Coral Vue Hydros

Pico Contest

hlander

Well yes this is true but I still have 19 days to decide which one to use. I have found in this hobby once you are hooked you always want more and more tanks I have 5 total one for each room debating if I want one for the hallway...lol... My wife says I need to be on that TV show obsessed.

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply
look at it this way

the "8gal " is outside deminsions NOT total water volume

so after you add the aio part lets say -1.5 to 2gal okay ?

then add you LS and LR thats taking about 2gal of water volume away 2

so your really only getting 4ish gal of water

True. but the same could be said about a 5 gal or 2 gal. You end up with 3ish and 1 ish gal of water? that is why i wanted a rule clarification on the filter volume. It gives you a HUGE adavantage if you could use any size you wanted. easier to hold water params and you could also do some livestock that you would normally not keep in a pico. Like in the LFS where they keep the little tangs and other fish in those Small vertical Cube displays. They are able to do this because it is connected to a HUGE Bio filter and the total water volume is Huge.

i am not for the 8gal nano. It is just that. A nano. not a Pico. If you got the cash to set that up, you got the extra 10 bucks to go buy a 5 gal aquarium.

its a pico contest buddie

water volume under 5gal = pico

2.5gal aio same as 5gal = pico

there is no contest rules where every tank has to be the same

tank cant be over 5gal water volume anything under is ok

you have a point but a tank larger than 5 gallons can allow u to put more live rock in for better filtration and more places to put corals even though the total volume maybe less than 5 gallons

NewBostonConst

I think you should just list a total system gallon size and let people decide how big they want the tank and how big they want everything else.

you have a point but a tank larger than 5 gallons can allow u to put more live rock in for better filtration and more places to put corals even though the total volume maybe less than 5 gallons

8gal biocube has less room for lr than i 5gal

oh ive got a question. lets say we buy some corals and they start to grow and really flourish and we decide to frag it. if we were to sell those frags(on this forum or elsewhere where the sale could be monitored/verified) would we be allowed to add that money we made back into our budget, as long as we retain atleast the amount of the coral than we started with.

expensive_hobby

im pretty sure that the definition for a pico is less than 5 gallons TOTAL volume INCLUDING rock and sand. i dont like the bc8 and nc6 idea. i know that the water volume in those is still cut short but it makes it a little less fair. i think we should keep it 5.5 aga and smaller. if you do the bc8 and nc6 then that should be a seperate category like mustang boy said. and make it so its <5g in one category and 5.1g-8g in the other. maybe even give the people with exactly 5g tanks the option to choose which category to compete in. like the eclipse 5g hex

I agree if its over 5g its not a pico. LOL I just got done cutting glass to make a 4g... :blink:

+1 on making 2 categories if anything or keeping it 5g or less.

This contest is becoming more convoluted and confusing every day and it would be best to finalize the rules before it gets more slippery slope around here. I need the rules before I commit and it's getting close to where I need to make my first order to get everything done by the starting date.

Also 8g tanks in a pico contest? Come on man.

Well I had to ditch my 5.5 because of an accident so before I order a new tank I would like to know all of these rule changes on tank size. My opion is keep it 5.5 gal or less. being that Anyone have any Idea what I should get.

Alright, I have made two different categories. 5g tanks can choose which division they want to be in.

are there gonna be prizes for both and if so are the original prizes from the sponsor split? :huh:

I know this is sort of late notice... And i know that it probably isn't fair but does anyone mind if i boost it up to 8g? There is a good deal on a Biocube 8g for me but i don't want 4 tanks. Its ok if you disagree just asking for opinions. I will stick with my 2.5g if it matters to someone.

I would definitely mind.

pismo_reefer

As would I....

this is a pico contest, not a nano....

8g? are you kidding me? thats moar volume than a 12x12 cube has!

I would finalize the rules TODAY, so there's no moar confuzzlement. ;)

*and by finalize I mean leave them alone.

how bout instead of a category for 6g aio and 8g aio you make a category for like 5.5-8g aio

If you really are going to do an 8g, I think the above is a good idea.

I feel like this started out as a Pico contest and if it's over 5g it really isn't a Pico.

And don't give me that nonsense about actual water volume either or I'll do this- :slap:

Personally I am getting really frustrated with ppl obviously trying to find ways to get around having more water volume, but if you really feel like that's okay then a Pico Category of under 5g and a Nano Category for 5g-8g would make a lot more sense.

This contest is becoming more convoluted and confusing every day and it would be best to finalize the rules before it gets more slippery slope around here. I need the rules before I commit and it's getting close to where I need to make my first order to get everything done by the starting date.

Also 8g tanks in a pico contest? Come on man.

This is exactly how I feel, I'm starting to get really frustrated with this.

Archived