inTank Media Baskets

Unofficial Pico Methodology Contest

Growerguy

I might be interested. sorry if im wrong but could a 5+ gal tank AIO be ok if the display is still <5 gal?

Reason I ask is I have a SPS picotope set up right now and id half to break it down to participate anyways and id like to have a BIT larger tank to work with.

• Replies 858
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well there's still a little room for speculation there, but after seeing your other build in progress, this should be interesting.

Yes I have a vivid imagination at times. Went to Pier 1 Imports and saw this lamp -- it was close but not quiet -- it got me thinking -- and the pico was born. :eek:

So Weetabix7 are you going to join in the fun -- we would really love to have you aboard :D

I promise there will be no bickering and no rule changes -- just good clean pico fun

I might be interested. sorry if im wrong but could a 5+ gal tank AIO be ok if the display is still <5 gal?

Reason I ask is I have a SPS picotope set up right now and id half to break it down to participate anyways and id like to have a BIT larger tank to work with.

As long as the display part is less then 5.5 gallons and the filter area is less then 3 gallons then you are good as gold and we would love to have you join us.

great thanks! I am going to look around at tanks and if I do go the AIO route il be sure to post the dimentions so there is no #####in about size ;) lord knows how heated these contests can get!

count me 100% in, I have a 3 gal picotope so worst case il just re-start that. looking forward to this

great thanks! I am going to look around at tanks and if I do go the AIO route il be sure to post the dimentions so there is no #####in about size ;) lord knows how heated these contests can get!

count me 100% in, I have a 3 gal picotope so worst case il just re-start that. looking forward to this

Awesome we'll get you added.

This is going to be a fun contest not a heated one. With almost no rules it's hard to argue. :D I really think by taking the budget/money issue out of the equation most of problems go away.

I think the unlimited budget and rather large sizes allowed will help this contest greatly. My post count may be low but iv been doing nanos for 6 years, back when biocubes were still cool (jk to you biocube users ;) )

I think the unlimited budget and rather large sizes allowed will help this contest greatly. My post count may be low but iv been doing nanos for 6 years, back when biocubes were still cool (jk to you biocube users ;) )

I was into back when 7g minibows aga was the thing.I still have that old tank laying around

I was into back when 7g minibows aga was the thing.I still have that old tank laying around

7g Minibows are still the bomb IMHO but can't seem to find them anymore like you use to be able to.

7g Minibows are still the bomb IMHO but can't seem to find them anymore like you use to be able to.

I really dont like it.There isnt enough front to back space compared to the hieght of the tank.I just use mine to mix water in.

I really dont like it.There isnt enough front to back space compared to the hieght of the tank.I just use mine to mix water in.

where are you located? you got pics? ill give ya $10 for it if your local lol

where are you located? you got pics? ill give ya $10 for it if your local lol

I am in Missouri and I dont plan on selling it.lol gave to much for it

Yea front to back is lacking but ............ it was one of my most successful reef tanks I have ever had. Of course I had custom lighting. I just loved that tank -- damn those 48 hour ice storms. I will never be caught with my pants down again. :blush:

1blackchicken

Is there a way to start a thread or possibly a section on the forum that way everyone who is doing the contest will be able to post their build threadsin the same area to keep it organized and that way it would be easier for the mods as well as for all of us to check out the competition? Just a thought.

Is there a way to start a thread or possibly a section on the forum that way everyone who is doing the contest will be able to post their build threadsin the same area to keep it organized and that way it would be easier for the mods as well as for all of us to check out the competition? Just a thought.

Everyone starts their own thread in the pico section, and there will be a list of links of the competitors in this thread.

I believe Grower will include a link to your thread next to your name in the original post. That way you can easily keep track of your stiff competition.

Yes that is the way to do it. Once everyone gets a thread going I will remove all threads from my favorites and only have the contest threads in there. That way I can easily look into everyone's threads.

Well I was vetoed from being allowed to start another tank, however the 5.5 AIO I have needs to be rebuilt, there's some stagnant spots in the fuge area that are collecting too much detritus, not to mention the algae that took over. Would the rebuild of this tank be acceptable to enter?

Yes a rebuild is fine. But you will need to drain it out and take the official submission picture with it "dry" once the household item is announced.

I know some people will take the initial picture and then pull LR and corals etc out of their main tank for an instant/no cycle setup. All that is acceptable. This contest is really about the 5 month grow out period to see what method of keeping a pico works and what doesn't.

The initial 7 months is for people to tweak and stock and get things just right before the grow out.

What I hope to see is some long term pico's that people will keep runing even after the contest is over.

I have a question.

We have the first 7 months to set up a stable system, and the last 5 months are to show how well our system will do.

Because of this, no livestock can be added in the last 5 months, and neither can any new equipment.

However, what if a situation arises where there is a Pest Algae outbreak or an aiptasia outbreak sometime during the last 5 months?

Would we be allowed to put something like an Emerald Crab or a Peppermint Shrimp in to take care of the problem?

after 7mon i would think that the only way you would get an aptasia outbreak would be more than likely something new was added maybe. there are also other means of getting rid of aptasia out there besides a peppermint shrimp(which isnt always a guarantee).

I have a question.

We have the first 7 months to set up a stable system, and the last 5 months are to show how well our system will do.

Because of this, no livestock can be added in the last 5 months, and neither can any new equipment.

However, what if a situation arises where there is a Pest Algae outbreak or an aiptasia outbreak sometime during the last 5 months?

Would we be allowed to put something like an Emerald Crab or a Peppermint Shrimp in to take care of the problem?

Hmmm interesting question.

So the real question is, does CUC count as an expendable item or is it live stock?? Lets face it some snails just don't live that long and it's not like you can load your pico up with a bunch of snails to be sure some survive till the end.

With that said I would count CUC as an expendable item that can be added any time per the rules.

If you really have an Aptasia issue (and we will all know you do) then adding a pepermint shrimp to take care of that would be part of your CUC that would count as an expendable that can be added/replaced at any time.

Now if your tank is kicking butt and you try and add a shrimp in the end just so it looks better then come now that wouldn't be in the spirit of the contest.

We are not trying to limit a pico's ability at long term survival so some flexibility in the few rules we have will be accounted for.

Archived