SaltCritters.com

Unofficial Pico Methodology Contest

Growerguy

Awesome! The more we can get interested in this, the more ideas we'll see. Which will hopefully give people many directions/combinations of pico reefing they can do to give their mini-reef the best chances of flourishing.

That's sort of why I jumped on it, because unlike other contests of it's type there's limited interference with methodology by rules. Definitely trying to pitch it to the admins over on RTAW as being a worthwhile cause to get behind.

Awesome! Glad to have you and awesome that you're spreading the word. :D

I got your name added to the first post. :happy:

Cheers mate! I've just made a threat for my reef if you want to add the link to it :happy:

I really like the Australia forum. That forum and NR are really the only 2 forums I cruise.

-----------------------

Well that was a retarded post of mine as you have a higher post count then I do --- LOL --- edited it to make sense.

Same. Basically NR was my first home, went to RC for a bit but found it was like living in the Soviet Union, came back here, found RTAW, now I spend most of my time there. It helps a lot being in a society with a lot of the people in there... :)

Now, to assemble this beast... :scarry:

• Replies 858
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You sign up right here. :) Let me know and Ill add you to the contestant list. Let me or the other 2 mods know if you have any questions.

then im letting you know i'm in but i just ordered my lights yesterday so i might not make the 25th but thats ok right

It's open enrollment until April 30th so no problem. Read the rules carefully in the 1st post of this thread. There aren't many rules just mainly submission guidelines which are very liberal.

Will make a FTS submission thread on Jan 31st 11:59 pm which will go over the submission guidelines just to make sure everyone understands them.

GrowerGuy will get you listed on the 1st page as an official contestant.

Well, I leave for a day and this thread explodes. Way to go all.

Woo Hoo! I just got back from the frag swap. :P:P:P I have some corals now. I spent wayyyyyy toooooo much money. I knew that going in. Great swap with a lot of really good people there. Thanks all.

Hey there Weets!!! Nice to meet you. I now know my competition. At least one more. Hope you got some good stuff. It sounded like you got some good deals. I did. I got some really good ones on some presale stuff. Really large pieces.

I did learn a few things. If you even think you want it, and its a good deal, buy it right then or it will be gone when you come back. Man did I miss this one piece that was a killer deal. The thing sat there for hours. Idk why I didn't buy it when she told me the price and I knew it was a steal. Oh well, lesson learned.

Well, I leave for a day and this thread explodes. Way to go all.

Woo Hoo! I just got back from the frag swap. :P:P:P I have some corals now. I spent wayyyyyy toooooo much money. I knew that going in. Great swap with a lot of really good people there. Thanks all.

Hey there Weets!!! Nice to meet you. I now know my competition. At least one more. Hope you got some good stuff. It sounded like you got some good deals. I did. I got some really good ones on some presale stuff. Really large pieces.

I did learn a few things. If you even think you want it, and its a good deal, buy it right then or it will be gone when you come back. Man did I miss this one piece that was a killer deal. The thing sat there for hours. Idk why I didn't buy it when she told me the price and I knew it was a steal. Oh well, lesson learned.

Very nice meeting you. :)

I can't wait to see pics of what you got!

Did your 7 yo ever pick a coral out?

I'm very happy with what I got, now I just gotta go rearrange the tank to make room for everything. :wacko:

Very nice meeting you. :)

I can't wait to see pics of what you got!

Did your 7 yo ever pick a coral out?

I'm very happy with what I got, now I just gotta go rearrange the tank to make room for everything. :wacko:

Hey you, Yes, it was nice meeting you also. Nice to meet some of my competition in this here contest. Nice to know what I am up against. Yes, Kristen finally picked out a pink branching montipora. We got it from Reef Koi in the very end during the fire sale. He said its kinda rare as you almost never see a "branching" montipora, you always see the encursting and cupping, but not the branching. I got him to do up a challice frag with it for $30. He wanted $35 to start but I only had $30 left. Another lesson learned, Never spend all the money in your pocket at a frag swap. Leave some for the ride home.

I will say, some are better deals than others. I had preordered some from a few people over on RC and I got some really nice pieces. I am very happy with my purchases. I definately want to go to some more swaps. This was my first swap. An experience, thats for sure. I am now planning on my next. They had more equipmet than I expected. I came prepared for corals, not equipment. I will post up some pics tomorrow after some of the frags get over being pissed. They don't like the couple of hours of cold and bagged. They are coming out now though.

Boy I feel out of place.I have to start with dry rock and sand.I have been out of reefing for several years.I did buy 1LBS of LR and put it in a holding tank a week ago but thats it.Who in here is starting out all new and not just transfering stuff from another tank?

I'll be starting mostly new, I'm gonna get about 2lb of new rock and some new sand. I'll seed both with what's in my current tank, but that's it.

Boy I feel out of place.I have to start with dry rock and sand.I have been out of reefing for several years.I did buy 1LBS of LR and put it in a holding tank a week ago but thats it.Who in here is starting out all new and not just transfering stuff from another tank?

i'm planning on starting from scratch i am planning to take a couple of frags of coral from a friends tank but thats it other wise new everything. this is my tank its 1/4 gallon all in one 2 watts cree xr-e leds and a small table fountian pump.

post-47792-1264394008_thumb.jpg

i'm planning on starting from scratch i am planning to take a couple of frags of coral from a friends tank but thats it other wise new everything. this is my tank its 1/4 gallon all in one 2 watts cree xr-e leds and a small table fountian pump.

Wow, pretty small. You should change your name from reef2.5 to reef.25 :haha:

im going to be using dry rock and live sand out of a bag and i will seed it with a couple rubble sized pieces i found in my aquapod and maybe a few more pieces of rubble if i can find any at my LFS

Boy I feel out of place.I have to start with dry rock and sand.I have been out of reefing for several years.I did buy 1LBS of LR and put it in a holding tank a week ago but thats it.Who in here is starting out all new and not just transferring stuff from another tank?

Don't feel out of place a lot of us are starting out with new LR. I will purchase my once piece of LR from a LFS. Will try and find the best piece I can. Also will purchase my couple of frags from a LFS or maybe get something off people here on NR so I am basically in the same boat you are.

With a contest running this long there is no real advantage of going established LR or new LR or dry LR for that matter. Established LR may look better in the beginning and may be a quicker start up but things can go south in a hurry in a pico so everyone will need to have a viable system to last the year.

So im new to the forum, new to contests. My question is what is a "FTS thread" and how I start the contest

A "FTS Thread" is a Full Tank Shot Thread.

We will create on of these Jan 31st just before midnight. That is the thread where all the official submission photo's (one per month anytime during the current month) get posted. You 1st official submission photo needs to be a dry tank with a household item (to be announced) in that picture. These pictures should be full tank shots as opposed to single coral pictures.

In the mean time create a build thread in the pico forum. Name that thread anything you want. Post your build pictures, your system specs, and your livestock. That thread you will update throughout the year. This way everyone in the contest can check out how your doing and can give some helpful advise if needed about your setup in that thread.

Just read the rules/guidelines in the 1st post of this thread and follow those.

No worries we are not big on rules. There are only a few critical ones and we'll help you along the way to be in compliance. Once you have a build thread going let us know and we'll put a link to it in this threads 1st post.

Also this is open enrolement until April 30th so if your not exactly ready on Feb 1st no worries there either.

A "FTS Thread" is a Full Tank Shot Thread.

We will create on of these Jan 31st just before midnight. That is the thread where all the official submission photo's (one per month anytime during the current month) get posted. You 1st official submission photo needs to be a dry tank with a household item (to be announced) in that picture. These pictures should be full tank shots as opposed to single coral pictures.

In the mean time create a build thread in the pico forum. Name that thread anything you want. Post your build pictures, your system specs, and your livestock. That thread you will update throughout the year. This way everyone in the contest can check out how your doing and can give some helpful advise if needed about your setup in that thread.

Just read the rules/guidelines in the 1st post of this thread and follow those.

No worries we are not big on rules. There are only a few critical ones and we'll help you along the way to be in compliance. Once you have a build thread going let us know and we'll put a link to it in this threads 1st post.

Also this is open enrolement until April 30th so if your not exactly ready on Feb 1st no worries there either.

Aren't you going to threaten to DQ him if he doesn't follow the rules exactly? Oh wait, thats the other contest. ;) My bad.

We don't use the word "DQ" in this contest. Hopefully with the liberal rules and submission guidelines we will never have to "DQ" anyone.

This is about having fun and building a long term pico tank --- not following rules and getting "DQ"ed

I knew you were just joking.

Not only am I looking at an empty pico I am also looking at a 9g CADlights build that I put on hold for this contests. 2 empty tanks and it's killing me.

Archived