ReefCleaners.org

Unofficial Pico Methodology Contest

Growerguy

c_k_kuehne

Well I did give every one about an extra 22 hours before I posted the Official July contestant roster just in case there was somebody who forgot at the last moment.

I strongly urge people to NOT wait until the end of the month to post a pic. Post early and get it over with. Then nothing to worry about for the rest of the month.

• Replies 858
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry I had to drop out I am sitting in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico 23 mile off the Mississippi Coast building sand berms to stop the Oil.. Don't have much time to do anything and to me this is a little more inportant, Sorry But I will follow along and route for the other contestants

Yes more important, thanks for helping the gulf coast.

Well I did give every one about an extra 22 hours before I posted the Official July contestant roster just in case there was somebody who forgot at the last moment.

I strongly urge people to NOT wait until the end of the month to post a pic. Post early and get it over with. Then nothing to worry about for the rest of the month.

If we post a pic early and then take one on the last day of the month that we like better, can we edit our original pic?

As long as it's before the end of the month deadline?

i dont think you can edit it on the FTS thread, but you can in your build thread :). thats what i do anyway.

c_k_kuehne
If we post a pic early and then take one on the last day of the month that we like better, can we edit our original pic?

As long as it's before the end of the month deadline?

The only real months that count for voting are Aug 2010, and Jan 2011. Those two months will be used for side by side comparison to see how much progress was made during the grow out period. I am trying to work out a parallel submission idea for those 2 months so that when it comes time to vote we can have a nice voting thread with pictures. I basically have it worked out in my head and will post more about this towards the end of July when Aug. is just around the corner.

Any months other then those 2 listed above (8/2010 & 1/2011) I feel you could change your pics at will during the month as long as you have a pic submitted for the month.

c_k_kuehne

TY Weetabix now I have a grasp on what I need to do to get the pictures in the voting thread like I want them. It was staring me in the face all the time it just took your post to get the brain juices flowing.

• 3 weeks later...

hi.....

regarding display.... just to clear a minor concern.

The MH has warped my "sump/fuge" cover into a complete mess. Poor design on my part, not the builders fault. I'm having him build a new, hopefully better design. If I use the top of the lid for terrestrial growth, does that move it into the realm of display???

Not wanting to muddy the waters, but rules/contests can get err/ummm interesting.

hi.....

regarding display.... just to clear a minor concern.

The MH has warped my "sump/fuge" cover into a complete mess. Poor design on my part, not the builders fault. I'm having him build a new, hopefully better design. If I use the top of the lid for terrestrial growth, does that move it into the realm of display???

Not wanting to muddy the waters, but rules/contests can get err/ummm interesting.

Well let me give you Hawke's Pico Lamp as an example. The wood and the design of the hood itself has warped. It sucks :angry: :angry: :angry:

Sometime after Aug. I will rebuild the hood. I will keep the same "guts/lighting/fan" and just rebuild the wooden part itself. It will look the same with just a slightly modified design to keep it from warping again. This is just replacing a defective part (warped hood) without changing the basic lighting design.

If the MH warped your design then you have till Aug submission to do whatever. After your Aug submission you could change the basic hood design as long as you kept the original MH setup.

Does any of this make sense :P

As long as the rebuild is fixing a basic broken piece and not significantly changing the "working" part then all is ok under the rules.

Just to clarify -- changing/improving/replacing/upgrading, anything is OK until you submit your Aug pic. After that then only replacing Broken/defective items with similar items is acceptable.

Well, let me rephrase the question.... If I have plants growing on top of the lid, does that make the fuge/sump part of the display??? i.e am I out of bounds regarding display size?

Well, let me rephrase the question.... If I have plants growing on top of the lid, does that make the fuge/sump part of the display??? i.e am I out of bounds regarding display size?

Gotta say I would really like to see a pic of this......

Plants growing on top of the lid sounds more like a "top lid" refugium or dare I say "Algae Turf Scrubber" :o --- but yea a pic would help us visualize :haha: . All sounds good to me -- either way anything goes until you submit your Aug FTS pic (assuming you you have your July pic in on time and are still in the contest for Aug)

Gotta say I would really like to see a pic of this......

Picture this.... I'll try to do a CAD mockup tomorrow.

Lid as originally designed, with 1-1 1/2" riser added on top and capped ..... Access from back for tightening nuts on probes/float switch. Clean look black acrylic top for the fuge.... Hides stuff. Now, add a 1-1/2" rim on top of that to hold soil/substrate.... maybe a trickle of water from the sump... small waterfall/drain.

No increased display volume, but lottsa area for terrestrial/semi-aquatic plants.

Top of fuge essentially becomes part of the display with zero h2o volume added.

Long. Make sense?

Sounds like a type of turf scrubber to me -- all is good -- glad to see what that type of design will do in a pico environment -- this is the "Pico Methodology Contest" right ?? Trying out differnt Methodolgies to see what works the best ;)

:haha:

Survivor.... 'nuff said :)

Carry on...

Should we rename this contest "Survivor of the Smallest --- Pico Island" :wacko: LOL

Just got done talking to John from ReefCleaners :D

He is willing to sponsor this contest --- not as an end prize --- but as a prize (cleanup crew) for everyone who makes the Aug pic/into the grow out period. That way everyone gets a prize from John and his cleanup crews helps everyone along the way get to the end of the contest.

John at ReefCleaners -- a top notch sponsor who is willing to help everyone succeed not just reward the winner.

Just got done talking to John from ReefCleaners :D

He is willing to sponsor this contest --- not as an end prize --- but as a prize (cleanup crew) for everyone who makes the Aug pic/into the grow out period. That way everyone gets a prize from John and his cleanup crews helps everyone along the way get to the end of the contest.

John at ReefCleaners -- a top notch sponsor who is willing to help everyone succeed not just reward the winner.

WOW! I know John is awesome to deal with, but, well..... WOW!

WOW! I know John is awesome to deal with, but, well..... WOW!

Exactly, WOW.

John has already played quite a large part in making my Pico as awesome as it is right now.

animalmaster6

Jonh is the BOMB!!

He's even sponsoring my contest! (thanks again :D)

BTW- The contest is going really well guys! Excellent tanks!

So then we just pay for shipping?

Nope :P

Between me and John shipping will be paid for ;)

This is a prize for dedication to the Pico Cause in order to help everyone make it to the end. Each Crew will be hand picked by John to match the size and style of Pico tank you have. Details will be forth coming in a PM to everyone as soon as we get the July and then Aug pics submitted so we have a roster of final contestants for the 5 month grow out period.

Exactly, WOW.

John has already played quite a large part in making my Pico as awesome as it is right now.

Also as one of the final prizes I am thinking .............................

Marine Plants of the Caribbean, A Field Guide From Florida To Brazil ..................................

Since there are a few Caribbean Marco Tanks B) It will kill me to give it up but I am willing as there are some tanks/people more deserving of this book then myself.

Archived