of the "in" things right now, I just thought I'd put a little bit of a different spin on it. ;)

Think Guinness would work? :P Get rid of nitrates and feed my corals at the same time...

Well y'know, there's only one way to find out....

You all had better watch out, I am going to a frag swap tomorrow and stocking my 30 so I can steal some for my pico when its ready. This should be a good one. Woo Hoo!!!! :D

You all had better watch out, I am going to a frag swap tomorrow and stocking my 30 so I can steal some for my pico when its ready. This should be a good one. Woo Hoo!!!! :D

Nice, I'm still waiting for this contest to get going(and payday which are thankfully one in the same) The algae and layout in this tank is driving me crazy, I want to fix it, but there's no point in doing that before I have to drain it for the restart date.

Well y'know, there's only one way to find out....

:lol: Guinness makes me big and strong... well at least my belly big and think Im strong... It should work the same way for corals right? :lol:

I'm in on this project. I've got at least one slightly unusual idea for the tank which I'll disclose once it unfolds further and I get around to doing a journal... though I will say I'm gonna do an XP-G/XP-E custom LED fitting for it... because LED is sexy :naughtydance: We're trying to drum up interest for this contest over on Reefing The Australian Way, hopefully there'll be a few of our boys committing to join in as well.

omgomgomg

I'm in on this project. I've got at least one slightly unusual idea for the tank which I'll disclose once it unfolds further and I get around to doing a journal... though I will say I'm gonna do an XP-G/XP-E custom LED fitting for it... because LED is sexy :naughtydance: We're trying to drum up interest for this contest over on Reefing The Australian Way, hopefully there'll be a few of our boys committing to join in as well.

omgomgomg

Awesome! The more we can get interested in this, the more ideas we'll see. Which will hopefully give people many directions/combinations of pico reefing they can do to give their mini-reef the best chances of flourishing.

Well that's funny, so am I.

You're not going to the Nashville Swap, are you?

If so, look for the girl with the waist length, curly, strawberry-blonde hair.

omgomgomg

Awesome! Glad to have you and awesome that you're spreading the word. :D

I got your name added to the first post. :happy:

omgomgomg

I really like the Australia forum. That forum and NR are really the only 2 forums I cruise.

-----------------------

Well that was a retarded post of mine as you have a higher post count then I do --- LOL --- edited it to make sense.

Archived