Pod Your Reef

Unofficial Pico Methodology Contest

Growerguy

Well things are sort of looking better (health wise -- not tank wise). With all your encouragement I will try and pick it up for Nov. --- I feel much better today then the last 3 weeks. The tank is still up and running but just barely. Now that I am starting to think straight I will see what I can do over the next week or so.

Thank you all for the support. Will be back in a few days.

• Replies 858
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well things are sort of looking better (health wise -- not tank wise). With all your encouragement I will try and pick it up for Nov. --- I feel much better today then the last 3 weeks. The tank is still up and running but just barely. Now that I am starting to think straight I will see what I can do over the next week or so.

Thank you all for the support. Will be back in a few days.

Very glad to hear of some improvement.

Tbh, I'm kinda in the same boat as you.

Due to some difficult life circumstances, my Pico has been very neglected as well.

I've been extremely discouraged about it and came close to pulling out this month, but forced myself to post a pic anyway.

Glad you're hanging in there ck and I hope you continue to see improvement.

:grouphug: It's so nice that everyone helps to encourage everyone else!!!!

& guys thanx for the feed back on the flatworms. I do have FWE,

but was scared to use it in the pico, I may give it a try this weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok well it looks like I am out of the contest unfortunately. We moved from NY to NC and in the move with some issues we had here and the weather etc etc the tank inhabitants died so now it has to be started all over. I was enjoying being in the contest and wish luck to the rest of the contestants, so sorry I will not be with you all.

Ok well it looks like I am out of the contest unfortunately. We moved from NY to NC and in the move with some issues we had here and the weather etc etc the tank inhabitants died so now it has to be started all over. I was enjoying being in the contest and wish luck to the rest of the contestants, so sorry I will not be with you all.

Noway!

Ugh, that sucks.

You were def a frontrunner in this contest IMO.

That sucks, hopefully the move was good ( and to coastal NC :))

Keep us updated on the restart.... it was great looking, I'm sure the next incarnation will be better.

Thanks a lot guys, I loved that tank too! But I will have it up and running again in about 2 days. Been so busy here I haven't had any time. But what I didn't tell you all before because it didn't pertain to this contest is I lost ALL my corals from my 50 gal, some that I had for over 3 years. Now that was thoroughly depressing! I could just cry. Half my fish from that tank died too. Guess this move was just bad luck as far as the tanks go :(.

Other than that the new place is great lol. And no Joe, not coastal NC, I'm on the west side.

And no Joe, not coastal NC, I'm on the west side.

Oh well, sorry about the whole west side thing :), I can only imagine how you feel about the losses... personally had a small issue recently. When you are back up and running, let me know.... UPS MD to NC is quick... I'd be happy to send you some frags.

Thanks a lot guys, I loved that tank too! But I will have it up and running again in about 2 days. Been so busy here I haven't had any time. But what I didn't tell you all before because it didn't pertain to this contest is I lost ALL my corals from my 50 gal, some that I had for over 3 years. Now that was thoroughly depressing! I could just cry. Half my fish from that tank died too. Guess this move was just bad luck as far as the tanks go :(.

Other than that the new place is great lol. And no Joe, not coastal NC, I'm on the west side.

You might not be far from me then.

Asheville is a 2.5 hr drive from me, and my SIL and her family live there.

I really like NC, I hope you end up liking it as much.

Very sorry to hear about all of your losses. :(:grouphug:

Yeah actually I am probably not far from you Weet. I would say we are about a hour or so away from Asheville would be my guess but I would have to check to make sure. We are like south east from Charlotte but not by much.

I am sure I will like it once things are settled and away. When I can actually relax I am sure it will be nice lol.

Thanks a lot Joe, I really appreciate it. Hopefully your recent issue wasn't too bad.

More a serious scare than anything, but it really got me thinking about the tightrope we walk sometimes.

The offer stands on the frags... A few local friends try to share with each other... It kind of allows us to "bank" frags for each other in the event of something bad happening... A guy that helped me get started had an unfortunate bleaching event and lost a bunch of stuff.... I was able to get him back some frags from the colonies he lost.. That's the way it should work IMO :) good luck with getting settled.

If we could find a way to support my habits, we would relocate to Hatteras in a heartbeat.

More a serious scare than anything, but it really got me thinking about the tightrope we walk sometimes.

The offer stands on the frags... A few local friends try to share with each other... It kind of allows us to "bank" frags for each other in the event of something bad happening... A guy that helped me get started had an unfortunate bleaching event and lost a bunch of stuff.... I was able to get him back some frags from the colonies he lost.. That's the way it should work IMO :) good luck with getting settled.

If we could find a way to support my habits, we would relocate to Hatteras in a heartbeat.

Well thats good it was only a scare. I guess I never thought about how sensitive these things are because through everything my tank did well. Well my pico always did amazing but I meant more the 50 with all the corals. Even when the 20 gal I had everything in busted and I had to transfer it all to the 50 quick, everything lived with no hitch. So to lose it all the way I did sucks.

And like you say, I like the sharing idea. I had planned when we moved to frag a lot of my stuff, was just gonna buy a dremel and do it for the first time ever since I had to move them anyway. Well so much for that huh? But I am all for giving stuff away when I got it.

In fact lol, the friend who helped us move has a saltwater tank but no corals and I had told him if he just replaced his light and stuff I could frag him a bunch of my corals for his tank. So much for that, now neither of us have anything lol.

• 2 weeks later...

This kinda sucks!I have been coraless for the last 3 months,because I pulled them from lack of water changes and they werent looking good.I started doing water changes and now I can put them back in there.Owell only 2 more months then I will put them back in. :lol:

you can't put them back? maybe c_k can make an exception for you, I dont think you can win with a rock tank, you need a reef tank lol.

I know I wont be winning anything,But it sure would be nice to see something other then crabs in the tank.It doesnt matter to me.I just want to be able to say it was running for a year.lol

I know I am not in the contest anymore since my tank crashed and had to reset it back (now mines a rock tank too lol, with a lone pistol). But I think if they were in the tank and you pulled them out for a short time, you can put them back. Oh wait, maybe that doesn't make much sense. Ok I am going back to shutting up now. I just miss being in the contest.

Thanks Newman, I appreciate it! The worst part is not being in the contest anymore, tanks can be rebuilt :) If I don't try to smile about it, I'll cry lol.

I have thought about dropping out to restock the tank but I just havent done it.I has been a long road just to drop out even if I have nothing to show. :mellow: I can just wait till the end mabey I can win for going slow and takeing my time. :P So I can say everyone should wait 1 year before adding corals to a pico. ;)

Archived