Pod Your Reef

Unofficial Pico Methodology Contest

Growerguy

LOL Carnifex and I were just talking about how hard it is to wait... Sounds fine to me.. Tho I wont be ready for a little while. MH went out on my frag tank, dang ballast, so Ive got to spend the money I was going to buy sand and rock with on a new ballast..

Edit: OOoo wait I got a ballast, bulb, and reflector coming from a local for only $45! Whooo hooo!

• Replies 858
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Something stopping you?Get it out!! B)

Thats what I am sayin. Lets go already, go get that 5.5 and lets see what you got. I have a build thread, although there isn't much in it right now. All in due time for me. Like all good things, it comes with age!

man this makes me want to set up my 5.5 again

Dooooo it!

Thats what I am sayin. Lets go already, go get that 5.5 and lets see what you got. I have a build thread, although there isn't much in it right now. All in due time for me. Like all good things, it comes with age!

Haha think you have more in your build thread then me.... I dont even know exactly how Im going to light mine yet. Its been holding freshwater for a couple days now tho! :happy: So at least my silicone job worked!

Dooooo it!

Haha think you have more in your build thread then me.... I dont even know exactly how Im going to light mine yet. Its been holding freshwater for a couple days now tho! :happy: So at least my silicone job worked!

Well thats more than me, I haven't even siliconed yet. :lol: I know, who has the least done on their pico tank? I did just order my pump for it.

Well since 3 days isn't going to make a difference one way or another in a year long contest here's the deal -- since I know some of you are dying to get started.

You will need a dry tank picture with either a coffee cup or a shot glass in the dry tank. Take your picture today if you want.

Sunday Jan 31st at 11:55 pm I will make the FTS thread. You will need to post that dry tank picture in that thread to get you officially started.

I will go over the submission guidelines in that thread. They are very liberal but for the few rules/guidelines we have we do need people to comply. All it amounts to is the initial dry tank picture with coffee cup or shot glass and then one FTS per month submitted anytime within the current month --- what could be easier.

You can submit that initial dry tank picture anytime between Feb 1st and April 30th.

DO NOT post your official submission pictures in this thread -- wait for the FTS thread.

Man you goober! Watching two empty tanks must have been too much twitching for you to take huh!?

I am posting here with the purest intent to get in this contest and the plan to DIY a pico. I'm hoping this post holds me to it. :D

I love the open enrollment idea. Everyone says that you need time and patience in this hobby and you mods are starting this off the right way by displaying that yourselves.

I am posting here with the purest intent to get in this contest and the plan to DIY a pico. I'm hoping this post holds me to it. :D

I love the open enrollment idea. Everyone says that you need time and patience in this hobby and you mods are starting this off the right way by displaying that yourselves.

I figured the relaxed sign up time would give people who aren't quite ready to get started a chance to stabilize things to figure out what they would really like to do. Because this contest is based on sustaining a Pico and the last five months will show if your method is good for keeping a reef going, starting late won't really be a disadvantage at all.

I am such a DA not DQ DA!I was so excited we could start 3 days ahead of time.I flushed the tank out with FW and then added my SW from my holding tank and forgot to take the picture. :blush: Time to take the tank down already.LOL

:haha: I sort of did that for you and now look --- I'm still laughing :haha:

Man you goober! Watching two empty tanks must have been too much twitching for you to take huh!?

Well I still have 2 empty tanks. My contest tank won't be ready for a few weeks. My 9g not for a few months. With the contest tank I think I'm going to use a RKL for a dual stage heat/cool controller. So now I want to somehow mount that in the face of the lamp base with just the display part visible behind a piece of glass. All this means is I can't stain the wood until I get the RKL and I just don't have the extra money right this moment ---- but soon.

If you look up "Reef Patience" in the dictionary you will find a picture of me. B)

Hope to see you in this contest. I think we mods did come up with a good format for a contest. Open enrollment, relaxed rules, 7 months of tweaking and 5 months of grow out. Should make it so everyone gets to see what it really takes to make a long term pico tank.

man this makes me want to set up my 5.5 again

I can hear that 5.5 calling your name all the way over in central GA.

Please Everyone -- Wait for the FTS thread before posting a picture.

Just a couple more days !!!

I'm so excited about the contest I even took a vacation day on Monday so I could stay up late Sunday night and start up the FTS thread. Of course it helps that I have 4 weeks of vacation this year. :happydance:

4 weeks! Lucky! :o

Thank you, and would love for you to join! Want me to add you to the contestant list? :happy:

4 weeks! Lucky! :o

Thank you, and would love for you to join! Want me to add you to the contestant list? :happy:

What are you waiting for, You see they said they want in, put them in already.

Just making sure. :D

I hear ya, I just figured we wanted as many in the contest as possible and if they just need a little nudgeing, I figure we can nudge. ;)

I hear ya, I just figured we wanted as many in the contest as possible and if they just need a little nudgeing, I figure we can nudge. ;)

Nudge/Push/Trip

What ever it takes! :naughtydance:

Works for me. :happy:

We have 21 people so far and I think 5 people have said they are thinking about joining. Plus people have the next 3 months to join up.

Again if anyone wants to join and you dont see your name in the first post of this thread let me know and Ill get you added. Also if Im missing your build thread let me know, it should be linked with your name on the first post.

is there gonna be a "database" of tank threads on this 1st page? if so http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=224049 is me

Yes, there is a "database" of tank threads that are all linked on the first page of this thread. It lists who is in the contest, offically, and has their tank thread link right next to their name. I beleive there will also be a FTS thread started up tomorrow night/Mon morning. Right around Feb 1st. This is where you will post up your once a month FTS pics along with your start up shot. No worries on getting your thread started, if you haven't you still have until April 30th to do so. That is the beauty of open enrollment.

Never started a build thread, what do I need to do. How do I link it?

Go to the main page of the pico reefs section, and start a "new topic." Title it what ever you want but something like, "Gunbeaux's methodology contest tank" or " Gunbeaux's contest tank." Make the thread describing what you will be doing with your tank and what size it is, you know, the low down so we know whats up. If you need ideas on this, just look at some of the other ones listed in the first post of this thread.

Once you have the thread made and posted, hopefully you are using a system on your computer that allows tabbed browsing. You can open multiple web pages at the same time and just click on the different tabs to switch between them. If this is the case, open a new tab to this thread and hit the reply button so you are responding to this thread. At the top of the section you are typing in, next to the smilieys thing is a button that says "insert link" when you mouse over it. Hit this button, and a little thing will appear asking for the url of the link. Go to your first tab where you have your tank thread called up, click on the address bar at the top and when its highlighted, right click with your mouse and hit copy. Now go back to the second tab, where you were typing the response in this thread and in that little link window that came up, put your cursor and right click the mouse and click paste. Now a new little thing will apper and it will ask you what you want to title the link. Make this what ever you want, probably something like "Gunbeaux's tank link." That should do it. If you need any more help, post your ?'s here and someone will answer them. Mark

PS, when you paste the link to your tank thread in the little window that came up, make sure it doesn't have "http://" twice at the begining. If it does, you need to deleate one of them so it looks like a normal address in an address bar. Mark

whoa seriously laid back B) me like, looks like im not scrubbin rocks today *leans back in his chair*

I assume you are refering to the open enrollment and not having to start right away. Having a hard start date makes no sense to me or some of the other mods. (I am not a contest mod, just have talked to them) Its the general concensus that more people will join with the open enrollment, thereby making it a larger contest, thereby making it better. Wait, let me rephrase that, The Best Contest ;) .

The problem with hard start dates is, you have to have a bunch of people who all want to start a new tank at the same time or some have to wait long periods for the starting date. That sucks and you won't get a whole bunch of people to want to start at the same time. It takes time to formulate a plan for tanks. :D The longer you wait to get started the less theoretical time you have for your tank, but the main part of this contest is the 5 month grow out period at the end. The begining is just getting your tank established and running properly. So if you start in April, who cares you just have a little less time to establish your tank.

GrowerGuy must have been lurking around here this morning.

Gunbeaux and danktank both of you have a build thread listed in the index in the 1st post of this thread.

I will also have a similar index on the 1st post of the FTS thread when I start that thread up Sunday night.

Archived