Innovative Marine Aquariums

Aquabacs' 50 Gallon Azooxanthellae Tank build

Aquabacs

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply
IMG_4923.jpg

I love the rimless tank. Wish I had done a bit more research before jumping into my Nano. I really prefer that look.

On the rockwork - Very cool and very different. It's great to see a change from the typical rockscapes. I'm also looking forward to seeing this mature.

westcoastreefer84
The visual look I an looking to achieve is shadowy and not over lit. So most likely I will not add anymore lights. Aquascaping is just as important as your aquarium husbandry and I believe aquarium lighting is more often over looked in aquascaping. With limiting the lights used, you can create visual drama in the aquarium by creating focal points and shadows.

Mike

Totally agree with that. Creating a natural enviroment is very important. The eco-systems where nps live are very diverse in lighting. You must pay a lot of credit to LED technology though. Up until now you had to rely soley on aquascaping to create shadows and accents. The spot lights compliment your system extremely well. I can only imagine the shimmer you get in person. I also run a number of LEDs, and i find the colors second to none.

Beautiful start and great choice on equip thus far!

I think the spotlights bring out a very dramatic look to your unique aquascape. Looking forward to seeing more updates :)

Thank you all!

Hey Mike, I checked out Aquaroche rock and it looks awesome! Where on earth did you buy yours though? It looks like they are located in the UK...

http://www.aquaroche.fr/gb/

If you contact Aquarium Specialty you can purchase through them.

Mike

The Crinoid pictured is 2 years old and I also have a small green one now for almost a year.

My current feeding schedule for my 24. If will be adjusted for the 50.

Daily

Using a fishmate auto feeder, feed dry into a feeding ring, Ultra Seafan, Ultra Clam, Ultramin F in each compartment of the feeder. This is feed 4x a day, over a 2 hour period of time.

Daily 7am

FM UltraMin D and FM UltraMin S

Daily

Reef Nutrition ArticPods at 6:30am and 6pm dosed manually

Reef Nutrition OysterFeast at 7am dosed manually

Reef Nutrition Shellfish Diet at 7pm dosed manually

Daily at 6pm

frozen mysis shrimp

Daily at 8pm

frozen cyclops

Feather stars love Ultra min F! I mix in 1/2 a cup of tank water: an 1/8th of a teaspoon of Ultra Min F, one cube of red cyclops, 1ml of Reef Nutrition OysterFeast. Then I dose the feather stars directly using a Kent Sea Squirt.

Mike

Cool, you're the only other person (other than myself) that i know of who is currently keeping crinoids for an extended period of time!

I found that the black, green or yellow crinoids do best in captivity. I have not had success yet with Red crinoids, I had one for 6 months and when I came home from work one day it was dead. I have been trying to work on my documentation of keeping crinoids but it is limited; I have been documenting tank parameters, feeding response to different foods, visual variance, how long the species has been in my system, and any change to the specimen.

Mike

My orange one is over 3yrs old now. I don't know how old the new one is. I have found that the type with grey "feathers" do well for me. I have an orange one with grey feathers, and a yellow one with grey feathers, and purple tips. These are the only kind I have been able to get my hands on but I would still steer clear of the all red ones since they seen to be the toughest to keep. And I still don't recommend that just anybody try keeping them.

I added this thread to the sticky in the Biotopes forum, as well. Nice build, gotta make sure people can find it!

Cool! Thank you very much.

Mike

@Marteen Thank you

Before anyone asks....

Why red light?

Besides red light being visually different and not something everyone is accustom to seeing. Red lighting can be used to view nocturnal invertebrates without disturbing them since it seems that most can not see red light.

Mike

Started transferring a few corals over: so far one small purple Stereonephthya, 4 Rhizotrochus typus, 1 small Balanophyllia colony, and a few Dendrophyllia polpys.

Hopefully I will have a few gorgonians by the weekend.

Mike

Archived