Cultivated Reef

Unofficial Pico Methodology Contest

Growerguy

Anyone else setting looking at a empty tank wishing you could put something alive in it? :closedeyes:

55002-1.jpg

No, I am looking at 7 panes of glass as mine is not even built yet. I will not even start on the 1st as it won't be ready then either. No worries though, I have my 30gal to keep me entertained. I will catch up as I am planning on just using some rock out of my tank. I am going to experiment with a few things on this tank that I have wanted to try out. Will be interesting to me at least.

• Replies 858
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is there any way to still join? I've been out for a few months with a crashed tank and this seems like a good reason to start.

Of course you can still join. :D

Open enrollment until April 30th. Just go back to the 1st post of this page and follow the guidelines. Let us know you are going to enter and we will put your name and build thread in. If your not ready on Fab1st no worries. just be ready before April 30th.

Mine is sitting here with freshwater... an extended leak test... :D

The word "DQ" is disqualified from this contest. :lol::o

Amen brother B)

What kinda sucks I bought 1LB of LR a week ago put it in my 7g minibow and havent seen anykind of life what so ever come from it.

001.jpg

Yea that sort of sucks. Give it some time -- most LR comes back to life after a while. I've even had LR out of the tank for a few weeks and "stuff/things" still came back to life.

No, I am looking at 7 panes of glass as mine is not even built yet. I will not even start on the 1st as it won't be ready then either. No worries though, I have my 30gal to keep me entertained. I will catch up as I am planning on just using some rock out of my tank. I am going to experiment with a few things on this tank that I have wanted to try out. Will be interesting to me at least.

You have a 30g too???

Cheez Dude, stop following me around!!

J/K, my main tank is a 30g too-- http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...6653&st=660

thesmallerthebetter
Please do not comment negatively on our thread in here. We are not talking negative about your thread in ours.

Thank you

i dont mean to intrude, but i don't believe there was any intention to instigate a confrontation, just a few harmless jokes aimed at highlighting the more liberal application of this contest's rules.

Kewl GrowerGuy will get you up in the links in Post #1

But that link is broken or something. Tried to click it and got a forum error.

so i guess i dont know how to put a link in a post the title of the build thread is"my methodology contest build" if that helps at all

i dont mean to intrude, but i don't believe there was any intention to instigate a confrontation, just a few harmless jokes aimed at highlighting the more liberal application of this contest's rules.

+1

Both contests are watching each other. So far you have a great contest going and I hope to watch it through to the end.

And hopefully will see ours through to the end also.

Kewl GrowerGuy will get you up in the links in Post #1

But that link is broken or something. Tried to click it and got a forum error.

I got an error too, but I figured it out. Got you added reef2.5 :happy:

Also I know a couple of you were thinking about joining the contest... If you don't see your name in the first post then message me or reply on here. :D

I read that we have until 30 Jan to enter. I have posted on the FTS my 2.5 tank but I am leaning toward a 5.5 I have, am I allowed to change tanks. Reason for the change is the lighting system I have. It's a Coralife 12in 36w. good light for the tank but having problems with mounting it over the tank and still have the AC50 fuge on the back. Attached is a pic of the 5.5 beside the 2.5

post-31319-1264626334_thumb.jpg

You have until APRIL 30th. You just can't start until Feb 1st, but you can wait until after if you choose. That puts you at a disadvantage, but if thats what you want to do, no one cares. I will not be ready to start mine until like the end of Feb. I am waiting on my drill bits and my tank isn't even together yet. I will be making my own tank and I have cut the glass, but nothing else yet. Bits should be here next week and then I am doing a tank drilling how-to for the club I am in on Feb 6th, then I can silicone it together, wait till it cures and then I can fill with water. Hope that helps, No worries in this contest. Its all just good clean competition. :D Mark

Thanks there are 2 Pico contest starting up, I kind of dropped out of one because of all of the confusion. Hopefully I post my thread in the right contest.

Yep Deep Thief is correct. You can change tanks no problem or run them both if you wanted. :)

You can start a pico anytime after Feb 1st and before April 30th. Such a large time frame was made to help people build up cash after the holidays and use tax returns if they need/want to. The meat of the contest will be the 5 month grow out period.

Thanks there are 2 Pico contest starting up, I kind of dropped out of one because of all of the confusion. Hopefully I post my thread in the right contest.

For this contest all threads will have "Pico Methodology" in the title.

Individual threads do not need that but the contest threads will have that.

The actual Pico Methodology FTS thread for this contest will be started Jan 31st at approx 11:55 PM and will state the item that needs to be in the original dry tank picture. Having 2 contests going at once has caused a little confusion just look for Pico Methodology to know you have this contest.

I had this all laid out nice and the stupid forum software won't let it look like I typed it. Oh well, The two differences are seperated with a "/" hope this helps.

I thought I would do a litttle comparison shopping to try and ease the Pico Contests Confusion.

Pico Methodology Contest/Pico Contest

Purpose-Create the best system for keeping a stable pico reef tank/Create the best looking pico reef tank

Length of contest-1 year with a 5 month static grow out/6 months

Budget-None/ $450 Livestock & $350 Lighting with equipment not counting

Size limits-5.5gal DT & 3gal filtration, these are maximums/Under 5 gallons total

The basic premis to the two contests are this, Pico contest is to see who, in a certain budget, can make the best reef tank. In the methodology contest, the object is to see who can come up with the best system to keep a thriving reef of your choosing. In order to be able to judge this aspect of the contest, there will be a 5 month static grow out of your tank.

In other words, You can't add anything to the tank, livestock wise, for the last 5 months. This will allow everyone to see and judge how well your system grows and keeps corals living and thriving. If half your corals die in the last 5 months, your system wasn't so good. Now we can deduce that that system might not be the best for keeping a good pico system. This will be especially true if a whole bunch of one type don't do too well, and conversly, if a whole bunch of one system do do well, maybe that is the best system for a pico tank.

Both contests are good contests, they are just judging different things and trying to see different end results. Both contests require that you submit a FTS (full tank shot or pic) of your tank in a FTS thread. For the pico contest, this must be done once every two weeks on Sunday, For the methodology contest, a pic is required once every month.

The Methodology Contest has NOT started yet. It will start on Feb 1st and you can join anytime between then and April 30th. The contest will end at the same time so if you join after Feb 1st, you will be at a disadvantage, but if you don't care, neither does anyone else. The 5 month grow out period will be the same for all contestants, Sept 1st, 2010 untill Jan. 31st, 2011.

I hope this has helped some to understand the differences in the two contests that are going on, pretty much at the same time. For more questions about this, the Methodology Contest, ask away and someone will help you. For questions about the Pico Contest, please see that thread and ask those moderators for help. Anything dealing with the Methodology Contest will have that in the title. Cheers, Mark

To bad i can't join, maybe next time. :) Good luck to everyone! i just started my tank too but still waiting on all my supplies and few things to modify.

Archived