Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Unofficial Pico Methodology Contest

Growerguy

On our stocking list, are we just listing species, or quantities also ? Polyp count? I ask, because I just added a stoopid number of rics. My tank is not even going to be in the running, but want to play by the rules. Also, do we have to list macros??? I've a few that I've not identified yet.

• Replies 858
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do your best to accurately account for the livestock in your tank. We are not counting individual polyps just listing the corals. Macros are needed in case you get in the running for the Macro Algae prize. You never know what your tank will look like in Jan. If your not sure of the type of Macro list it as unknown.

Good sir, I've just been informed by a supplier that some designer Zoanthids I ordered back in early May are actually ready to be dispatched now. Now we hit the bad point: I have no tank other than my pico for them to go in (they were ordered for the pico initially thinking that there should've been more than sufficient lead time to them going into the tank). They should arrive probably Monday next week. Being that I had ordered them so long ago specifically for the pico and I've got nowhere else for them, am I able to put them in my tank? I know this goes against the rules of the static grow-out but I really don't have a whole lot of other options at this point.

Never a dull moment reefing eh?

Lets see what the other contestants think about this before I state my opinion/decision.

So contestants, please state your opinion one way or the other on this within the next day or so. If you would rather not state a public opinion PM me.

If this is coming down to a majority contestant vote, then I vote no problem!

I understand all about shipping delays, and the implications of them.

I say if you list the zoas, and then just include them in all your future shots, then I have no problem with that.

im a little mixed on how i feel about that i mean we did have nine months to get it together. but i say bring on the competition i vote yes

I say if you list the zoas, and then just include them in all your future shots, then I have no problem with that.

Let him put them in there, obviously circs beyond his control and not some mad scheme to sneak stuff in.

bring on the competition i vote yes

I agree also, put them in -- add them to your list -- keep the same Aug FTS -- we will see them in Sept.

Really this is about having a successful Pico and at this point the contestants who are left are squarely at the 7th month mark. I can't see how a few days will make a difference in the final 5 months and you did get this request in before the Aug deadline.

So when are we supposed to submit the Macroalgae pic?

I hope not now cause I just pruned everything way back, since we're sposta show how well we can grow stuff and all.

Also, is the contest through Jan. 1 or Jan. 31?

Contest runs through Jan 31st with the categories and guide lines as follows:

Best Overall Pico Methodology -- Aug 2010 submission pic show next to Jan 2011 submission pic so people can vote on what tank they think had the best methodology for maintaining a pico tank. 1st, 2nd, & 3rd place prizes prizes.

Most Innovative -- 2 pics submitted in Jan 2011 highlighting the innovative features of your pico setup. 1st, 2nd, & 3rd place prizes.

Best Macro Algae Display -- 2 pics submitted in Jan 2011 highlighting you macro algae. 1 prize only -- a book -- Marine Plants of the Caribbean, A Field Guide From Florida To Brazil

People Choice Award -- 1 pic submitted in Jan 2011 of any aspect you wish to highlight -- make it the best pic of the best "item" your pico has to offer. 1 Prize only. Could be a FTS shot, equipment shot, or maybe a closeup coral shot -- This would be a category where photography skills might actually count for something.

Wendy and JoeD where are you ???

As always I won't be able to make the new contestant roster up until after work tomorrow as I have to go to bed now since I get up at 4:45 am ;)

Wendy and JoeD where are you ???

As always I won't be able to make the new contestant roster up until after work tomorrow as I have to go to bed now since I get up at 4:45 am ;)

Here :)

Just acclimated the crew, dipped a few additions, and turned the time back on my RKL so I can get a pic with the lights on...

Here :)

Just acclimated the crew, dipped a few additions, and turned the time back on my RKL so I can get a pic with the lights on...

Anxiously waiting....

I really hope Wendy makes the deadline, she's got an awesome tank.

Awesome, other than everyone who had already stated they dropped out, we all made it!

I'm excited. The contest has reached that perfect point where the amount of tanks to follow isn;t so overwhelming and now I can actually read everyones threads.

And WOW do some of these tanks look amazing. I don't know what rock NORK was hiding under, but his FTS for august blew me away! That tank looks great!

And so do all the others. I can only hope mine grows out with some great miracle to even be competitive! :o:o:o

I vote add it.

I wish I could get a good picture of mine!!My camrea or I suck I just dont know which one of us yet.

:unsure:

What camera are you using?

Thanks a lot for the support guys :) I just got back in contact with the supplier and he said he's gonna send them first thing Monday (overnight shipping) so I should have them Tuesday AM. Though to be honest, I'm not entirely sure what I even ordered anymore... :eek:

Also, cheers BigRok, I've been hiding on a rock... in the middle of the sea... :lol:

Thanks a lot for the support guys :) I just got back in contact with the supplier and he said he's gonna send them first thing Monday (overnight shipping) so I should have them Tuesday AM. Though to be honest, I'm not entirely sure what I even ordered anymore... :eek:

Also, cheers BigRok, I've been hiding on a rock... in the middle of the sea... :lol:

A Big Rock. :D

Congratulations to the 12 finalists that made it to the grow out period. I too am very excited about this and can't wait to see how everyone's tank progresses.

Wendy you had me scared. I knew JoeD was lurking around and going to post but hadn't herd from you and was really hoping you made it. Glad you did ;)

By the end of the weekend I will send everyone out a PM in regards to shipping address for sponsors and another item etc.... please respond to the PM as soon as possible so that I can get a few items squared away.

Congratulations to the 12 finalists that made it to the grow out period. I too am very excited about this and can't wait to see how everyone's tank progresses.

Wendy you had me scared. I knew JoeD was lurking around and going to post but hadn't herd from you and was really hoping you made it. Glad you did ;)

I'm glad I made it too. You all are so supportive & keep me motivated! I'm also happy that it's down to a dozen tanks so that it's easier to keep up with everyone's progress.

Archived