Pod Your Reef

Aquabacs' 50 Gallon Azooxanthellae Tank build

Aquabacs

nice.... that little corner of your rock structure is worth more than most peoples tanks!

Shhhh!

F#%k that looks crazy! Hunt for red october!

It is even more red than it looks.

Mike

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still working on the Aquascaping, I think it is coming along well. Gorgonians are are starting to open up since I transferred them from my 24.

IMG_4963.jpg

Mike

What growth do you get out of the balano? I really want a piece, but there isn't much info I can find.

I have grown 2 full polyps and one baby polyp in the last year. It produces heads like Dendrophyllia and Tubastrea just seems a lot slower though. I have heard a few people with single polyps that haven't been able to produce any more polyps. I bought a single polyp this week and see how long it takes to produce additional polyps.

Mike

I have grown 2 full polyps and one baby polyp in the last year. It produces heads like Dendrophyllia and Tubastrea just seems a lot slower though. I have heard a few people with single polyps that haven't been able to produce any more polyps. I bought a single polyp this week and see how long it takes to produce additional polyps.

Mike

Awesome, thanks for the reply. Where did you get yours?

:o I love your gorgonians~ :wub:

I've got my lfs on the lookout for gorgs like those, but I'm still playing the waiting game so far!

:happy: Seems that azoox will be the new SPS of the past.

:o I love your gorgonians~ :wub:

I've got my lfs on the lookout for gorgs like those, but I'm still playing the waiting game so far!

:happy: Seems that azoox will be the new SPS of the past.

Thanks! I hope to see Azoo aquarium keeping pick up but I doubt it will pick up as quickly as SPS coral keeping did.

The secret to finding beautiful Azoo corals is building a good relationship between your lfs and online vendors. They will look out for you. My friends know what I look for and will email, call or tweet me when something is available but you have to have patience. Certain corals, fish, and inverts are only available during certain seasons of the year. Me for an example, I am waiting on a certain fish, two were shipped into the country the first time last year and I will wait as long as I have to get one.

Mike

Just got emailed from a friend, this just came in andis shipping out to me on monday. Hint: It is not orange :D (hope it survives the shipping)

feather_sea_star1.jpg

Mike

IMG_4998.jpg

I have been tweeking my feeding, 80% of my gorgonians are staying open all day. Above is a picture of my favorite gorgonian. It is a white with red polyp West African Echinogorgia sp.

IMG_5000-1.jpg

My Balanophyllia was really expanded today so I grabbed a quick pic of it.

Mike

@Marteen Thank you

Before anyone asks....

Why red light?

Besides red light being visually different and not something everyone is accustom to seeing. Red lighting can be used to view nocturnal invertebrates without disturbing them since it seems that most can not see red light.

Mike

Very cool.....

Thanks! I hope to see Azoo aquarium keeping pick up but I doubt it will pick up as quickly as SPS coral keeping did.

The secret to finding beautiful Azoo corals is building a good relationship between your lfs and online vendors. They will look out for you. My friends know what I look for and will email, call or tweet me when something is available but you have to have patience. Certain corals, fish, and inverts are only available during certain seasons of the year. Me for an example, I am waiting on a certain fish, two were shipped into the country the first time last year and I will wait as long as I have to get one.

Mike

I picked up something very special today. The fish I have been waiting for became available. I should have in my possession on Wednesday if all goes well.

Ellerkeldia rubra

Mike

IMG_5020.jpg

Ellerkeldia rubra has arrived!

IMG_5032.jpg

The picture does not do this fish justice. It has beautiful yellow markings all over the lower half of it's face and is an amazing fish. Took a quick picture with my point and shoot. Once I get my new lens in for my camera I will shoot a few.

Mike

Very cool! What other fish are going in this tank?

Also, how are you tweaking your feeding?

Thanks! I have a few Parvulus Cardinals in the tank but I dont know how long they will last with him. I have a few people on the lookout for something special for my tank if it comes along but otherwise I am content on having just this fish. It is an extremely interesting fish but also semi-aggressive.

The feeding is coming along and has been tweeked well. I have to observe it for a period of time before I adjust. I am looking into adding a couple of other foods into the mix. One might be a new food from FM, I should find by the end of next week. Also I am looking into trying frozen Coral Food from H2O. I have heard some good thing about it from a few Azoo reefers on e-coralia.

Mike

Cool fish. Looks like a tiny bass/grouper.

Very cool tank you have there man, I love NPS, and will be tagging along.

pretty fish.

Thank you all.

Mike

Archived