Cultivated Reef

Unofficial Pico Methodology Contest

Growerguy

• Replies 858
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So, is your tank going to be the one in your avatar? That is a really sweet looking tank. Mark

That tank is the 12" contest tank aka Technicolor Dream cube... this one will be AIO, but different. Might do a new CAD drawing for the contest start day.....

I wouldnt see a problem in making multiple tanks. I just have enough tanks as it is so will only make one pico. :lol: This is a contest and hopefully a learning experience for most. Stay in the guidelines, have fun, and treat it like you would any of your tanks.

Im looking into some prizes. Being as that is a year away we will see what we can come up with.

I wouldnt see a problem in making multiple tanks. I just have enough tanks as it is so will only make one pico. :lol: This is a contest and hopefully a learning experience for most. Stay in the guidelines, have fun, and treat it like you would any of your tanks.

Im looking into some prizes. Being as that is a year away we will see what we can come up with.

Might be able to offer a frag or 2 to the pot if no official sponsors are found...

Personally, a nice tank, and learning from others' progress over the course of a year is good enough for me... :)

I would think mitiple tanks per person is ok. Each tank must follow the rules. I would suggest making the tanks basically different methods of keeping a pico as that is in the spirit of seeing what methodology works and what doesn't.

Just remember if you build 5 tanks and don't get any votes for any of the tanks :mellow: ................ well I won't go on. :huh:

Sounds good, thanks, No worries, it will all be in the spirit of the contest. I need to think about this for a while. I have a few ideas I need to ponder. That and just how much am I willing to dedicate to this. I do have another tank that I just got going and my wife has a NC6 we just set up for her. So I really need to weigh my options here as I am very busy for 6 months of the year coaching soccer in my spare time. I have time to think, and plan. No matter what, count me in for at least one tank.

Yea, I would be willing to throw a frag into the pot. I am strickly doing this on a volunteer basis and would suggest that its NOT made mandatory. I would not want someone to NOT join because they didn't want to contribute. YMMV, Mark

I am 90% sure I'm in, just wanted to watch the course of what happened with this thread/idea over the course of the weekend before committing myself.

animalmaster6
I am 90% sure I'm in, just wanted to watch the course of what happened with this thread/idea over the course of the weekend before committing myself.

Why aren't you doing our contest?

No worries, I don't so much want to make something like throwing in a frag mandatory for the same reasons. Something will come up.. Im involved in our local club and may be able to come up with some sponsors.

Also everyone has plenty of time to make a decision. The contest starts Feb 1st but you can jump in anytime between Feb 1st and April 30th. This was done to because of amount of other contests and tax returns coming.

Why aren't you doing our contest?

It just doesn't look good when the person who started the contest/thread asks if anyone would mind if he does a tank larger than what was set forth in the rules, and then goes on to enter said tank in yet another contest.

I hate to say it, but you guys just don't seem like you're ready to really do a contest like this and/or to keep it under control.

Sorry to be the "bad guy", but you asked.

It just doesn't look good when the person who started the contest/thread asks if anyone would mind if he does a tank larger than what was set forth in the rules, and then goes on to enter said tank in yet another contest.

I hate to say it, but you guys just don't seem like you're ready to really do a contest like this and/or to keep it under control.

I didnt enter in another contest. -_- All i was doing was asking never said i was going to.

animalmaster6

That's alright. It is very unorganized but everybody keeps on protesting...

i am in and even willing to part with a frag or 2 BUT with one restriction if i lose you guys have to give me step by step instructions on how to ship a coral frag because i would hate for it to die because of a shipping error

That's alright. It is very unorganized but everybody keeps on protesting...

The rules are final now, wont change again. Sorry for changing the topic GrowerGuy

I didnt enter in another contest. -_- All i was doing was asking never said i was going to.

The Sub 20g AIO Contest thread is 2 pgs long and other than the guy talking about starting it, you are the one person most involved in discussion of exactly how the contest would play out and asking for clarification of rules.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...221218&st=0

i am in and even willing to part with a frag or 2 BUT with one restriction if i lose you guys have to give me step by step instructions on how to ship a coral frag because i would hate for it to die because of a shipping error

I have a fairly detailed Shipping Tutorial I can post if it ever gets to the point in the contest where it is needed.

It's a little too early for that just now, we're still figuring this kinda stuff out, right?

Its alright hlander, realize you have your heart in the right place and you have a good idea. I just got put off with all the confusion and this came about after talking to c_k_kuehne. I dropped from your contest because of this. Wish you luck and if they protest put your foot down and :slap:

I have a fairly detailed Shipping Tutorial I can post if it ever gets to the point in the contest where it is needed.

It's a little too early for that just now, we're still figuring this kinda stuff out, right?

Yes we're still figuring this out. I can say throwing in a frag, money, or anything else will not be mandatory. This contest is geared more towards having fun and bragging rights. A year from now myself and the other mods may come up with some prizes, and if anyone wants to donate a frag or anything that would be generous.

i think if enough people were willing to ship a frag or 2 to the winner that it would be really cool if the winner took all those frags and setup a special display tank with the frags from the other contestants plus whatever he/she wins if we can get a sponsor

I think I'm in. I have my eye on a 2g hex right now on craigslist. Just because of money and time I may be starting later than feb 1. So my question is on feb 1, could I put dry rock in another tank of mine to begin seeding it to reduce my cycle later?

I think I'm in. I have my eye on a 2g hex right now on craigslist. Just because of money and time I may be starting later than feb 1. So my question is on feb 1, could I put dry rock in another tank of mine to begin seeding it to reduce my cycle later?

That is no problem. As for everyone you can use water and rock out of another established tank to start/cycle your pico faster. If you stay with in the critera in the first post you can start and run your tank the same as you would your other tanks.

Edit*

In other words you could put dry rock in another tank now to seed it, dont have to wait till Feb 1st. Wouldn't be much different then someone who goes and buys cured LR on Feb 1st. :happy:

yea man I got them. Thanks for taking the time to sent them to me. Very helpful!

Sorry again, it took so long to get that to you. I typed on that for 30 min and when my computer lost what I typed, I was done with it for a while. Then I knew I was going to build my sump so I figured I would just do a write up and include pics. Everyone likes pics. Anyway, hope it helped, if you have any questions, just let me know and I will answer them. I will be employing those tank building methods again for this contest as well, so I will have a homebuilt tank to go a year. I hope. Cheers, Mark

Archived