Top Shelf Aquatics

Unofficial Pico Methodology Contest

Growerguy

• Replies 858
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Also as one of the final prizes I am thinking .............................

Marine Plants of the Caribbean, A Field Guide From Florida To Brazil ..................................

Since there are a few Caribbean Marco Tanks B) It will kill me to give it up but I am willing as there are some tanks/people more deserving of this book then myself.

Nice!

Nope :P

Between me and John shipping will be paid for ;)

This is a prize for dedication to the Pico Cause in order to help everyone make it to the end. Each Crew will be hand picked by John to match the size and style of Pico tank you have. Details will be forth coming in a PM to everyone as soon as we get the July and then Aug pics submitted so we have a roster of final contestants for the 5 month grow out period.

What a great contest sponsor ... :happydance:omgomgomg:happydance: ... Go ReefCleaners !!!

So, we will be able to add the "Crew" to our picos after the Aug FTS ?

So, we will be able to add the "Crew" to our picos after the Aug FTS ?

Yes you can add the CUC after Aug 31st. We will try for 1st or 2nd week in Sept. Adding CUC after Aug 31st is actually stated in the rules as I quoted below ;)

*Finalized Rules*

No new livestock additions after Aug 31st (only exception is CUC, no replacements of other livestock)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now that the 10g contest has come to an end they had a few prizes left over. Jacobnano and Damsels R Cool are going to donate the $25 gift card to yourreef.com from that contest to be used as a prize for this contest.

Thank You Jacobnano and Damsels R Cool -- Some lucky winner will be looking forward to that nice gift card. :D

Nice!

I figured you would like that Weetabix as it is an awesome guide book for identifying Maco algae and there are a few of you in this contest who are focusing on Macro algae -- a lot of which came from ReefCleaners if I am not mistaken.

I will also donate for a prize a signed addition of Book of Coral Propagation by Anthony Calfo.

It is Volume One and if your name happens to be Charles it would be a little bit nicer prize :haha: but either way still a decent book.

Wow, prizes are flying at this contest from everywhere! All of them seem great & Reefcleaners is the bomb! I have some snails & macros in my tank that came from John.

Tomorrow I'm going on vacation for a few days :happydance:

I will still have access to the internet. On Sunday Morning Aug 1st I will make up the new, official, contestant list for Aug. If you haven't already, please get your July picture submitted before then.

Once I make up the official roster for Aug there is no letting anyone slide. :o

There are still a few really good tank setups --- please don't miss out -- get your pic in early.

Kay guys, today is the last day to submit a FTS for July and remain in the contest, DON'T FORGET!!!

Let's keep the roster full and the Contest Awesomeness going!!

My poor lil Pico is a jumbled mess right now, but I'm still gonna make sure to get a pic up today. :blush:

Well, I'm sorry to say this but I'm dropping out.

1. The tank I'm using is made from such crappy acrylic that every time i lightly clean it, scuffs appear.

2. I need to focus on my nano - Ive been trying to get its algae situation in order.

3. Hardly any time to do number 2 (list number 2...not poop) to begin with.

Its been fun, maybe I'll set something up in the future but hopefully you will at least see some updated pictures of my 20l and now macro covered mantis sump.

Good luck to all of you! One less contestant to worry about now :P

I moved my tank and the silcone holding my LR together gave way and the tank has a leak now,So I had to move everything over to a new 5g tank.

As ro REEFCLEANERS and the sponsors thanks for the support!!!! :)B)

Well, I'm sorry to say this but I'm dropping out.

1. The tank I'm using is made from such crappy acrylic that every time i lightly clean it, scuffs appear.

2. I need to focus on my nano - Ive been trying to get its algae situation in order.

3. Hardly any time to do number 2 (list number 2...not poop) to begin with.

Its been fun, maybe I'll set something up in the future but hopefully you will at least see some updated pictures of my 20l and now macro covered mantis sump.

Good luck to all of you! One less contestant to worry about now :P

Sorry to see you go Justin but I do understand about having too many fish tanks in the fire so to speak. Good luck on the 20l and we hope to see you setup another Pico in the future.

With all tanks accounted for we still have 15 contestant tanks left in the running so we only lost 2 this past month. ;)

As a quick reminder:

When posting your August picture, keep in mind that this picture will be used in the side by side comparison when voting comes for best Pico Methodology. Because of this try and get a really good picture posted with a cleaned tank.

Also keep in mind that the Aug picture locks in your livestock for the grow out period and only livestock in the Aug picture is allowed for the rest of the contest. If there is a coral or invert/fish not seen in the picture please let us know when you do the post.

Good thing I hesitated... there's a bunch of coral I've got coming in the post I want to put in but gotta wait for weather to improve before they can be sent... <_<

I think the Pico Lamp is good on the coral end. Growth has been slow but it's there. I would like to get a small shrimp so the tank has something moving around in it. Also it could really use a small lighting upgrade (and circulation upgrade for that matter) but I don't think I can get them in before the end of Aug.

As a reminder -- after the end of Aug no equipment can be installed or upgraded. You will be allowed to replace any defective equipment but it would need to be with something of similar specs. So get your final touches for equipment tweaking done while you still can ;)

Lets talk about voting categories.

The rules as stated and a few posts that followed have 2 different categories.

Best Overall Pico Methodology -- Aug 2010 submission pic show next to Jan 2011 submission pic so people can vote on what tank they think had the best methodology for maintaining a pico tank. 1st, 2nd, & 3rd place prizes prizes.

Most Innovative -- 2 pics submitted in Jan 2011 highlighting the innovative features of your pico setup. 1st, 2nd, & 3rd place prizes.

These 2 categories were the main thrust of the contest from the beginning. I would also like to add 2 more categories.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Best Macro Algae Display -- 2 pics submitted in Jan 2011 highlighting you macro algae. 1 prize only -- a book -- Marine Plants of the Caribbean, A Field Guide From Florida To Brazil

People Choice Award -- 1 pic submitted in Jan 2011 of any aspect you wish to highlight -- make it the best pic of the best "item" your pico has to offer. 1 Prize only. Could be a FTS shot, equipment shot, or maybe a closeup coral shot -- This would be a category where photography skills might actually count for something.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway those are my thoughts for categories for voting. I kept the prizes to a minimum since at most there will only be 15 contestants left in Jan 2011.

Please let me know what you think of this. Any other specific categories you would like to see etc.....

animalmaster6

I love the Peoples Choice Award and the Macro Award. Great Ideas C_K :happy:

Edit: What about an award for the most life in a set up?

Edit: What about an award for the most life in a set up?

TY for the response AM -- most life in a setup or maybe per gallon -- will have to think about this.

I was hoping to get a little more input from the contestants -- good or bad input doesn't matter.

I wonder -- Is silence consent ?? I know growerguy and myself started all this but I am always willing to listen to other peoples ideas and suggestions.

Sorry for not commenting more.

I've been kinda aquatically burned out lately, so I haven't been as active on N-R.

I think you had some good ideas, I will try to think about it more.

thesmallerthebetter

i think ur dead on bro.

im just trying to get everything hammered out on the tank before august. i tweaked the lighting a tad, added BUNCHES of new corals, with more comming....and thats saying alot for such a tiny space :P but i want to have a very diverse ecosystem to be able to show the validity of my micro-system :)

again, i think uve done a wonderful job orchestrating this :) even with the drop outs its still a majorly sucessful endevor, and i am very proud that my humble tank can be part of this contest.

PS. ill be shooting you a pm shortly (in a month or so) to discuss a possible prize idea of mine that i think just about everyone involved in the contest would have fun with :)

like the ideas. igot a question about the aug. fts do we post alist with the pic on the fts thread or a list on our build thread maybe i missed that some where.

im just trying to get everything hammered out on the tank before august. i tweaked the lighting a tad, added BUNCHES of new corals, with more comming....and thats saying alot for such a tiny space :P but i want to have a very diverse ecosystem to be able to show the validity of my micro-system :)

I think we all are just trying for the last min tweaks. I think I have my corals squared away. I wanted to get some type of small shrimp for some movement but haven't found something appropriate yet. Will give the LFS one more run next weekend I think.

again, i think uve done a wonderful job orchestrating this :) even with the drop outs its still a majorly sucessful endevor, and i am very proud that my humble tank can be part of this contest.

PS. ill be shooting you a pm shortly (in a month or so) to discuss a possible prize idea of mine that i think just about everyone involved in the contest would have fun with :)

TY but I truly believe it's the great contestants who have stuck with this that is making this a successful contest. I too am proud to have a tank in a contest with all the great Pico's this is producing.

I'm sure whatever prize idea you have it will be a winner and look forward to the PM.

like the ideas. igot a question about the aug. fts do we post alist with the pic on the fts thread or a list on our build thread maybe i missed that some where.

I have been wrestling with this question myself.

Lets have everyone post a simple list in their Aug picture post in the Pico Methodology FTS thread. Just one post containing the FTS and the list. Nothing fancy just your FTS and a simple list.

List the corals, fish, inverts (excluding CUC), and Macro Algae.

I also think I will allow contestants to edit their Aug post (pic and list) until Aug 31st, 11:59 pm (according to the edit time stamp) Editing the post after Aug 31st would not be appropriate.

Good idea!

I was going to suggest it appropriate to edit your August FTS until the end of the month.

Otherwise, the list sounds good.

I think the big part is the methodology winner and the innovation winner. Even if your tank doesn't work out, I think being rewarded for new designs is a big part.

Otherwise I fully agree with the people's choice award. I think that brings a good deal of pride to the winner, knowing that the community agrees they have a stunning tank.

Keep up the good work contestants!

Ok I added a Hawke's Pico Lamp post for Aug. So far I have my livestock listed and that should give everyone an idea of what I was thinking for a livestock list. Will edit the post later on and add my FTS pic.

Archived