Top Shelf Aquatics

Aquabacs' 50 Gallon Azooxanthellae Tank build

Aquabacs

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Jbobaloo.

Hope to get the plumbing set up this weekend. I got some parts in today (cepex ball valves and some small stuff) waiting on gray flex pvc scheduled for Monday (atleast UPS says it is on schedule to be delivered on Monday).

Mike

I'm thinking of getting this setup for the price it really is good I mean a 50gal with everything for 1100 is a really good deal want to see your's up cant wait good luck..

UPS just dropped off a few boxes and I can finally get to work on my plumbing. They also dropped off my NEO Arm light fixtures from Aquatouch

IMG_4896.jpg

Mike

You know I just saw the Cadlights Artisan tank in person yesterday and it is gorgeous. I like that the stand sits higher than most others so the tank is eye level. Really looking forward to see what you do with this Mike.

BTW, I was told that Cadlights is already working on a completely new tank/style, even though the artisan series just came out.

@Bio_Borg it all depends once everything is in the tank. Since I keep non-photosynthetic corals, light is for aesthetic purposes only and highlighting the aquarium. The Artisan tank can fit 6 on these fixtures if needed but it will effect the angle the light can be aimed at.

Mike

IMG_4900.jpg

Most of the plumbing is complete (minus the clamps on the return pump line) on the sump & waiting 24 hours before I run water through the system.

Additional items to be added to the sump: mj powerhead to help detritus from settling in the sump and mesh bag to run carbon passively in the center chamber in sump.

Mike

IMG_4900.jpg

interesting idea to turn that little plastic jug into, essentially, a super-sized collection cup. pretty smart fail safe. what would you do with the drain line when you empty it? cork it with that plastic piece that came with the skimmer? i was thinking about getting a little ball valve for the drain line but I haven't been able to find one locally.

@timdanger A picture of the underside of the cap. I used a zip tie to hold the hose tight enough so it will not slip out from the cap and plug the line with the cap that came with the skimmer when the collection container needs to be emptied.

IMG_4911.jpg

Mike

@Phyto4life Thanks!

Just finished wet running the tank for 2 hours with fresh water, nice and quiet. Time to drain it out and start mixing up some salt. The salt I am using is ESV B-Ionic Seawater System

Mike

Hey if i wanted to switch to this salt your using what would be the best way to make the transition...can just do my normal weekly w/c but use this salt...(29gBC 10g change a week) It would be really cool to beable to mix the salt and use it the same day instead of what i do now letting set and run for 24hrs...

I did the switch on my other tank with no transitition. If you want to be safe, you can do transition in quarters; 25% new to 75% old, then 50/50, then switch over completely or just do multiple small water changes. The great thing about the salt is that if you want to mix a gallon of salt you can, 5 gallon, 10 and so on. The salt comes with a measurement guide in the box.

Mike

I did the switch on my other tank with no transitition. If you want to be safe, you can do transition in quarters; 25% new to 75% old, then 50/50, then switch over completely or just do multiple small water changes. The great thing about the salt is that if you want to mix a gallon of salt you can, 5 gallon, 10 and so on. The salt comes with a measurement guide in the box.

Mike

So if i do my routine 5g weekly w/c with the new salt this will work just fine then??

westcoastreefer84

Do you plan to add anymore light? Nice build BTW. These tanks are very nice. I have been contemplating an upgrade and this is on my list.

I love the rock work man. Makes me feel like my tiny little ledge in my tank got nothing! Looking forward to seeing your tank rock'n and roll'n.

Do you plan to add anymore light? Nice build BTW. These tanks are very nice. I have been contemplating an upgrade and this is on my list.

The visual look I an looking to achieve is shadowy and not over lit. So most likely I will not add anymore lights. Aquascaping is just as important as your aquarium husbandry and I believe aquarium lighting is more often over looked in aquascaping. With limiting the lights used, you can create visual drama in the aquarium by creating focal points and shadows.

Mike

Archived