SaltCritters.com

Deep Thief's 5.45gal Flatback Hex

Deep Thief

Well, I figured I had better start my tank thread, so here it is. Not much to look at now. I will update as it progresses. Only a couple of pics. I will be starting my tank later than Feb 1st. I am about to order drill bits and will be doing a DIY tank drilling demonstration for a club on Feb 6th. Then I have to put it together and paint and lots of other things. With that in mind, I would love to have water running by the end of Feb. That is the shoot for date at least. Maybe we can eek it out a little sooner. No worries as I am probably just going to suck up some water and rock out of my 30gal reef so it will be an instant cycle, or really close to it. On with the pics.

I sat there one night trying to come up with some tank designs that I liked. I had to calculate out each one to be sure they didn't go over the rule of DT less than 5.5gallons. These four designs are what I came up with. These are the footprints of the DT only. The plan is for an AIO tank running a media rack and a small fuge.

footprint%20options.jpg

So I call the wife in and let her pick which she likes from the four possibles. She picks the one in the lower right, the widest, wise choice. I was kinda torn between that one and the penninsula style one. Anyways, thats the one she liked so thats the one it will be. I sat there and made a glass cut list off the footprint cutout and proceeded to cut my glass. I then dryfitted it, using duct tape to make sure all was well.

tank%20glass%20dryfit.jpg

DOH!

Well as you can see from the pic above, I didn't account for the AIO back filter chambers like I had originally planned. The footprint cutout really screwed me. Well, lets call a spade a spade, I screwed myself when I forgot the back chambers for the AIO. Damn did I feel like a dumba**. So on with the new plan. *Uhm, Dickie V voice* We are going, SUMP, on the pico, BABY! *Uhm*.

pico%20sump.jpg

Thats all I have for now. I will update as time goes on. I am thinking that I will be doing my first LED experimenting with this tank. Should be interesting. Mark

Thats all I have for now. I will update as time goes on. I am thinking that I will be doing my first LED experimenting with this tank. Should be interesting. Mark

Oooo fun fun. Next time around I may have to cut up my own glass. Makes for a lot more options when it comes to size and shape.

I'm going to do a DIY LED setup also. I should be getting my heatsink and LED's in the next couple of days. Yay for working for FedEx and shipping discounts! I probably would never have tried out LED's without Evil's write up on this site.

Oooo fun fun. Next time around I may have to cut up my own glass. Makes for a lot more options when it comes to size and shape.

I'm going to do a DIY LED setup also. I should be getting my heatsink and LED's in the next couple of days. Yay for working for FedEx and shipping discounts! I probably would never have tried out LED's without Evil's write up on this site.

Definately does open up possibilites when you can make your own shape. I had to do that for my 30gal sump as I was cramped for space in my small stand.

As for the LED's, I still have a few questions I need to ask to make sure I have it half way figured out. I need to talk to Evil. I am thinking about trying to get in on that LED group buy that is going on in the classified section. It ends on Jan 30 so I have to get my crap together soon. We shall see. Yes I do like Evil's write up, but I do wish he would write the last section, "Putting it all together" as I think that would answer the remaining questions I have.

Kewl looking tank. It's OK no AIO now you have a sump. Some things happen for a reason.

I am hoping, I do think this will make for a more complete contest as now all the major filter systems will have some representation in the contest. As can be seen by the entries, we will also have a few "oddballs" in the filter dept as well. Really will make for some diversity.

i don't like AIOs that much. They take up too much space for the filters and you get cheated on display space. I love the shape

Thanks, I do like it also. I was going to do a plain hex tank but decided I could better utilize space by making my own. When I was going to do the AIO, I would have had to "cut" the back section off and that section would have had slanted sides. This would have cramped that section rather badly. That and cramped my style. :lol:

Looks nice. I just put silicone on my first ever DIY tank last night. Had a small leak but should all be good now. Actually get more fulfillment out of building a tank then buying one.

Anyways I like the half hex design. Should make for some interesting view points.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Deep Thief

OK everyone, here is an update, of sorts. I have changed tanks. I am still using this one but as a second tank in the contest. This tank is now going to be a 5.5 regular tank. Here is the pic.

ParkAve-April.jpg

Archived