ReefCleaners.org

Unofficial Pico Methodology Contest

Growerguy

• Replies 858
  • Created
  • Last Reply
and i attach a 5.5g sump to my 2.5 and fill the sump 1/2 way? does anything go as long as its sub 5.5g water volume?

No not really, the rules state a 5.5 dry tank volume for the main display and 3 gal dry volume for the sump/HOB/filter.

I am not trying to be a stickler but -- we have very few rules and this was one of them that we are not willing to let slide.

Why not use the 5.5 as the display and the 2.5 as the sump. We used dry volume as the measurement so that nobody could start arguing that rock + sand etc... takes away from the volume. As an alternative you could also go buy another 2.5 for the sump so you would have 2.5 display and 2.5 sump.

At 5.5 DT and 3 gallon sump being 8.5 total that is really stretching the definition of Pico IMHO -- we allow it so that a std AGA 5.5 can be used as a DT.

All this came about so that the display is the main Volume of water in a system and the sump is the lesser volume of water.

im gonna use the 2x2.5, i agree that 8.5 is stretching a PICO now that i think about it. No worries, rules are rules. i wouldnt want to use a 5.5g as the display because i have the perfect light on the way for the 2.5 ;)

When do we have to post the next FTS, I am waiting on my new tank it should be in this week?

One a month, anytime in the month. Thats what the man said. They posted it in the FTS thread last night. Worst case, just repost what you have already, but I would say unless you are shipping by snailmail, you will have your new tank before the end of March. Mark

Just added my empty tank shot... Been busy, and the flexible start time brought out the laziness in me. Excited to finally be rolling with this.

Just added my empty tank shot... Been busy, and the flexible start time brought out the laziness in me. Excited to finally be rolling with this.

Glad to see your still with us. That's a very nice tank should be interesting to see how you outfit it.

Yes glad you're still with us PicoD. Love your tank design.

Glad to see everything is coming along for everyone!

Pico Aquariums e mailed me thursday night and said my tank will be shipped Friday Morning, Should be here Monday or Tuesday will post pics. Need to build a stand on my desk for it but want the tank first to make shure it fits.

Hah!

Oh jeeze I ment JoeD :haha::blush:

Sorry things have been crazy around my parts lately... Spring time in a 90 acre greenhouse is just plain insanity.

On another note Ive been letting my pico just sit without any livestock and Ive got Halimeda poping up!

Oh jeeze I ment JoeD :haha::blush:

Sorry things have been crazy around my parts lately... Spring time in a 90 acre greenhouse is just plain insanity.

On another note Ive been letting my pico just sit without any livestock and Ive got Halimeda poping up!

No worries... I was amused and contemplating a username change :). My tank is still dry, waiting for a piece of granite for the stand... Hopefully wet by the weekend.... using fully cured rock,sand etc... should go quickly once I start.

90 acre green house??? Sounds insane any time of year.

Haha luckily I only have to take care of 10 acres.. Still tho thats over 2 million gallon baskets. The craziness has begun early this year too.

Haha luckily I only have to take care of 10 acres.. Still tho thats over 2 million gallon baskets. The craziness has begun early this year too.

10 acres is still a lot, but I would be heaven on earth for me! Between the winds from Hurricane Ike and the ice storm, my mini-greenhouse barely exists. Last year all my students took home pineapple plants - I think this year they'll get guppies as our young gal must have been quite promiscuous - we had babies last week. :o

Let's have a looksie at your tank and it's new growth.....

well the Barracuda came in just unpacking and looking it over. Very nice worth the money. I am not much of a DIY guy and this has everything done for me. The Coralife 36W 12 light fits just right. I will do a wet test tonight and post pics tomorrow.

Welcome all you new people! :)

Its been a little busy lately but things are starting to level out.

Sorry to hear about your mini greenhouse Amphitrite.. I wish I had a small one of my own but every time I think about building one I get burnt out on plants from work. :P

Archived