Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Aquabacs' 50 Gallon Azooxanthellae Tank build

Aquabacs

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My Ellerkeldia rubra has some appetite! I came home from work today and it a large bulge in its stomach...it was 3, Apogon parvulus. He is now king of the tank!

Mike

Looks great Mike! I wish I had your patience. How do you like the layout and space in the cabinet? I was looking at making this my next build, but I dont know if there would be enough space down there for the sump, the top off, a TLF reactor, a vertex zeovit reactor, and a calcium reactor. Man, now that I typed everything out it sounds ridiculous.

Looks great Mike! I wish I had your patience. How do you like the layout and space in the cabinet? I was looking at making this my next build, but I dont know if there would be enough space down there for the sump, the top off, a TLF reactor, a vertex zeovit reactor, and a calcium reactor. Man, now that I typed everything out it sounds ridiculous.

Thank you very much! To squeeze all that in would be tight. The Vertex Zeo reactor would fit in the sump if it was the 1.5L one and there were no bubble traps in the sump. I have been talking with Claude at Fauna Marin about making a custom size Zeomatic 2 and having it shipped over from Germany. The calcium reactor would most likely have to be run outside the cabinet. If you dont want to do that, you could set up a 2 part doser from ESV. It is relatively easy to set up and you could fit it in the sump area. I use ESV 2-part for almost 10 years with no issues.

Mike

Thank you very much! To squeeze all that in would be tight. The Vertex Zeo reactor would fit in the sump if it was the 1.5L one and there were no bubble traps in the sump. I have been talking with Claude at Fauna Marin about making a custom size Zeomatic 2 and having it shipped over from Germany. The calcium reactor would most likely have to be run outside the cabinet. If you dont want to do that, you could set up a 2 part doser from ESV. It is relatively easy to set up and you could fit it in the sump area. I use ESV 2-part for almost 10 years with no issues.

Mike

Hmm, I figured that is what you would say. That is why I built my stand that I use now. There is a good chance that I will do that again. The zeomatic is awesome, let me know how that works out for you. The vertex has good reviews, but I think it looks kind of cheap. How do the vortechs work for you? I use one MP40W, and my plan is to get another so I have one on each side of the overflow on short pulse mode. I was going to see about either having it built 4" taller, or 30X30X24. I want the extra height for the wave. My plan is minimalistic with SPS only. Could you take another pic of the inside of the stand? Sorry for all the questions. I am just trying to prepare, and keep everything that I can use later. Thanks!

Perry

Hmm, I figured that is what you would say. That is why I built my stand that I use now. There is a good chance that I will do that again. The zeomatic is awesome, let me know how that works out for you. The vertex has good reviews, but I think it looks kind of cheap. How do the vortechs work for you? I use one MP40W, and my plan is to get another so I have one on each side of the overflow on short pulse mode. I was going to see about either having it built 4" taller, or 30X30X24. I want the extra height for the wave. My plan is minimalistic with SPS only. Could you take another pic of the inside of the stand? Sorry for all the questions. I am just trying to prepare, and keep everything that I can use later. Thanks!

Perry

Perry, I will try to take another pic of inside the stand on Sunday. The MP40W is stronge enough for the tank, I keep mine on 50% on reefcrest mode. I dont need to run my MP10, it is almost too much with the Tunze return pump and all the Vortechs going on at the same time. With SPS it would be plenty also. Minimalistic is awesome! Find a few corals that you like and grow them out. I am a big fan of deepwater tables. A set up with a few tables and a ton of Apogon Parvulus or Aioliops mesastigma would look sweet!

Mike

Today, picked up a centrogenys vaigiensi. It is an interesting fish, it is actually false scorpionfish. It belongs to the Family Serranidae. True scorpionfishes belong to the Family Scorpaenidae. Unlike scorpionfishes, the centrogenys vaigiensi does not have spines on its head or venom glands.

Mike

wow, very cool. Never heard of this fish before! It's another predator I assume?

:D

Thank you

Some of the most interesting fish are the one's that you dont know are there. It is definitely a predator and not small fish or shrimp friendly.

Mike

:D

Thank you

Some of the most interesting fish are the one's that you dont know are there. It is definitely a predator and not small fish or shrimp friendly.

Mike

^Nothing like a good surprise.

IMG_5119.jpg

IMG_5122.jpg

I figure it was time to share this coral with everyone. This is one of the oldest Azoo corals I own and probably my favorite.

Mike

Today, 30 years ago, on February 18th my father helped me set up my first saltwater aquarium and been hook on this hobby ever since. It seems like yesterday, when we set that Metaframe tank up and he gave a pair of seahorses he bred. They were beautiful, I would stare at them for hours, but my father made sure he taught me the responsibility of keeping them. It is amazing on how much this hobby has changed over the years but one this that hasn't, the passion of keeping fish & corals.

Mike

wow, sounds like you have an awesome dad :)

Thank you!

That sun coral is spectacular. Is that the branching kind?

Congrats on the anniversary!

Thank you. It is actually a type of branching Dendrophyllia.

what is the common name of that grouper? and i want an FTS. :happy:

Do you mean the centrogenys vaigiensi? I have to work on the FTS, I wanted to take it with my SLR not my point an shoot camera but I can see what I can do this weekend

Mike

Thank you. It is actually a type of branching Dendrophyllia.

Oops, my bad. I should have noticed that... It's pretty nice. Where did you get it?

Oops, my bad. I should have noticed that... It's pretty nice. Where did you get it?

I picked it up few years ago from a friend who imports corals out in San Diego. It came in a Aussie shipment.

Mike

Archived